George Hill Stand next?

Talk of the possible redevelopment of the George Hill Stand keeps cropping up with concerns about the changing rooms and ticket office common. The aerial photos of our new stand are very impressive but it highlights the fact that we may have a problem under the Trades Description laws if we continue to refer to the George Hill as the Main Stand. In the photos it looks more like the stand we have just knocked down.

When they eventually decide to rebuild or renovate the Main Stand I cant imagine a narrow cul-de-sac will be used to meet and greet opposition players, directors and other dignitaries. Surely if we are ever going to give an impressive, welcoming first impression to visitors, it must be the view from Broadway and down Hilbre Ave towards the stunning facade of our new stand.

I would like to see the George Hill replaced/redeveloped be a simple pitch length stand with heavily upgraded fans facilities and integral media gantry in the roof. Maybe a row of executive boxes if it is felt these could be self- financing.

A new corner block would be built beside the new stand. It could easily be 2 or 3 stories high to encompass new players and executive lounges, changing rooms, ticket office and management facilities. The cost should not be too prohibitive as they would need to be built into a plan somewhere else anyway.

I put this forward because there has been no mention of any of these facilities being incorporated in the new build. Indeed, the club have gone to great lengths to extoll the income creating opportunities that they are cultivating for the Broadway side.

Surely, Furtherwood Road is well passed its sell-by date as the welcoming hub of a modern Professional Football Club.

And yes, I know it all depends on further investment from somewhere.

i heard the outside of the main stand is on the grade 2 list and cannot be changed

People on here have suggested and also looked into that and there's nothing anywhere to say that it is a listed building.

I don't see why it would be either, it is essentially a :censored:hole that needs slinging down. I suspect when developed it'll be a RRE mark 2 with the inclusion of changing rooms etc. nothing special.

Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but if the George Hill Stand is renovated I hope some of the stand's character is preserved. Not so much the archaic bogs and the zero leg-space, but I really like the two-tier design, and there's something seemingly fitting about its mill-like brick front.

A RRE type stand and facilities would be nice of course. But a football ground's character and priceless IMO.

Call me an old fuddy-duddy, but if the George Hill Stand is renovated I hope some of the stand's character is preserved. Not so much the archaic bogs and the zero leg-space, but I really like the two-tier design, and there's something seemingly fitting about its mill-like brick front.

A RRE type stand and facilities would be nice of course. But a football ground's character and priceless IMO.

I like the idea of brick cladding. I think the Oldham Arena plans had that feature.

Totally agree

ShireBlue has it spot on in my opinion.

Whilst it's evidently not fit for purpose today, I'd hate to see it ripped down to accommodate a 'simple stand' (as the original poster says) you could see identical copies of at any new build of a stadium. How many stands do you see around the country that are backed with bricks like the Main Stand is? It definitely characterises BP to me. And fact that there is an idea among fans that it is Grade 2 listed is indicative of the character it holds to many.

While it's fantastic to see the new North Stand go up and witness the club finally looking fit for the 21st century, I feel like BP would lose something irreplaceable if there was a completely new stand put in the Main Stand's place.

Something built in 1904 is worthy of more effort than simply being bulldozed over. I'd at least hope the club would consider renovating it if only for cost, but sentimentality is priceless. Not to mention it won't be warranted when we'll have an abundance of good facilities with the North Stand.

Edited by NewBlue

You'd have to add brickwork at either end and it would possibly lose it's charm.....also it would probably cost more to refurbish than to build a new one.

It doesn't help that it is'nt the full length of the pitch and that there is limited space and a slope towards the CRE.

I'm all for tradition and perhaps a mill type outer facade design ( a la Failsworth ) could be adopted.

I don't see the point of a refurbishment under the circumstances and a new stand built in the old tradition would be my preference.

It's not on the English Heritage listed buildings list for Oldham.

At the last "meet the manager" event Barry mentioned that they'd had a quote for refurbishment of the stand but there didn't seem to be any rush to do anything (which is hardly surprising as at that stage I don't think a huge amount of progress had been made with the North Stand, tenants and the like).

I think we should walk before we can run. The last story I heard on the rumour mill was that there was a gap in the financials to pay for the kitchen equipment which needs more than a microwave to cater for 500 people in the conferencing area. While I don't doubt that Uncle Simon will have plans to fix that, as the conferencing is the Monday to Friday income that the development needs to deliver, it has to take priority over the still functional Main Stand.

I would be surprised if there was any attempt to move changing room facilities to the other side of the ground. In the short term, what we've got is prehistoric but functional. It's an easy enough place for coaches to get to and you can drop visiting players off on one side of the ground and then move through to park at the North Stand where the directors can use the new entrance there.

I believe there was consideration to putting changing rooms etc in the new stand but this would have added £1m to the cost and reduced space for other income generators. I'd love a stand that runs the full length of the ground on the Furtherwood Road side of the ground but I don't see it as essential so have no problem if the club wishes to refurbish what it already has. Developing corners for offices and changing rooms is all well and good but does limit possibilities for future ground expansion.

I prefer football grounds where you can see a mix of heritage and development. I don't think changing the structure of the Main Stand or a rush to increase capacity is a priority. It would be nice for it to progress in time though.

I quite like the Killalea drone pictures showing the stand from the broadway stand and the whole ground. I did wonder if the ground would look unbalanced but I like how the old and new is looking up to now.

There isn't any rush as long as it's practical to do so which means it's probably down to maintenance issues. Do the club actually call it the main stand anymore?

As long as the main stand is still cost-effective and functional (i.e. as long as the costs to bring it up to safety standards remain low enough) then i doubt we will see any change to it. Once those costs begin to increase due to structural degradation and the like we will probably see some progress to either full refurbishment or a similar situation to the Lookers.

And my latics wishlist is...

As others have said already let's get lookers up and running (adding to the finances, once it's paid off) first before we start with redeveloping the main stand or ironing out the kink in the roof on the chaddy.

Disregarding realistic costs and time scales what is the general consensus with the main stand? Demolition with a modern stand? Demolition with a tribute stand (ie same style but complete new build) or a full refurb?

Personally i would go for the full refurb. I love the fact we have a stand that bends in the middle. I love the fact our turnstiles are antique. There are elements of the stand which seriously need looking at (toilets, bar etc) but i personally feel that to simply demolish it would be a sin against the football gods. In an ideal world the current vp lounge/ would become an open matchday bar with access to the stands, seats be updated to modern ones, etc etc.

I do realise this will never happen due to costs, but in a money no object world, which of the the options above would you choose???

Edited by philliggi

My wish is for a full rebuild but with a nod to the past with an old mill / terrace brickwork facade as other posters have alluded too.

BUT WITH BAD ACOUSTICS AS STANDARD .... don't want the players to be put off by the moaners :grin:

:peepwall: