Wingers - should we bother with them?

We went through a :censored:load of them last season with only Harkins, who isn't & doesn't want to be a winger, really doing anything of note. And what he did well wasn't traditional wingplay, moreso him cutting inside.

They seem unreliable at this level and, even when they do produce crosses, League One strikers don't seem to be of the quality to convert enough of them.

Could we have more quality in the side by going 4-3-3 with another Jones/Smith/Wes type in the middle or a more solid 4-4-2 with wide midfielders rather than wingers?

We'd be even more solid defending and, I imagine, Kareful Korey will be more than happy to cover for Mills if he wants to bomb forward now and again.

Even if we sign no more midfielders Jones, Smith and Mellor/Winchester would all be able to pick passes with plenty of movement ahead of them from Philliskirk & Dayton either side of Clark Harris/Turner/New Striker.

I say this as someone who loves a winger - Tommy Wright was my first ever "favourite" player and then Rick Holden was.....

I was looking at our current squad and started thinking would 3-5-2 with wing backs be possible? Brown, Mills, Dayton maybe Winchester could play the wing back/ advanced full back role, with three of kusunga, Wilson, Lockwood, wilson playing centre back with Mellor as cover. Smith, Jones ANother centre mid with two strikers up top. Angled crosses and balls into the box from deeper lying wide options, centrally solid allowing midfielders to support more freely (starting to get a bit 'Football Manager' this)

I like the formation personally but it needs to be coached properly everyone needs to understand their roles. With most of our players now on two year contracts, this could be something LJ might look into working on knowing he has time to work with a squad that won't change too much

I was looking at our current squad and started thinking would 3-5-2 with wing backs be possible? Brown, Mills, Dayton maybe Winchester could play the wing back/ advanced full back role, with three of kusunga, Wilson, Lockwood, wilson playing centre back with Mellor as cover. Smith, Jones ANother centre mid with two strikers up top. Angled crosses and balls into the box from deeper lying wide options, centrally solid allowing midfielders to support more freely (starting to get a bit 'Football Manager' this)

I like the formation personally but it needs to be coached properly everyone needs to understand their roles. With most of our players now on two year contracts, this could be something LJ might look into working on knowing he has time to work with a squad that won't change too much

Best season of football I have seen the blue boys produce was using 3-5-2 under Dowie. Bear in mind that team had David Beharall, Dean Holden, Will Haining, Darren Sheridan and John Eyre (dare I say it) played a large cunk of the season in the team that very nearly went up. The quality of the 'squad' players wasnt fantastic but if youve 3/4 good players going forwards and a poacher, then goals will come, whilst being defensively sound.

We went through a :censored:load of them last season with only Harkins, who isn't & doesn't want to be a winger, really doing anything of note. And what he did well wasn't traditional wingplay, moreso him cutting inside.

They seem unreliable at this level and, even when they do produce crosses, League One strikers don't seem to be of the quality to convert enough of them.

Could we have more quality in the side by going 4-3-3 with another Jones/Smith/Wes type in the middle or a more solid 4-4-2 with wide midfielders rather than wingers?

We'd be even more solid defending and, I imagine, Kareful Korey will be more than happy to cover for Mills if he wants to bomb forward now and again.

Even if we sign no more midfielders Jones, Smith and Mellor/Winchester would all be able to pick passes with plenty of movement ahead of them from Philliskirk & Dayton either side of Clark Harris/Turner/New Striker.

I say this as someone who loves a winger - Tommy Wright was my first ever "favourite" player and then Rick Holden was.....

If they are like Eyres then great , IF they are like Worrall - forget it and play without !!

If we don't have a good number of decent wingers then we shouldn't try and play a system that relies on them. It's great when they're good and involved in the game but as Harry points out, it doesn't seem to have been working out in our recent history.

If we are able to remain solid then the likes of Mills as a wing back should provide a wide option.

Watching Rotherham beat Preston in the play offs demonstrated how important it is to have wingers who could deliver a quality ball.

Interesting thing about that Rotherham side is that their wingers aren't chalk-booted types. More in the model (perhaps not the physique!) of Harkins. Pringle's delivery for the second was from him dropping inside and being overlapped by a winger. Tavernier's for the third was another example of the fullback attacking down the line.

Now I'm not saying we have that sort of calibre player - both are better than League 1 standard - but we have players who will play in that way. Last season we'd never have full backs that would provide a genuine threat, Grounds and Brown are better defensively, but Mills and Wilson are both more forward thinking and able deliverers of the ball.

If we could sign Harkins he'd complement that style very well, and Dayton got a few goals from cutting inside as well. This is the tactical trend going through the game at the moment and perhaps LJ will try to follow it after another unsuccessful season for wingers.

I always think you should pick wingers as a pairing

So in the same way you have a big one little one upfront having a winger like Harkins who drifts on one side you could have a winger who is quick and can offer direct running like petrasso on the other gives teams something to think about especially if they can swap flanks from time to time.

I always think you should pick wingers as a pairing

So in the same way you have a big one little one upfront having a winger like Harkins who drifts on one side you could have a winger who is quick and can offer direct running like petrasso on the other gives teams something to think about especially if they can swap flanks from time to time.

It used to be like that, a fast winger on one side (Neil Adams) and a tricky one on the other (Rick Holden), not sure who played on the other flank to Alan Groves though as he was fast and tricky?

It used to be like that, a fast winger on one side (Neil Adams) and a tricky one on the other (Rick Holden), not sure who played on the other flank to Alan Groves though as he was fast and tricky?

It's true about Holden and Adams although Harkins plays about 15 yards further inside than Holden which will mean he won't get as many crosses in but would be more likely to score himself.

It's true about Holden and Adams although Harkins plays about 15 yards further inside than Holden which will mean he won't get as many crosses in but would be more likely to score himself.

Yes, I seem to remember he fired over some lovely crosses whereas Groves was more direct.

Who played on the opposite flank to Tommy Wright?

Edited by BP1960