The Sports Direct Stadium!

Broady does not have a team. He reports into Jenny. I suspect Broady has done a great job, but would be surprised if a deal this big did not include Jenny, and the CEO. Guess we will find out.

So big congrats to the Commercial Team, and all concerned. Assume the promotion is all part of that.

I would have thought a deal of this magnitude would be headed by Simon himself.

If this goes ahead, the money being used to fund the stand or pay off debt not withstanding, it will still count towards revenue and ease the FFP burden should investment in the playing squad be a priority; or indeed a necessity if we find ourselves in trouble again.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like a good deal financially, still be BP and hopefully they'll incorporate that in its official name. People talking of kit changes, name changes and Newcastle Brown worry me though!!! A bit of sponsorship is one thing but we shouldn't become an advert for Newcastle United

So what happens to the current shop then? I the not too distant future i can see it being a temporary changing rooms etc when the main stand is flattened

I'd imagine it would get flattened also in that case and replaced by a portacabin. Though I'd also doubt that Sports Direct would be interested in sponsoring a 3 sided ground.

So what happens to the current shop then? I the not too distant future i can see it being a temporary changing rooms etc when the main stand is flattened

Do you think main stand will be redeveloped soon? I doubt we'd get another new stand for at least another 5-10 seasons following completion of the one currently under construction....unless of course we get promoted and gates dramatically increase.

Also, isn't that building where boardroom etc is located listed or something?! With the road close by too we're limited on how that's developed.

Broady does not have a team. He reports into Jenny. I suspect Broady has done a great job, but would be surprised if a deal this big did not include Jenny, and the CEO. Guess we will find out.So big congrats to the Commercial Team, and all concerned. Assume the promotion is all part of that.

Reports into jenny - he wishes

Do you think main stand will be redeveloped soon? I doubt we'd get another new stand for at least another 5-10 seasons following completion of the one currently under construction....unless of course we get promoted and gates dramatically increase.

Also, isn't that building where boardroom etc is located listed or something?! With the road close by too we're limited on how that's developed.

if I win euro's tonight we are having a new main stand KTF

None of the ground is listed. I think you're right though, there's no way there'll be any significant construction work for a good few years after completion of the North Stand.

As long as the money goes towards improving the manager's kitty for the transfer windows I don't really mind

Exactly :coffee1: I've seen comments such as this is like a guaranteed cup run every year......well hang on these last few years we have had some pretty bloody good cup runs and the bottom line is that very little of the additional revenue has been invested back in the team. Hopefully the penny has finally dropped that crowds will only return to BP if there is a successful product on the pitch.

There are a few ifs, buts and hopes on this thread but the outline plan behind what is proposed is extremely positive for Oldham Athletic. A high profile name such as Sports Direct in the retail units would be a major coup in attracting other major outlets. A SD store would not be just somewhere for Latics fans to shop, but the whole community. It will be a busy store.

The potential knock-on effect for other units will not be lost with other companies - a fitness centre, for example who can feed off the expected foot-fall. producing a knock-on effect for everyone who takes space.

It appears that the clubs current sponsorship deal does not run out until the end of May. It is possible that the club will have to keep low profile for a while with SD's and others involvement, especially on the sponsorship side. But it appears to me (with half a business brain)there is a lot going on behind the scenes that smells of real progress in the long awaited turn around in our fortunes.

The present owners of our club have never ceased in their efforts to move us forward and 'some' of the dead ends we have been down have 'not' been of their making.

Since Corney has dug in his heels to stay at BP progress has been rapid, nor is it a cul-de-sac.

We are on the up, probably. Definitely, if we get another point.

There are a few ifs, buts and hopes on this thread but the outline plan behind what is proposed is extremely positive for Oldham Athletic. A high profile name such as Sports Direct in the retail units would be a major coup in attracting other major outlets. A SD store would not be just somewhere for Latics fans to shop, but the whole community. It will be a busy store.The potential knock-on effect for other units will not be lost with other companies - a fitness centre, for example who can feed off the expected foot-fall. producing a knock-on effect for everyone who takes space.It appears that the clubs current sponsorship deal does not run out until the end of May. It is possible that the club will have to keep low profile for a while with SD's and others involvement, especially on the sponsorship side. But it appears to me (with half a business brain)there is a lot going on behind the scenes that smells of real progress in the long awaited turn around in our fortunes.The present owners of our club have never ceased in their efforts to move us forward and 'some' of the dead ends we have been down have 'not' been of their making.Since Corney has dug in his heels to stay at BP progress has been rapid, nor is it a cul-de-sac.We are on the up, probably. Definitely, if we get another point.

There's an excellent opportunity to get kids shopping in Sports Direct to games by maybe offering a free ticket if spending a certain amount....

There's an excellent opportunity to get kids shopping in Sports Direct to games by maybe offering a free ticket if spending a certain amount....

Just by coming down Hilbre Avenue and seeing the Stand should give people of all ages a buzz. I am sure there will be incentives.

Fantastic news it would seem! Well done SC!

:OASISscarf:

I quite like the name! It will always be Boundary Park to me though :) People get to worked up over these sponsorship deals. If it brings in money they can call it what they like :)

Edited by oafc0000

The best goalie gloves I had as a kid were Sondico. I could never really afford the Uhlsport ones, which all the top keepers had back in the day.

No gloves when I was a kid Mr Shankly, all my knuckles look like gobstoppers.