What do you think of this ?

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are premier league clubs not better off loaning their young starlets to championship clubs rather than league 2 clubs?

I don't see this as being a great beneficiary to them whatsoever nevermind us so I can't see this firstly going through or secondly making any difference to young players coming through the ranks.

What 'works' in other countries' lower league system has little relevance to the English system as the quality of and support for lower league football is substantially greater on these shores.

The above just about sums it up for me.

The below came from the football league a few weeks ago.

Totally different setups and points of view between countries. I was actually shocked that League One is the 10th best attended league in Europe.

Bl6hG-UCAAAU2WN.jpg

The above just about sums it up for me.

The below came from the football league a few weeks ago.

Totally different setups and points of view between countries. I was actually shocked that League One is the 10th best attended league in Europe.

Bl6hG-UCAAAU2WN.jpg

That uses aggregate attendance, using average attendance would be fairer as we will play at least 8 games more than most of those leagues, if not more.

Could the FL protect the Conference by incorporating them into the FL set up? Or would that cause trouble for the divisions below?

If the FA were set on this idea (and it's a big if) the rest of the 'footballing fraternity' should surely do their best to protect as many clubs as possible...

What's wrong with a properly structured reserve premier league?

named squads, properly arranged fixture list, nothing behind closed doors, possible age limits with a few overs etc.

Indeed - How is playing in the football league any better than what could otherwise be organised.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

That uses aggregate attendance, using average attendance would be fairer as we will play at least 8 games more than most of those leagues, if not more.

You are correct but it is official UEFA benchmarking so I'm sure they will have taken that into account.

AJAX, FC Twente play there youth side in the league below, Porto, Benfica & Sporting Lisbon started doing it last season. Also it stops clubs turning sides into Nursery clubs.

Good for them. The Dutch system is entirely different to ours.

Maybe it's just worth looking into rather than just dismissing it maybe bring it in at the conference level.

So balls to the fans of the Conference clubs who have to be moved down the pyramid to accommodate the PL reserves? Or get to trek up to Sunderland Reserves Away in front of one man and his dog?

I'm surprised you'd be happy to entertain this as IIRC from your previous posts you do have an affinity for some non-league football.

Edited by jsslatic

So balls to the fans of the Conference clubs who have to be moved down the pyramid to accommodate the PL reserves? Or get to trek up to Sunderland Reserves Away in front of one man and his dog?

I'm surprised you'd be happy to entertain this as IIRC from your previous posts you do have an affinity for some non-league football.

Just basing on the standard of football i seen at reserve team level and it stops clubs from becoming permement nursery clubs. Anyway look at it from another pespective.

1. Conference itself is more of a division 3 nowdays but in recent years how many clubs have dropped down and then go under and had to reform Scarborough, Halifax, Chester, Darlington, Rushden, just a few to mention.

2. By having B teams in the league i suspect they be under 19's only but the idea of say a Telford v Chelsea B may get few more fans along and those who want to go watch a different game. Therefore generate extra cash for these clubs.

Anyway its just an idea lets see what happens i just think look at what potential positives could be gained rather than just knocking it. I did suggest a while back going back to BP earlier post about Oldham playing reserves playing once in the Lancashire combination, we should see about putting our reserves in the Manchester Premier Cup.

I think it's a great idea and should be implemented the day after all the big city clubs agree to merge. Places like Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield, Bristol etc would be much stronger with only one club.

Indeed - How is playing in the football league any better than what could otherwise be organised.

One advantage, you would see how the Ellis Plummer's coped at league level before taking them on loan.

It might mean that the PL academies expand, so they have enough players for two squads, rather than reducing the amount of players available for loan. Although the chances of Latics getting a player like Baxter again would be gone, he'd just be lost in the Everton system.

There's got to be a better way of success. Starting with the World Cup this year, where if Hodgson is anywhere near realistic he'll take youth and give them tournament experience.

One advantage, you would see how the Ellis Plummer's coped at league level before taking them on loan.

One of my points is players stuck in reserves and acadamies dont play enough and often quit when released. It will help there game playing in a more competitive level and good chance if they dont make it other clubs having seen them play may pick them up.

An ill thought out idea; although City are going to develop their training ground to a decent standard - it makes you think about who knows what. It's clearly set up for the big clubs to feature ahead of a pyramid that already produces quality and quantity - we'll have second string teams from the Championship and above diluting the scene at the bottom ending in a lot of hard working non-league clubs going to the wall.

Nothing wrong with the Central League, it worked - just re-invent it.

In unrelated news, England Semi Professional team now have fixtures against National U-23 sides and are holding their own...

dreadful.The interests of the elite put before everyone else . it'd be a kick in the face to the conference clubs & once these reserve teams rise up the league it'll impact on everyone's attendances.Think they'll bring any fans with them? It'd probably also increase their hoovering up of any talent worth speaking of.

Looks like football's finally catching up with the rest of the country then.

One of my points is players stuck in reserves and acadamies dont play enough and often quit when released. It will help there game playing in a more competitive level and good chance if they dont make it other clubs having seen them play may pick them up.

A competitive structure can be provided to tick that box, it doesn't need to be implemented within the current professional structure. Elite clubs recruit lots of players, so by way of natural selection, some will lose out. They are seduced by the money etc but in the end it may not be a good move to go to a big club. Should academies have caps in regards to the amount of players they recruit?

Is there a way for smaller clubs to club together to run their own regional Elite Academies, recieving funding from the FA and then each member club gets to draft players or a way that they each recruit their own at the start, but training/education is pooled so that better facilities and staff can be employed?

Many ways to skin a cat here and they don't always have to focus around the big clubs (but usually do).