Chesterfield (away)

Possible but I'll reiterate, look at Dale. They have just been promoted and are doing well in this division and their crowds aren't even breaking 3k at times. I don't think the rise of Citeh can be under estimated, historically they would pull in around the mid to high 20's and sell out for the big games, then moved up to the mid 30's breaking 40k for the big games, now it's a sell out every week and at a comparable cost to what we can offer. To the floating fan, even if they don't go to city that often we look like a relative rip off. I can see a number of those who used to support us and city being swept up by titles and cup wins and forgetting about Oldham treading water in L1 for the trillionth season in a row (whether we have made progress or not of late).

We, like Rochdale, Bury, Stockport and Macc have found ourselves in a uniquely awkward situation. I think we're coping with it better than the rest down to having a decent manager and a chairman who has his priorities straight as far as the club is concerned (despite our disagreements over player sales). I think the only clubs that can be effectively compared to us are those in Greater Manchester, the rest are apples to oranges.

The home crowds debate is one which comes up a lot. But the only people who can answer the question why we don't get crowds like we used to are those who have stopped going for the last 10 years or so. Even then I bet you'll get hundreds of different answers.

I just think that as a club we have potentially a bigger fanbase than what some others on here may believe. Also the recent success at clubs like Chesterfield and Rotherham doesn't nessesarily mean that it can't happen to someone like ourselves one day. I'd rather we were compared to those clubs than the likes of Bury and Rochdale.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We also have the ability/luxury to tap in to the fans of the late 80's early 90's when we were getting 15,000 in the top tier.

Get the facilities better an the over all match day experience (better quality of football on display, results and atmosphere) and you will gradually claw a few thousand back IMO.

This little bit of successful history is something the likes of Chesterfield don't have and should stand us in good stead if we gradually improve the above

Edited by Blue_Guru

The home crowds debate is one which comes up a lot. But the only people who can answer the question why we don't get crowds like we used to are those who have stopped going for the last 10 years or so. Even then I bet you'll get hundreds of different answers.

I just think that as a club we have potentially a bigger fanbase than what some others on here may believe. Also the recent success at clubs like Chesterfield and Rotherham doesn't nessesarily mean that it can't happen to someone like ourselves one day. I'd rather we were compared to those clubs than the likes of Bury and Rochdale.

The comparison is to understand why our crowds have fallen so far and why now they aren't noticeably recovering despite a very good run of late not to compare clubs of similar ambition who exist in a totally different sphere of influence. For that it makes sense to compare oranges with oranges (ie. clubs with the same external issues). I would say death is one of our biggest adversaries when you look around the crowd on match day at BP, we've failed to attract fans to replace the ageing fanbase from the 70's, 80's and 90's and over the last two to three decades the dominance of United and now City has compounded the issue. In no other area of the country has one team, dominated for so long consistently.

This isn't about saying we are like Bury or we are like Rotherham, it's a case of understanding the problems we face and they are inherently different to those of the Yorkshire clubs but essentially the same as those on our doorstep competing in the football league.

Fortunately i've heard Bob Geldof is having a concert to end death.

Edited by LeylandLatic

I agree we do have a hidden group of older fans that still 'support us' but aren't coming at present - prices, missus needs the shopping doing, kids need taking here and there, legacy of stand being knocked down and facilities and atmosphere particularly now all-seating. I think - presuming the team is competitive and has a go in kid-table/play-offs - atmosphere is a big one and as well documented on here we can't/won't help ourselves until, perhaps, we get safe standing or a new Chaddy roof!

But a big issue affecting all clubs is attracting the kids.

You have one group of fans naturally depleting and nothing replacing. I think we are battling well with the young Athleticos #group - the club has also tried with the cheap season tickets and golden ticket schemes.

But kids today just don't get why you'd want to support a lower-league club (whether doing well or not) that doesn't have big-name players. You aren't going to see kids in the playground recreating Dayton v Swindon unfortunately; it'll be recreating costa's turn and shot, fabregas' curking finish, or, sadly, Suarez's bite or dive!

They are also inevitably sucked into the modern era - sky sports, video games, premier league players being brands in themselves! Even those that are still hailed along to the game by daddy will have a PL team as their main team. They go to school and see an array of PL tops and, kids being kids, are competitive about supporting a team that's 'cool' and doing well.

United and Liverpool were a problem, but City's rise to prime nce really has shafted the whole of North Manchester.

From living in Derby and being near Sheffield and other areas, there is much more of a family going to the game culture in the midlands. The Town'a still empty on Sat afternoons and there's a real culture if watching games for real on a Sat afternoon. That's where Chesterfield come in. It might be that some of the areas are more affluent, but definitely because of the lack of PL giants. There are fans of the Champ clubs but if would only be for the reasons as any fan; those clubs aren't on sky all the time and their players aren't big-name stars and computer game heroes.

