What do you think of this ?

I would have agreed with this 5 or 10 years ago.

But, it's changed.

When I was a kid and into my 20's I wouldn't miss an England friendly, in fact I probably never did from being a young kid until maybe age 30.

But then Gascoigne, Beardsley, Lineker, Shearer, Butcher, Pearce etc were replaced with Ferdinand, Ashley Cole, Rooney and various other objectionable wankers who epitomise everything that has become wrong with top flight football in this country.

Every England game was always on TV aswell at a time when ITV's Big Match was our only opportunity to watch live football on TV. Nowadays I'd rather watch Chelsea playing Atletico Madrid than an England friendly with a third string Brazil side.

And friendlies - we used to field full strength sides for 70 minutes and, if I remember rightly, had a decades long record of never having been beaten at home. Nowadays they're a farce, mainly due to Premier League clubs calling the shots with regards to how long England are allowed to use their player for.

And Latics was a predominantly enjoyable experience during those days and a matchday only pastime, now you're SOMETIMES WORRIED whereas back then all was well and you can talk about it with other Latics fans all day long on the internet. It's become all consuming where it never even could have been in the past.

It's changed.

Don't get me wrong though, tournament summers watching England games in the pub with mates are second only to a decent Latics away trip and probably better than Stevenage at home on a cold Saturday in October. If we do ever win anything that weekend for me will be as lost as anybody elses.

It's still not quite the same as it used to be though and Oldham is more important than England to me now when there was a time they'd have been equal.

These proposal's from Dyke have highlighted the fact I don't actually care about England as much as I used to and care about Latics more. Or both.

Thanks for that Harry, saved me writing my reply there.

Sums up my stance nicely that does.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree with Harry here. I'll be well into the World Cup generally, will definately want England to do well and will be pissed off when we're knocked out but I don't feel anything like I did a few years ago. I used to think that England matches were my/ our chance to actually support these players and have them perform for us - and I enjoyed that. This year, I'll probably be bemoaning their lack of Lockwoodness.

Sly and Cesky. I don't get it. Why the 'detatchment' from the English team? What does supporting a lower league team have to do with anything? Does that mean if we were in the premier league and had an international then you'd be a fan again? What about a bit of national :censored:ing pride? The only attachment you have with Oldham Athletic is that (presumably) you were born here. And I'm also presuming you were born in England? Just because we are too :censored: (yeah I said it) to have Internationals in our team doesn't mean you shouldn't follow them. That's just bitterness.

I also have lost total interest in our national team, when the players start to show a bit of national pride I might start watching again, self glorification is all they seem interested in.

The thing is, it's not really the players fault that they earn extortionate amounts of money. I put it to every one of you that if you were offered that cash to do your job then u would take it. Also, it's not the players fault if their clubs pull them out of friendlies, they pay the wages. And thirdly, I can't say I have ever seen an England game and thought, Johnny Cashbag there isn't playing very well, it must be because he earns a disgusting amount and he has no national pride? Four. It's not the players fault that the games aren't on terrestrial TV, blame Murdoch.

And what exactly is self glorification? Wanting to be the best player in your given position and wanting the adulation of thousands? THATS THEIR JOB!

I just don't get it. Yeah ok, Ashley Cole cheated on the lovely Cheryl. He's a grade one bell end just for that in my eyes, but it doesn't mean he doesn't want to win the World Cup. Rio Ferdinand owns a restaurant. Ok, he's flush with cash and it's a good investment, doesn't mean he ever gave less than 100% for England. Wayne Rooney has had a hair transplant. He doesn't like being bald and can afford it. He doesn't :censored: out of heading the ball though?

Come on fellas, I don't think it's the players that are lacking in national pride. I think it's the fans.

The thing is, it's not really the players fault that they earn extortionate amounts of money. I put it to every one of you that if you were offered that cash to do your job then u would take it. Also, it's not the players fault if their clubs pull them out of friendlies, they pay the wages. And thirdly, I can't say I have ever seen an England game and thought, Johnny Cashbag there isn't playing very well, it must be because he earns a disgusting amount and he has no national pride? Four. It's not the players fault that the games aren't on terrestrial TV, blame Murdoch.

And what exactly is self glorification? Wanting to be the best player in your given position and wanting the adulation of thousands? THATS THEIR JOB!

I just don't get it. Yeah ok, Ashley Cole cheated on the lovely Cheryl. He's a grade one bell end just for that in my eyes, but it doesn't mean he doesn't want to win the World Cup. Rio Ferdinand owns a restaurant. Ok, he's flush with cash and it's a good investment, doesn't mean he ever gave less than 100% for England. Wayne Rooney has had a hair transplant. He doesn't like being bald and can afford it. He doesn't :censored: out of heading the ball though?

