Simon Corney to speak in Chron today

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

600 season tickets down on last year. Very depressing that.

At some stage Corney has to sit back and just think what might bring back fans to bp im sorry but £22 to watch mediocre boring at times football isnt gonna tempt fans back, another squad upheavel and most of players with any ability sold on or moved on isnt a tempter either, the new stand will be empty and im starting to think that the bloke is a serial failure, we have had zero sucess with him at the helm and unfortunately its only gonna get worse, oh well all the optimism crushed again on the eve of the fixtures coming out.

Agreed. Not sure he's shown enough for someone to offer that. Plus it's now public knowledge we're looking to sell before losing him for nothing. 250k seems more realistic.

If he has now been 'put in the shop window' for sale why does that now reduce his value, surely that value will depend primarily on the number of bidders!

Dropping admission prices would be fantastic if we could bring enough fans to cover the potential loss from it.

Even at the prices we charge now and the attendances we get it's not enough to fund the team in League 1 without having to sell players and the odd cup run to break even.

Dropping prices £5 going to do anything to the attendances? Dropping prices by 50% going to bring double the attendances? Not a chance. We had a season categorizing games, think we charged £15 for some games and it didn't bring about a higher attendance.

We need more fans to support the club, the buck stops with us unfortunately. Constantly moaning at Corney when he's only doing what he can with the money he gets from ourselves.

The fans need to come out and support the club more but unfortunately for the level we are at they are not.

Edited by Macca

I don't think it would. It didn't last time. It needs to attract a percentage extra in attendance for it to make as much income.

We either need a fantastic season to bring the crowds back or the fans to forget about the league position and the opposition and come back and support the club regardless.

There's around 2000 fans out there that are no longer going, whatever the reasons it's not helping the club and if they came back it would help the club a lot!

If he has now been 'put in the shop window' for sale why does that now reduce his value, surely that value will depend primarily on the number of bidders!

It might not affect it in the slightest. Or it might make a potential buyer think they'll try a lower offer than before as we're openly keen to get something for him rather than nothing.

At some stage Corney has to sit back and just think what might bring back fans to bp im sorry but £22 to watch mediocre boring at times football isnt gonna tempt fans back, another squad upheavel and most of players with any ability sold on or moved on isnt a tempter either, the new stand will be empty and im starting to think that the bloke is a serial failure, we have had zero sucess with him at the helm and unfortunately its only gonna get worse, oh well all the optimism crushed again on the eve of the fixtures coming out.

If I were Corney, I'd be as depressed as he is. The beancounters probably tell him he can't drop prices, so he gets criticised when they stay the same or go up.

The manager would love to have a team and tactics to produce 4-3 or 3-4 results but if we go down we are truly :censored:ed, and every time Corney says words to that effect, Johnson (or whoever) leans towards fairly conservative football.

We haven't got the money for quality players on long contracts, so squad upheavals have become an unnegotiable fact of life. Like Harry Bosch says, we've attracted decent players because they've seen us as an opportunity to rise to a higher level with other clubs. That's the only way to sell Oldham Athletic to them. One way to get punters through the door is having recognisable players, meaning a stable squad, even from the start of the season till the end (never mind for a couple or three seasons). This isn't possible unless the punters come through the door.

Corney's life is a series of bear traps, trip wires, quick sand, overhanging cliffs, crevasses and every manner of bother.

At some stage Corney has to sit back and just think what might bring back fans to bp....... but £22 to watch mediocre boring at times football isnt gonna tempt fans back...

Dictionary Definitions;

Supporter: an adherent, follower, backer, or advocate.

Fanatic: a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal.

Neither say, don't bother coming anymore if you consider the football to be mediocre and boring. Ergo I surmise that those people you are referring to Yarddog are neither fans nor supporters.... they are merely entertainment mercenaries.

Whilst I understand and appreciate that £22 could be a significant proportion of an individual's weekly allowance, thus preventing them from attending.....

....for those who could afford it, but choose not to because they deem the football not to their requisite standard, I appeal to them.... if you consider yourself a true Oldham Athletic supporter or fan.... buy a season ticket.... or turn up to as many games - home or away - as you can.