Maybe so but let's be realistic what have Forest, Sheff United, Sheff Weds done in recent years?

The fact them 3 clubs had a few seasons in decline while Chesterfield after coming out of admin had it a bit of glory helped proberly at sametime catch a few floaters or youngsters who saw the 3 clubs mention fall down to

Maybe so but let's be realistic what have Forest, Sheff United, Sheff Weds done in recent years?[/b[

The fact them 3 clubs had a few seasons in decline while Chesterfield after coming out of admin had it a bit of glory helped proberly at sametime catch a few floaters or youngsters who saw the 3 clubs mention fall down to

Exactly, what have they done? Yet they still average crowds clubs like us and Chesterfield could only dream of Edited by Tommy_Fent

On Chesterfield's forum they're marvelling at the crowd sizes of late. One fan said that had yesterday's League 1 play-off chasing clash been at Saltergate they'd struggle to have found 3500 supporters. They had over 6000 home fans yesterday. Goes to show how a new stadium and new facilities can galvanise the club and motivate stayaways to come back.

Edited by NewBlue

Facilities is a major factor fans want a day out and to enjoy the whole day yesterday was an example of what can be done nice area for fans to mingle, sky sports plenty of refreshments on offer,didnt see a single steward its polar opposite to being at the back of the chaddy or rre, where stewards walk round like the gestapo and everyone is exposed to the elements, there is nothing barring the Clayton Green to keep or encourage fans to spend any sort of time around BP the social aspect of home games has been taken away from many fans Lookers/Clayton and even now the club shop have been taken away, until the clubs begin to put the fans first again it will stay the same, success helps but fans deserve more for their money.

That's a good point. Tailoring to the modern football-goers, such as families with kids, the value for money 'day-out factor' is a big deal.

The whole group won't turn up just for loyalty alone.

It needs to be possible to park up fairly close but with a nice traditional walk to the ground with other fans, a clean and tidy stadium with suitable (and useable) toilet facilities, enough refreshment facilities to ensure that stuff can be bought (bar a reasonable amount of queuing and for acceptable prices, and, a suitable police/steward presence at the sign of trouble or vocal abuse, but not lined and over the top to make it unsettling like something's going to kick off! Friendly customer service/greetings are key here.

Obviously the new stand and car park is going to be key for us in this respect...

On Chesterfield's forum they're marvelling at the crowd sizes of late. One fan said that had yesterday's League 1 play-off chasing clash been at Saltergate they'd struggle to have found 3500 supporters. They had over 6000 home fans yesterday. Goes to show how a new stadium and new facilities can galvanise the club and motivate stayaways to come back.

I went down to Brighton in 2009 when we were playing out the 08-09 season after dog gate.Brighton were playing at the withdean needing a win to stay in league 1 and had 6000 there,

In august I went to Brighton to watch Brighton play Bolton they played at the £92million Amex. You can get there via their own train station they have their own supporters bar named after their chairman where you can get a pint. You can go in the concourse and get food and a pint they even have cushioned seats rather than the cheap bits of plastic and decent leg room. They even had people in the stadium canvassing vans opinions for and app they were launching and they had 25000 people on the day. It was a world away from what they had previously and it has jet propelled that club forward. They now have a new generation of fans.

The idea of some of these things might not be of importance to some people. Some of us will go and watch us play in a toilet but if we want a new generation of fans and a successful Oldham athletic then we are going to have to offer something abit more appealing than what we've got now. If the current team was playing in a better stadium with 4 modern stands the chances are we could get double what we are getting now.

A good side will help but we need more than that we need good facilities too and at a reasonable price if we are going to attract the floating fan.

Edited by GlossopLatic

Let's not forget that Latics have lost a lot of home games in the past five years or so. It is a long time since I actually enjoyed going, and because I play on a Saturday I only make about ten home games a year or so.

That is an awful lot of apathy to overcome in 11 games! No idea on the stats but we must have lost nearly 50% of home games in recent years...

Right.

Didnt go and now just seen the goals on the sky+ football leage goals.....

Is it only me who doesn't think it was a penalty?

I cant see any contact at all from their lad on Philliskirk?

Soft.*

* but i'll take it!!!

Edit: just realised it wast Evatt who "fouled" so edited him out.

Cast iron pen. But it seemed there was only me around us who appealed for it...

Cast iron pen. But it seemed there was only me around us who appealed for it...

Some of us were still in the bar, although I did see the ref give it (and can clearly be seen on the TV footage).

Incidentally it's a pen; their defender clearly takes Danny's legs after he had played the ball round the corner, the ref played a mini advantage in case we immediately did something.