Come on fellas, I don't think it's the players that are lacking in national pride. I think it's the fans.

This sort of sums up how detached I think the England players are - from the last World Cup.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/7839668/England-v-Algeria-Wayne-Rooney-criticises-fans.html

I'd love them to be able to play in a way that fires the imagination but I think they reach a point where a successful World Cup campaign is one where they get a cameo in the Nike advert.

It's nothing to do with the money where I'm concerned.

Most England players in the 80's and 90's had more money than I'll ever have - good luck to them.

This sort of sums up how detached I think the England players are - from the last World Cup. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/world-cup/7839668/England-v-Algeria-Wayne-Rooney-criticises-fans.html

I'd love them to be able to play in a way that fires the imagination but I think they reach a point where a successful World Cup campaign is one where they get a cameo in the Nike advert.

I saw that as a player that was frustrated due to being beaten. If anything that shows he's hurt by the booing, which shows he cares in my opinion. If he trudged off like he didn't give a :censored:, that would be more of a concern?

Is it right in saying that with the ban on European players we would not be able to sign the likes of wesolowski kusunga if it came about in 2017-18. How is this fair on us when a man city can spend loads on an augero or the next big thing. These forego players help to develop the younger players and if you have a look at the lower most are British born players. Why don't they do something about the premier greed that will sort it out. Like Adrian Durham stated that there is a lot of Wnglish players playing like Lallana and Barkley you only need 23 players I'm show we have enough for that

Wes had Polish citizenship before he joined Leicester, through his family connections I'd think, so even without the 10 or so years living in this country, enough to qualify him for UK citizenship, we could have signed him, even if he plays for Australia

Kusunga, even though he plays for Angola is Swiss born, that makes him the equivalent of a citizen of the European Economic Administration (EEA), which means he can play anywhere in the EEA (the EU plus Iceland, Norway and Finland, I think), due to the free-trade agreement between Switzerland and the EEA.

If Farage becomes PM (as likely as I am to marry Miley Cyrus), then we might not be able to sign players from the EEA anymore, once these rules are supposed to come in. (I've not exactly been paying attention to UKIPs policies as the chances of me voting for them are even less likely as me marrying Miley Cyrus).

There aren't many players in the Premierhsip and below who don't have EU/EEA/Swiss citizenship.

Wes had Polish citizenship before he joined Leicester, through his family connections I'd think, so even without the 10 or so years living in this country, enough to qualify him for UK citizenship, we could have signed him, even if he plays for Australia

Kusunga, even though he plays for Angola is Swiss born, that makes him the equivalent of a citizen of the European Economic Administration (EEA), which means he can play anywhere in the EEA (the EU plus Iceland, Norway and Finland, I think), due to the free-trade agreement between Switzerland and the EEA.

If Farage becomes PM (as likely as I am to marry Miley Cyrus), then we might not be able to sign players from the EEA anymore, once these rules are supposed to come in. (I've not exactly been paying attention to UKIPs policies as the chances of me voting for them are even less likely as me marrying Miley Cyrus).

There aren't many players in the Premierhsip and below who don't have EU/EEA/Swiss citizenship.

So in effect the UK could pull out of the EEA and like Switzerland have a free trade agreement with them?

Is that because you don't want to, or her?

So in effect the UK could pull out of the EEA and like Switzerland have a free trade agreement with them?

Yeah I don't see why not. Except that the EEA would have to agree and it might be a bit like agreeing to stay in the same house with your partner after separating.

Is that because you don't want to, or her?

No I'd marry her. I'd take massive precautions first though.

It's more the case that I don't think she would be interested in a small intelligent bloke like me, even if I've been to Gillingham

So, in summary, if we want to win a World Cup we need to vote UKIP?

Yeah I don't see why not. Except that the EEA would have to agree and it might be a bit like agreeing to stay in the same house with your partner after separating.

True, plus the fact Switzerland has certain financial advantages.

Everything detestable that I think about this idea has been very succinctly put elsewhere!

However for all that Greg Dyke wants castrating i'm almost more pissed off by some of the clubs involved in this.

Stoke, :censored:ing Stoke!!!! Who have played anti-football for the past 5 years...had bummed about in the lower leagues for decades and can't produce a player with more technical abilty than Andy 'chopper' Wilkinson are moralising about the technical wizards they will produce with a B team. Outrageous in every way.

Swansea, Hull, West Ham (who's 'A' team we once had the temerity to beat 6-0 in a major semi final you know!!!) and all those who have been in the lower leagues in recent memory - shame on you and your managers!!

The other self interested tossers at the top end of the table - I wouldn't have expected anything less!!