Looking at the names in those SAFE minutes it's striking how few of them, who were so involved and so important to safeguarding supporters interests back then, are involved now - are any of them at all?
The names I know all still go week in week out.

There's mention in there of whether SAFE should've disbanded as it's job was done [chuckle] but that no, it should continue to fund raise, arrange events etc..

This for me is, by and large, all the Trust should be doing in "times of peace" as someone else put it, albeit whilst remaining an organised body that can act & get involved quickly should the :censored: ever hit the fan again in the future.

And I think that's all most people who want to get involved, whether it be as a member or a volunteer, want. Another way to be involved in and support their club away from Saturday afternoon.

How did it become this shadowy, authoritarian secret society?

I realise how utterly ridiculous that sounds but is it far off the mark?!

Going back to my point about the SAFE members, that illustrates how, over the years, different Latics fans with the time and inclination to do so have involved themselves in representing fellow supporters interests and then , for whatever reason, passed the mantle to others.

Regardless of the whys and wherefores isn't that all some people want here - a chance to get involved and do their bit?

It's got to a stage where Barry & the Trust are so evasive, so often that people are asking "what the :censored: is going on here?". The answer is almost certainly "not a lot" but they can't moan about the constant questioning and criticism when they've created an environment where people, rightly or wrongly, feel the need to do that.

It needs to be nothing more than a glorified supporters club in these times. Easy to join, worthwhile being a member and accessible & approachable whatever type of fan you are.
It should, first and foremost be a bit of fun and every fan, match going or otherwise, should want to be a member.

There could/should then be a, usually brief, email that goes out with the (disclosable) minutes from board meetings that the fans representative represents the fans at.

Too simple?

Edited by HarryBosch

• Replies 358
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking at the names in those SAFE minutes it's striking how few of them, who were so involved and so important to safeguarding supporters interests back then, are involved now - are any of them at all?

The names I know all still go week in week out.

There's mention in there of whether SAFE should've disbanded as it's job was done [chuckle] but that no, it should continue to fund raise, arrange events etc..

This for me is, by and large, all the Trust should be doing in "times of peace" as someone else put it, albeit whilst remaining an organised body that can act & get involved quickly should the :censored: ever hit the fan again in the future.

And I think that's all most people who want to get involved, whether it be as a member or a volunteer, want. Another way to be involved in and support their club away from Saturday afternoon.

I realise how utterly ridiculous that sounds but is it far of the mark?!

Going back to my point about the SAFE members, that illustrates how, over the years, different Latics fans with the time and inclination to do so have involved themselves in representing fellow supporters interests and then , for whatever reason, passed the mantle to others.

Regardless of the whys and wherefores isn't that all some people want here - a chance to get involved and do their bit?

It's got to a stage where Barry & the Trust are so evasive, so often that people are asking "what the :censored: is going on here?". The answer is almost certainly "not a lot" but they can't moan about the constant questioning and criticism when they've created an environment where people, rightly or wrongly, feel the need to do that.

It needs to be nothing more than a glorified supporters club in these times. Easy to join, worthwhile being a member and accessible & approachable whatever the type of fan you are.

It should, first and foremost be a bit of fun and every fan, match going or otherwise, should want to be a member.

There could/should then be a, usually brief, email that goes out with the (disclosable) minutes from board meetings that the fans representative represents the fans at.

Too simple?

This for me, is bang on. It's a pity I can only upboat you once for it.

I think that's all most people who want to get involved, whether it be as a member or a volunteer, want. Another way to be involved in and support their club away from Saturday afternoon.

I thought that you were talking about the Masons!

Aye, good post that HB.

Seems to have been a lot of willy waving and sniping going on, albeit with good intentions from most, but the shadowy figures have a cracking opportunity to get people back onside tonight, could almost turn it into a mini relaunch.

Open up, tell people what you're about, what you want to do and the help/support you need to achieve it.

Let's hope it goes well.

It needs to be nothing more than a glorified supporters club in these times. Easy to join, worthwhile being a member and accessible & approachable whatever type of fan you are.

Too simple?

