attendancies

I do take your point and the rainbow flag doesn't offend me either but I'd feel a lot less comfortable having to explain to my four year old son why there's a picture of two men kissing up at the back of the Chaddy..

You might as well just come out (ooh) and say "I'm just a homophobic :censored: and I don't like these sorts" than use a slightly spurious situation that may or may not have happened.

Like others have said, this really isn't something you should feel uncomfortable about.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Approx 400 home fans down on the last home game yesterday

Our home support is impossible gauge. Decent win and performance last week and it's seemed to put people off! Other than the novelty of playing Fleetwood for the first time, I can't see why that match would be particularly more attractive.

Given we haven't sold as many season-tickets as last season, they're probably going to drop further as winter sets in..

I often hear people say they go to watch Latics when there's no Premier League on. However after last week's positive display I'd have thought we'd have a few more through the turnstiles yesterday.

The club needs to capitalize on the opportunity.. cheap gates and good advertising campaigns could see the gates increase on these international breaks

I tend to think that football fans typically are fanatic about their own club and can't stir up any interest in watching another match if their own team aren't playing. Watching games as a neutral can be really uninteresting (I'm talking about live games rather than dipping in and out of TV games) and so even on international weekends I am not sure that local premiership fans will turn up at BP unless pulled in by Latics supporting mates. Will a low priced ticket attract them? I am not so sure but must be worth a try.

The club needs to capitalize on the opportunity.. cheap gates and good advertising campaigns could see the gates increase on these international breaks

It's a business, not many businesses make more money by reducing their prices.

Getting the dynamic duo to pull their tripe out on the other hand...

Getting the dynamic duo to pull their tripe out on the other hand...

That's why none of the major supermarket chains are developing and advertising electronic ways to show that their prices are lower than their competitors, and price comparison websites are remembered as an hilarious anomaly of the early 21st century.

Yes, however it's a very peculiar business and although clubs at this level still need the sales of tickets on matchday, teams at the highest level do not which makes for a precarious situation in the domestic game. In 2005 MUFC's matchday income was 42% of the total revenue - in 2012/13 season it was only 15% although day ticket prices have gone up over 50% in that time - the importance of the fan has declined at the top. Season ticket prices have not really moved in several years - and there is also some argument that Premier League prices should actually fall luring more fans to watch live Premiership games. MCFC similarly are a behemoth that can successfully sell walk up tickets at cut prices to fuel the merch. Who bears the brunt? All the clubs that can't afford to lower prices, that don't have the financial merchandising machine behind them to put up the numbers. One thing is interesting about the MUFC model is if they don't get into the Champions League for next season, what will their pricing structure be?

http://andersred.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/manchester-united-potential-financial.html

It has stopped becoming a spectator sport first and foremost, and has become a multi-national business when paying dividends to shareholders became more important than winning the FA cup.

Supermarkets are a curious analogy where they can 'aggressively' promote loss-leaders in the market to stimulate sales on high margin items for a net gain. Not quite the same model in the lower end of the football league.

Yes, however it's a very peculiar business and although clubs at this level still need the sales of tickets on matchday, teams at the highest level do not which makes for a precarious situation in the domestic game. In 2005 MUFC's matchday income was 42% of the total revenue - in 2012/13 season it was only 15% although day ticket prices have gone up over 50% in that time - the importance of the fan has declined at the top. Season ticket prices have not really moved in several years - and there is also some argument that Premier League prices should actually fall luring more fans to watch live Premiership games. MCFC similarly are a behemoth that can successfully sell walk up tickets at cut prices to fuel the merch. Who bears the brunt? All the clubs that can't afford to lower prices, that don't have the financial merchandising machine behind them to put up the numbers. One thing is interesting about the MUFC model is if they don't get into the Champions League for next season, what will their pricing structure be?

http://andersred.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/manchester-united-potential-financial.html

It has stopped becoming a spectator sport first and foremost, and has become a multi-national business when paying dividends to shareholders became more important than winning the FA cup.

Supermarkets are a curious analogy where they can 'aggressively' promote loss-leaders in the market to stimulate sales on high margin items for a net gain. Not quite the same model in the lower end of the football league.

How much of United's revenue is made up of kit sales?

How much of ours is made up of kit sales the last 6 weeks, when kit sales should be at their highest?

That's why none of the major supermarket chains are developing and advertising electronic ways to show that their prices are lower than their competitors, and price comparison websites are remembered as an hilarious anomaly of the early 21st century.

How many supermarkets have you shopped at in your life-time, how many football clubs have you supported? We get 3,500 home fans on a Saturday at £22/adult. Who's to say that we would get nearly 5200 if we charged £15/adult. Or 7000 if it was £11/adult.

What's our record like when we have cheap games?

What's our record like when we charged £25/adult? What was the quality of the opposition?

Winning football will IMHO do more to get fans back than a cheap ticket option.

How many supermarkets have you shopped at in your life-time, how many football clubs have you supported? We get 3,500 home fans on a Saturday at £22/adult. Who's to say that we would get nearly 5200 if we charged £15/adult. Or 7000 if it was £11/adult.

What's our record like when we charged £25/adult? What was the quality of the opposition?

What's our record like when we let 'em in for free? What...6-0 you say - now there's a thought...(smiley winky face)

Yep, winning football is the only thing that will make a proper difference. I don't buy the theory that free flowing attacking football at home would make a big difference to crowds either. Drawing 3-3 all the time but hovering around 13/14th will not bring as many in as top 6 and keeping clean sheets.

Sony, Philips and Panasonic are engaged in constant price cutting along with the retailers. Pound shops are being undercut. Budget airlines have forced major ones to compete. Not saying it's an exact comparison to football, just pointing out that your point was wrong.

Sony, Philips and Panasonic are engaged in constant price cutting along with the retailers. Pound shops are being undercut. Budget airlines have forced major ones to compete. Not saying it's an exact comparison to football, just pointing out that your point was wrong.

My analogy was wrong I grant you, and one you have successfully argued against with evidence.

The idea that we will make money if we offer cheap ticket prices for when we play when the Premiergreed don't, is not necessarily correct either, which was the point I was making.

If we offered cheap tickets, in bulk, akin to the golden ticket thing we did a few years ago, for the games we play when the Premiergreed don't, the evidence is a bit more substantial. As like with Season tickets, not everyone will attend games they have essentially paid for. But that runs the risk of alienating the key ST holders, who provide essential custom.

However, for that to be most successful our game against Fleetwood should have counted.

Hopefully it won't be an issue next season :grin:

You never want to devalue the ST holders - so cutting prices isnt the way.

Weekends where the PL dont play is best opportunity to get those who normally sit and watch the idiot box to get off the comfy chair and out to BP.

Realistically, until the North Stand is finished you shouldnt spend anything more than usual on marketing and promotion as you would like to bring "new" fans in and see the redevelopment etc.

Anyway, its all about scoring goals, playing for the shirt and never say die and stopping the daft stuff and the crowds will get in.