The Sports Direct Stadium!

Think this deal could be equivalent of signing Warren Feeney.

You think it's a great deal at first, the answer to all our problems but soon after you realise it wasn't such a great deal, infact it's pretty :censored:.

And the typical latics OWTB pessimism is back

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well SD will want something in return for their seven figure sum over 5 years. They won't be handing a sum like that over because they like the club. The shop will be run by them and we'll only get a percentage of sales from it whereas at the moment we will pretty much be maximising revenue from it.

Shirts will be made and sponsored by them, they'll want something extra out of us selling them, they won't be doing that and charging normal manufacturing prices for it. Stockport did a deal with Nike and they took over their shop, I recall that was a bad move for them from speaking to County fans I know.

They might be giving us a good sum of money every season in the deal but things we generate income in now could be reduced with the deal.

I hope the money coming in far outweighs what we could stand to lose in other areas.

Would like to ask a question regarding some of the stock in the shop. Will it be filled with other teams shirts? The likes of Newcastle, United and city

If it's a Sports Direct store it will likely have shirts for sides around England, Europe and possibly the rest of the world.

Just been told that the whole package of stadium name, kit sponsorship and shop is only worth £80k a year

I thought it was undisclosed.

My guess is that the structuring of the deal will be lump sum up front, annual payment and a percentage of sales (probably less than 5%).

£80k as an annual payment within that sort of deal would be excellent.

Just been told that the whole package of stadium name, kit sponsorship and shop is only worth £80k a year

Who is releasing that information? The deal isn't even done yet but supposedly people at the club who know all the details of the deal are telling others who are spreading it found on messageboards.

If it's a Sports Direct store it will likely have shirts for sides around England, Europe and possibly the rest of the world.

It can sell all manner of sports attire without having to sell other club's shirts. If there are City and United shirts in what will effectively be our club shop, I'll be well miffed. We're not that tinpot surely...

And the typical latics OWTB pessimism is back

You know the reaction on this thread has been overall very positive many clubs supporters would be up in arms about renaming what has been the clubs home for over 100 years after a sponsor. When Newcastle renamed st james park to the sports direct arena most fans kicked up a right stink and this was a sponsorship deal many multiples of what we are getting. I hope Barry an Simon Corney have taken note of this. Having said that if we start next season with a poor squad it could be used as a stick to beat them with.

If it does come off I think we will see a branch of Sports Direct that has a section that sells Latics tat. So there will be trainers, leisure wear, other team's shirts...etc.. and Latics merchandise.

The Sports Direct shop will be an anchor tenant in the development that brings other named stores in which is a good thing, we wouldn't get this from just moving the club shop into one of the retail spaces in the stand. I'd prefer not to have the kits of other teams available in the ground but this does make good economic sense.

If it does come off I think we will see a branch of Sports Direct that has a section that sells Latics tat. So there will be trainers, leisure wear, other team's shirts...etc.. and Latics merchandise.

The Sports Direct shop will be an anchor tenant in the development that brings other named stores in which is a good thing, we wouldn't get this from just moving the club shop into one of the retail spaces in the stand. I'd prefer not to have the kits of other teams available in the ground but this does make good economic sens

Won't all sales go to Sports Direct though, none into the Latics coffers, the money for the club coming from the sponsorship/unit rental ?

Edited by BP1960

You'd hope that part of the terms of any deal were that the only team's shirts sold in the Sports Direct outlet in the new stand were Latics and England (Maybe Scotland, Wales etc if they really want to stock them). Sports Direct should see sense there, after all selling City & United shirts would be actively devaluing the product/asset they are sponsoring.

What am I missing? There seems to be 9 pages of unalloyed joy here based on a firm whose shops make a market stall look like Harrods appearing to have won an unconfirmed contract to run such a shop; a deal which may or may not lead to stadium naming rights for an undisclosed and unconfirmed sum.

?