The Sports Direct Stadium!

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Aldi all the way! Largest grocer in Germany, buying power larger than Tesco and they pass the savings right on to me, the consumer. Most food is supplied from a small number suppliers so the same stuff that is in Waitrose, Sainsburys is in Farmfoods, Iceland, Aldi, why pay more for the same products with a different label?

If you took the pepsi challenge on most things you couldn't tell whether it came from Harrods or Aldi.

Aye I went to a whisky night recently where the chap told us that Aldi's whisky comes from the top distilleries in Scotland. The terms of whatever deal they have however dictates that they can't specify which on the bottle, so they sell at low prices. It's a cracking shop.

You'd hope that part of the terms of any deal were that the only team's shirts sold in the Sports Direct outlet in the new stand were Latics and England (Maybe Scotland, Wales etc if they really want to stock them). Sports Direct should see sense there, after all selling City & United shirts would be actively devaluing the product/asset they are sponsoring.

This might be impossible/non negotiable if Sports Direct have set distribution agreements with suppliers.

Certain products might be must stocks across all Sports Direct outlets as part of their contracts.

Talking of shirts and sponsorship, this time last year was when we launched the current home shirt...May 2nd 2013,

When is the new one due or will it be delayed until the SD sponsorship is sorted? Surely plans must have been put in place for months earlier to arrange design, supply and manufacture?

Stadium owner?

That would be OAFC then.

How many times??? The people you are referring to are directors of the company that owns THE LAND that the Stadium is built on, NOT the stadium.

Are you joking. If the club owned the stadium we would just pay a token lease hold fee to the land owner but we don't, the land and the stadium and the new stand are owned by TTA not oafc.

• 2 weeks later...

Newcastle fans are tweeting that he's sniffing round a league one club rumoured to be us and that we should be worried about that.

The gap between footballing rich and poor illustrated right there.....

Sounds a bit of a tight bastard, all that money yet his investment in Newcastle remains fairly :censored:e.

Still, an extra few quid on that sponsorship package wouldn't go amiss haha.

He's not tight but a shrewd and rational businessman.

He's ambitious - you don't accrue £3.8bn if you're not - but realistic when it comes to what Newcastle can achieve in the Prem. Top half position is his target at moment - safeguard the £60m per year, fund the squad without heavily getting into debt but if Newcastle outperform and get in top six and generate extra millions then use that to strengthen further.

Similar to Corney at our level.

It's great to want millions pumped into building a squad when spending someone else's money but risking the club going bankrupt, into administration and docked points isn't worth the risk these days. Incremental growth rather than boom...and then the inevitable bust.

If i was that cockney i'd think to myself, 'screw you, moaning Geordies, in relative terms i can achieve a lot for my money by going to that nice club over the Pennines.'

Imagine if he tried to bring a pint into one of our stands? There'd be stewards all over him in seconds like a high viz Navy SEAL team .

Are you joking. If the club owned the stadium we would just pay a token lease hold fee to the land owner but we don't, the land and the stadium and the new stand are owned by TTA not oafc.

Why does the club pay for the upkeep of the stadium then?

Why does the club pay for the upkeep of the stadium then?

Fully Repairing Lease?

It's very common in commercial property leasing.

I'm fairly certain that TTA do indeed own the stadium (and land) through Brassbank as the stadium (and land) was originally sold to OMBC some years pre-TTA when David Brierley was chairman. At no point since has the club (OAAFC) bought the stadium back.

But....and it is a crucial but.......the club (OAAFC) have a lease, presumably (risky to presume..?) at a peppercorn rate, for a period which I think is 20 years with an option for a further 20 years.

Newcastle Chronicle suggests that Newcastle not supportive of a B league but open to idea of a feeder club. Gateshead is the club mentioned should they secure league status and same article claims Newcastle distancing themselves from Ashley buying a stake in Oldham....however....

Ashley fetches me as a man who doesn't take rejection and even though the league states that an owners cannot hold a stake in more than one league club, I'm sure he can find a loophole or way around this. Sponsorship, ownership of stadium etc etc

I'm not saying he'd buy into Oldham but it would make more sense to have us as that feeder club as we play at a higher level and with us on doorstep of many Prem clubs, Newcastle could use us as a scouting hub for young talent.

We've secured the pre-season friendly, announcements on shirt and shirt sponsors not communicated yet, Ashley buying LA fitness and our club to have a gym in new stand...could well be 2 + 2 = 5 but it's all stacking up and a relatively small investment for Ashley could deliver a decent return on and off the field at the Sports Direct Stadium....

• 3 weeks later...

was someone saying that diodora would probably be the kit manufacturer's? Jenny warburton has tweeted a picture of the webmaster taking a picture of what looks to be a new line of diodora trainers in the club shop, could tie in I guess.

I know, im bored.

Edited by 4froale