Mail running a story on scholes

Is it not possible that he might have followed both us and Utd? As much as many of our fans despise Utd and as much as we all know at least one obnoxious moron following them who will belittle anything to do with Football outside the top 4 of the Premiership. There are those people out there who support two teams, as strange as that may appear to a lot of die-hards out there and these people exist and pay their money.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it not possible that he might have followed both us and Utd? As much as many of our fans despise Utd and as much as we all know at least one obnoxious moron following them who will belittle anything to do with Football outside the top 4 of the Premiership. There are those people out there who support two teams, as strange as that may appear to a lot of die-hards out there and these people exist and pay their money.

This about sums it up Pauls dad Stewart is a Salford lad and grew up a red, Paul was brought up in Midd and his friends were Oldham so that how despite being brought up in a red household he became an Oldham fan, of course he is more red than blue now he played over 700 games for the club is one of the most decorated players in the modern game and is treated like a god by United fans to this day, unlike the reception he gets when he attends Oldham games especially with his kids which I find shocking.

Paul is proud to be an Oldham fan his kids school in Chadderton and they have attended the holiday club Laticzone in recent months he is a grounded and humble family guy and has never forgotten his Latics roots. Of course manure are close to his heart but the fact he keeps Oldham there too speaks volumes for the guy, I'm proud to say ive stood on the Chaddy End with him, my only regret is he didnt turn out for us when he was once asked in an interview what club in the world he would like to play for his response ? The only team id turn out for other than Utd is Oldham Athletic the fact his greatest ever player is Andy Ritchie says it all.

... when he was once asked in an interview what club in the world he would like to play for his response ? The only team id turn out for other than Utd is Oldham Athletic....

I'd be very interested to see the interview to which you refer.

My recollection is that it was Fergie who said it when being interviewed about Scholes. That was intended to deter rival clubs, but resulted in giving Latics supporters hope.

In Sept 2009 in 'The Republic of Mancunia':

Sir Alex Ferguson reckons after two decades at the top there is no way Scholes will be going down to League One to play.

“I don’t think this is Paul’s last season,” said Ferguson. “What else has he got? He’s a football man. He isn’t going to drop down through the leagues, I’m sure of that. “Once you’ve played for United for as long as he has – almost 20 years, Christ – what else are you going to do? I’ve read stuff about him going to play for Oldham in his last year. No chance.”

Of course Fergie had read that stuff, because it was him who started the hare running!

I've sat near Scholes a few times at latics. In fact the season we we're evicted from the Lookers, he was sat lookers side of the RRE about 3 or 4 times with his lad. Never saw anyone bother him or give him any grief.

Never got why fans hate utd but love that :censored:e citeh.?

I followed utd way before I started having any interest in Latics

Edited by Markoasis

This about sums it up Pauls dad Stewart is a Salford lad and grew up a red, Paul was brought up in Midd and his friends were Oldham so that how despite being brought up in a red household he became an Oldham fan, of course he is more red than blue now he played over 700 games for the club is one of the most decorated players in the modern game and is treated like a god by United fans to this day, unlike the reception he gets when he attends Oldham games especially with his kids which I find shocking.

Paul is proud to be an Oldham fan his kids school in Chadderton and they have attended the holiday club Laticzone in recent months he is a grounded and humble family guy and has never forgotten his Latics roots. Of course manure are close to his heart but the fact he keeps Oldham there too speaks volumes for the guy, I'm proud to say ive stood on the Chaddy End with him, my only regret is he didnt turn out for us when he was once asked in an interview what club in the world he would like to play for his response ? The only team id turn out for other than Utd is Oldham Athletic the fact his greatest ever player is Andy Ritchie says it all.

What "reception" do you refer to in that post?

I mean, as a group of Latics supporters; we hardly adorn him with chant after chant; but - why would we? He hasnt played for us, and is essentially just a fan.

Now, United fans would have reason to sing songs about one of their modern playing legends if he were to be seen at one of their games wouldnt they?

And, if you're implying he's had some abuse when he's attended games; i've never seen or heard any - and he's sat near me on a few occasions...

Never got why fans hate utd but love that :censored:e citeh.?

I followed utd way before I started having any interest in Latics

I think 2 significant FA cup semi finals may be the main reason.

City on the other hand have pre 2008 been pretty similar to Latics in shooting themselves in the foot and general underachievement, we have had the upper hand on city on a couple of occasions aswell.

Why hate any team?.. they all have genuine fans just like us.

ok i will re phrase it i hate the band waggon jumping shirt wearing never been to oldtrafford /etihad and couldnt find it from piccadilly gardens with a satnav we are amassive club etc so called fans who only regurgitiate the latest warbling of the match of the day /sky/bt sport commentators /pundits to try and sound knowledgable so called fans of manure & citeh the genuine been going for yeqrs season ticket holders with a bit of knowledge who knows that football doesent revolve around two provincial teams from manchester do have my respect but finding them few and far between nowadays .

If he buys a shirt or two, attends games with his kids, spares five minutes to boost our profile in the media then he's doing his part.

Realistically, dropping down to League One and the target for every clogger in the middle of the park plus opposing fans?? If I was him, I definitely wouldn't do it when retired let alone when he was match fit. Retiring gracefully as a pundit.

More likely if he played for us, like the rest of his career, the opposition would be the target for the exceptionally talented dirty b**tard in the Oldham midfield.

More likely if he played for us, like the rest of his career, the opposition would be the target for the exceptionally talented dirty b**tard in the Oldham midfield.

From his FourFourTwo interview in 2011:

Years ago you admitted your tackling was “shocking”. Did you ever work on it or was it something you just never mastered the technique of? Roy Keane once said you never mistimed a tackle; they were all deliberate fouls. Is he right?

I don’t think my tackling was that bad. Sometimes if someone had got me, I would have it in the back of my mind who it was, and I would try to bide my time to get them back, so I suppose Roy does have a point.

• 1 month later...

His kids do not go to school in Chadderton, not sure why you think they do, but I know for a fact that his eldest lad doesn't.

That's a fair shout (prep only I think?) - but it's a bit different to say that his kids go to a private school, rather than saying they go to school in Chadderton. Not that there's anything wrong with Private schools mind.

That's a fair shout (prep only I think?) - but it's a bit different to say that his kids go to a private school, rather than saying they go to school in Chadderton. Not that there's anything wrong with Private schools mind.

Private school for kids aged 3-11 his kids where at Latics holiday club over Easter as well.

At least one of his kids goes to a private school.

Guest Stanley30