Spot on Harry. This is the crux of it for me. The lines are now blurred a little with Playershare. Is it its own entity? Is it a Trust thing? Gawd knows.

I'd like to join the trust as a member if the communication and goals were clearer. I think most would. The politics side of stuff although it is always going to come with the territory isn't really much of a concern of mine.

And as an aside Lags. I don't personally think Nigel was going on a belittling campaign to make you look an idiot. I think it's your perception of it personally. No offence, it's just how I call it on this here thread. Words on here can easily be taken out of context.

Open up, tell people what you're about, what you want to do and the help/support you need to achieve it.

Let's hope it goes well.

Indeed.

I'm an exiled new member - what, if anything, can I do to help from afar? I am NOT an ideas person; I evaluate information and problem-solve. Are my skills of any use to the Trust?

The politics side of stuff although it is always going to come with the territory isn't really much of a concern of mine.

But would there need to be any politics if Barry, or any future fans representative, simply relayed information to us fans, asked (reasonable) questions to the board on our behalf and reported back with the answers?

If he did that, and did it with a smile on his face, all the other stuff he's able to do at the club would be viewed as a bonus by both SC and us rather than a potential conflict of interest.

Spot on Harry. This is the crux of it for me. The lines are now blurred a little with Playershare. Is it its own entity? Is it a Trust thing? Gawd knows.

I'd like to join the trust as a member if the communication and goals were clearer. I think most would. The politics side of stuff although it is always going to come with the territory isn't really much of a concern of mine.

And as an aside Lags. I don't personally think Nigel was going on a belittling campaign to make you look an idiot. I think it's your perception of it personally. No offence, it's just how I call it on this here thread. Words on here can easily be taken out of context.

Perhaps, like I said maybe it's me maybe it's not. However you'll know I don't hold grudges nor would I disagree with your not post purely on the grounds we had a set too in a previous one. It would help misunderstandings if everyone just cut out terms like labelling things idiotic etc., surely it's enough to plainly say you disagree with something.

Perhaps, like I said maybe it's me maybe it's not. However you'll know I don't hold grudges nor would I disagree with your not post purely on the grounds we had a set too in a previous one. It would help misunderstandings if everyone just cut out terms like labelling things idiotic etc., surely it's enough to plainly say you disagree with something.

Not telling people to :censored: off might help as well :D

Indeed.

I'm an exiled new member - what, if anything, can I do to help from afar? I am NOT an ideas person; I evaluate information and problem-solve. Are my skills of any use to the Trust?

Administration is clearly something the trust need help with, collecting people's views and having them placed in front of a fully inclusive voted in committee...........there's one you could do sat on your head with the skills you have.

Not telling people to :censored: off might help as well :D

For someone maxed out for time you seem to do ok on here. Sure you can't make tonight? Too be fair I let myself down with you last night, must do better with trolls. I think you're beef with Barry Is the fact he has the chair nothing more nothing less. Only my opinion.

For someone maxed out for time you seem to do ok on here. Sure you can't make tonight? Too be fair I let myself down with you last night, must do better with trolls. I think you're beef with Barry Is the fact he has the chair nothing more nothing less. Only my opinion.

HA! You are funny :)

You can't win an argument using any sort of mental ability so you label the opposition trolls and say I am only jealous. :censored:ing laughable but highly entertaining :)

I would be more than happy to keep Barry in charge if he started doing the things in the detailed thread I offered up on things the Trust needs to change. Its not who is in charge as a person, its what they are doing....

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/45027-trust-relaunch/?hl=%2Btrust+%2Brelaunch

Edited by oafc0000

HA! You are funny :)

You can't win an argument using any sort of mental ability so you label the opposition trolls and say I am only jealous. :censored:ing laughable but highly entertaining :)

I would be more than happy to keep Barry in charge if he started doing the things in the detailed thread I offered up on things the Trust needs to change. Its no who is in charge from as a person, its what they are doing....

Point proved...and by such an inferior mentally able fool.

Come on lets examine my opinion and ideas for change... and point out exactly where its just a personal beef with Barry....