I've been going since 1986. I was lucky enough to have seen the good times..... but by god I've seen some dross since. However, I am a Latics fan.... I cannot choose otherwise.... they are my team.... whether mediocre, boring or any other derogatory adjective you wish to append to them. I wish for them to be good again... and by good I mean near the top of the 3rd tier.... not the bottom of the 1st.... the only way they'll ever achieve that is if I continue to support them... for if I don't... they will have even less chance.

KTF.

We're not even talking about £22 a game here - that's a whole argument for throughout the season. We're talking about season tickets, which equate to £14 a game. I know not everyone can afford one, but £14 is not a lot to watch professional football.

We're not even talking about £22 a game here - that's a whole argument for throughout the season. We're talking about season tickets, which equate to £14 a game. I know not everyone can afford one, but £14 is not a lot to watch professional football.

Hear hear ....we've taken 6,000 [or thereabouts] to Anfield twice and approaching 3,000 to Forest in the last 3 seasons.... a significant proportion of which turned up for only those games.

If that's you.... get down to BP and buy a season ticket.... that might just help you have more fancy days out over the coming 3 seasons and beyond....!

1.2.3.4.Listen.to.the.Chaddy.Roar!

Hear hear ....we've taken 6,000 [or thereabouts] to Anfield twice and approaching 3,000 to Forest in the last 3 seasons.... a significant proportion of which turned up for only those games.

If that's you.... get down to BP and buy a season ticket.... that might just help you have more fancy days out over the coming 3 seasons and beyond....!

You're failing to account for the brutal hard to face fact that the value for money those 6,000 people got is far greater than that for those paying £14 a game at Boundary Park.

It's harsh, but it's fair!

That should have been the sales drive from the club, instead we got the usual advert, buy before the early deadline - like it or lump it.

They didn't even bother to extend the deadline to entice those indecisive.

You're failing to account for the brutal hard to face fact that the value for money those 6,000 people got is far greater than that for those paying £14 a game at Boundary Park.

It's harsh, but it's fair!

No I'm not... I agree ...hence my earlier point.... neither fans, nor supporters, merely entertainment mercenaries..... harsh, but fair!

That should have been the sales drive from the club, instead we got the usual advert, buy before the early deadline - like it or lump it.

They didn't even bother to extend the deadline to entice those indecisive.

I think it would make a difference, just depends how much effort they really want to put into it. All that happens is a few messages on the website. It really needs to marketed better. The club need to make a better effort.

Losing ST holders is a big blow but there are lots of people still out of work and I know how depressing that can be.....£300+ is a lot to find when you ain't got it.

I work shifts and so can only go to about 70% of the games and so a season ticket is not really an option but if the team are playing decent stuff and not struggling I will certainly go to most games however I've also lost count the number of times I've done swaps and taken half days just to be able to go to games and then sat there only to be bored senseless with yet another boringly inevitable and scoreless home defeat.

I am now at an age where football is not the be all and end all that it once was but still spend lots of time on here checking our new signings.etc and it wouldn't take too much to get me well and truly hooked once again and feel there are lots of fans out there in the same boat like me.

Not a true fan you might say, and maybe you are right but I don't live a stone's throw from the ground and a home game comes at a considerable expense. I've been a fan since my Dad took me in 1960 but the game has changed so very much in that time and I want a bit of value for my 30 odd quid outlay.

If we start well, especially at home, then I'm sure the lapsed fans and ex STH's will slowly return but in my case until we provide a little more entertainment and start scoring a few more goals blind faith will no longer be what gets me through the turnstyle.

I think the drop in season ticket sales could be down to something as simple as our home form ( which is all the majority of our fans see ) being absolutely dire for a number of seasons. Until we start putting a run of wins on the board then I can't see it improving that drastically.

I've always kind of thought that the key to who comes through the gate tended to depend on how you played on the pitch and the results you got, ie:

(1) Best new stand in the division, but with the results and home form of last season = does not do a lot to bring in the people : you don't go to BP solely because of a nice new comfy stand.

(2) Bring in quality players, score lots of goals, play really attractive football, and challenge at the top end of the table = tends to bring the lapsed ( and other ) supporters back, who will happily sit in the worse stand in the football league for the above, which increases your revenue stream.

Conclusion, get the core product right before spending loads of money on fancy packaging.

Just my view.