The Sports Direct Stadium!

Re: the seven figures over 5years, if the deal happens, will no doubt be based on the share of the profits from the shop. It won't be a straight cash for sponsorship deal. In other words ignore talk of seven figures unless the store is a massive success.

Still, if the deal does happen it will be a huge improvement on the current setup - credit to SC for this one...unless of course the M.E.N disclosure has scuppered it ;-)

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't the news article say something like "approaching 7 figures". That's 6 figures to me.

The article reads as "I read a thread on owtb about club shop and refunds which suggested outsourcing the shop. I asked a few people at the club what was happening and managed to get them to tell me the basics about Sports Direct, shop and stadium. They didn't tell me any numbers I could use in my article so I speculated".

The article reads as "I read a thread on owtb about club shop and refunds which suggested outsourcing the shop. I asked a few people at the club what was happening and managed to get them to tell me the basics about Sports Direct, shop and stadium. They didn't tell me any numbers I could use in my article so I speculated".

Local news reporters wouldn't do that would they?!

I'm half and half. I'm heavily opposed to this sort of stuff. I dislike name changes that are tacky simply to appease the marketing side of the game. They'll have awful signs up all over the place and it'll look dire. Yes, it's Boundary Park to us and it will forever remain so but others around the country will forget that name ever existed. I can't recall some of the other unique stadium names. To me most have been lost. I'd rather know the names of stadiums and stands without having to search on the internet. You get used to seeing the names in the newspapers and hearing them on the broadcasted match reports.

I propose a permanent banner to all fixtures with a subtle reminder that we play at Boundary Park and nowhere else.

Anyway, the positive side. It's lucrative - or so it seems. This, of course, is excellent for us. As long as it stops there I'm 95% happy. It is bright and positive.

Sorry to sprinkle some every-so-slightly depressed words on to this thread.

Edited by UpTheLatics

I can't recall some of the other unique stadium names.

St James Park? Eastlands?

Of a similar vein, Walkers or King Power stadium? Galpharm or John Smiths? For ex storm fans on here, Manchester Evening News/Nynex arena or phones4u arena? After so long, the formers stick more than the new change!

Edited by joncurtis199

St James Park? Eastlands?

Of a similar vein, Walkers or King Power stadium? Galpharm or John Smiths? For ex storm fans on here, Manchester Evening News/Nynex arena or phones4u arena? After so long, the formers stick more than the new change!

I find most City supporters now call it the Etihad.

I refer mostly to the clubs in the Football League. Such as Whaddon Road.

Whaddon Road is the Abbey Business Stadium now according to FootballGroundGuide.

Bournemouth will always be known as Dean Court to me even though it's now the Goldsands Stadium. Also, up until about a month ago I hadn't even realised Pride Park had been renamed!

Thats beause it's not Maine road it's a new ground

Noblot will still be playing at the Reebok(to the fans) even though its now the Macron

I refer mostly to the clubs in the Football League. Such as Whaddon Road.

Technically Eastlands is actually the mouthful City of Manchester Stadium and so it's easier to call it the Ethiad.

Though on the otherhand there is of course the Lookers.

Technically Eastlands is actually the mouthful City of Manchester Stadium and so it's easier to call it the Ethiad. OR THE COUNCIL HOUSE

Though on the otherhand there is of course the Lookers.

FTFY

Thinking that this being reported may scupper the deal.

Usually happens that big companies want it all done and dusted and a joint announcement.

Remember m&s pulling out of Oldham twice because it got leaked.

So tba, but I'm not against it

Think next season will be a good one for all concerned

Name changes do stick at times - for many the old stand was the Lookers but for some of us it was the Ford.

But the longevity of the Boundary Park name means that it's unlikely to be lost.

Fortress Boundary Park is much better than Fortress Sports Direct Stadium....

Think this deal could be equivalent of signing Warren Feeney.

You think it's a great deal at first, the answer to all our problems but soon after you realise it wasn't such a great deal, infact it's pretty :censored:.