This is the first posts from quite a detailed thread on the subject where I dared to spout my piece. The floor is yours....

http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/45027-trust-relaunch/?hl=%2Btrust+%2Brelaunch

As the main moaner on here I thought it was time I posted a positive thread...

One thing I am certain about is we NEED the Trust! But simply walking along and signing up now and parting with more money isn't going to happen until the Trust can demonstrate to me its changed. I feel many fans feel this way. So I would like to propose a number of steps for the trust to take to win back support.

Feel free to contribute.

1. Make use of modern day communication tools. The Trust website, Trust Twitter and Trust Facebook should be the main form of communication. Secondary should be fans forums like OWTB. Last of all should be face to face meetings, social events and so on. There really shouldn't be a need outside a yearly AGM for everyone to get together except for social / fund raising events. The world has moved on. People don't have time for that sort of monthly / quarterly meeting. I know people will immediately point to people without web access but the stark reality is you can't run something like this as if it was the 1980s still. The world has moved to online. Its time the Trust did.
  2. Real representation - If the Trust is not representing the fans it is not doing its job. Our man on the board has to be taking more than his own opinions to the board. Even when he doesn't agree with the fans consensus. The Trust is a Union and any good Union leader knows he is there to represent his membership first, second and last. Once you stop doing that its game over.
  3. Real democracy - One fan One vote. The current system of Director lead appointments for our guy on the board is not right. The fans should be choosing their representative. The Trust needs leaders, its need directors. But anyone should be able to stand for election to the OAFC board. The appointment should last no more than two years. Candidates should have to produce a brief explanation of why they should be elected and members should vote them in.
  4. Full transparency - Everything should be published on the Trust website. Accounts, Minutes, News, Events etc.
  5. Real consultation - Issues facing the club and being raised at board meetings should be put to the fans for consultation. Fans can be polled via the Trust website.
  6. Financial contribution - The membership fee is stupid low. I would suggest Playershare should be dissolved** - having a separate scheme like Playershare and a trust almost puts the two up against each other for our money. A new membership package need creating via the trust with a membership fee to suit with an option to make regular monthly contributions on top of this. The Trust as a collective can then decide how it wants to use the money, including helping fund players if that is what people choose.

Ok its a bit of a fag packet list but its something of a start. Feel free to add / counter suggest but keep it positive as possible.

**Please don't take this is any sort of criticism of a fantastic scheme.

Edited by oafc0000

Point proved...and by such an inferior mentally able fool.

How can you whinge about how "belittled" you are, yet seem to find it acceptable to call people trolls, tell them to :censored: off and label someone a mentally inferior fool?

Are you for real or just being an annoying WUM?

My Easy Voice Recorder app is Android on a Samsung, I don't think its available for free on iOS..

You could try downloading this similar free app and test it out in advance;

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/voice-record-pro/id546983235?mt=8

We have our residents committee meeting tomorrow too, if it finishes early I might be able to make it, if not and you have difficulty just ask one of your tech guys to set the volume level and make a test recording or two before going live.

Personally, I'd use the app as an aid for small meetings rather than big meetings as too many voices speaking at the same time may just add to the confusion.

Another free app worth checking out is;

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/voice-recorder-free/id685310398?mt=8

Many thanks BP may do this next time as I might not get chance to do it tonight

How can you whinge about how "belittled" you are, yet seem to find it acceptable to call people trolls, tell them to :censored: off and label someone a mentally inferior fool?

Now read the post again and who do I call mentally inferior? don't rush in. Then read the post above it and come back and tell me who implies is metally inferior. So the only charge I'll accept is calling a troll a troll. So yes, am real. Don't be shy in saying sorry, my mistake,

Just to clear that up for you, zero stated I couldn't win an argument mentally. Which implies I have difficulties..no/yes? so in reply I call myself mentally inferior....and what's a WUM?

I can only guess he is referring to the grammar mistakes in my post *shrugs* lol Yeah I shouldn't of hit post so quickly :)

Clearly you won the day Lags and its me who is sat here looking stupid :)

Not at all, I don't do the petty you made a mistake spelling and grammer :censored:e. So no I won no day on that score