Chesterfield (away)

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spireite in peace.

We're sort of aiming for a 7k average attendance this season, so after the largely miniscule away followings of the last couple of seasons, we're pleased to see some decent support in the North Stand.

Well done on your team's performance on the pitch today and the volume off it.

Spireite in peace.

We're sort of aiming for a 7k average attendance this season, so after the largely miniscule away followings of the last couple of seasons, we're pleased to see some decent support in the North Stand.

Well done on your team's performance on the pitch today and the volume off it.

It's nice for people to recognise other fans (and teams) in a positive way, thank you. Good luck for the rest of the season. It sounded like a cracker of a game

Edited by Stagger Lee

shame we can't be aiming for 7k at home, we always travel well away as a % of home following, but nowadays we're lucky to see 4500 home fans in attendance

Agreed, it does go to show if a club like Chesterfield can do it then why can't we?

And before anyone mentions catchment area Chesterfield have both the Sheffield clubs, Derby and Forest all within half an hours drive and it's a smaller town than Oldham.

Agreed, it does go to show if a club like Chesterfield can do it then why can't we?

And before anyone mentions catchment area Chesterfield have both the Sheffield clubs, Derby and Forest all within half an hours drive and it's a smaller town than Oldham.

If we'd have been relegated, then promoted as champions and continued the good form into the new season, we'd be getting 7,000.

Exactly. No chance. Once you lose another block of the 'core', it's very, very hard to get them back. The new stadium probably helped Chesterfield. A new stand, whilst a big help, won't have quite the same effect. There's no way ppl would flock out of the woodwork and pay £20 just to see us doing well in L2! If we pushed the play-offs this season, I reckon we'd get 5000-5500 max near the end of the season and maybe another 1000 for the play-off home leg. Total guesswork mind.

Right.

Didnt go and now just seen the goals on the sky+ football leage goals.....

Is it only me who doesn't think it was a penalty?

I cant see any contact at all from their lad on Philliskirk?

Soft.*

* but i'll take it!!!

Edit: just realised it wast Evatt who "fouled" so edited him out.

Edited by slystallone

Interestingly, the Chesterfield fans side on to the incident on their forum thought it was a definite foul.

Its not the best angle on the tv, but does look soft. I'd prefer to think its good feet and intelligent from Philliskirk and naive from the defender to commit to a challenge he had no need to make - Evatt was furious with the young lad!!

They had drawn attention to that sort of challenge by leaving their feet in late right across the pitch!!

Right.

Didnt go and now just seen the goals on the sky+ football leage goals.....

Is it only me who doesn't think it was a penalty?

I cant see any contact at all from Evatt on Philliskirk?

Soft.*

* but i'll take it!!!

In moments like that yesterday you've just got to remember the dubious penalties that have been given against us over the years

I was to right of the goal and in direct sight and thought Evatt made contact. I've seen softer given but also seen similar waved away. Pen for me though.

Regarding attendances, their stadium and surrounding area must have an impact. Decent stadium, location and with the retail areas I can see why it's a draw to fans because the experience is a lot better. Ticketing fair even if the food and drink within the stadium was a tad pricey at our level - £3 for a sausage roll, £3.50 for a pie and £1.50 for 400ml bottle of pop!

Nice little club, great facilities and I hope they do well. As someone said, on doorstep of both Sheffield clubs and in easy reach of Derby and Forest. Similar to us and with the revamp of our stand and facilities, we could/should aim for c7k per home game

I was to right of the goal and in direct sight and thought Evatt made contact. I've seen softer given but also seen similar waved away. Pen for me though.

Regarding attendances, their stadium and surrounding area must have an impact. Decent stadium, location and with the retail areas I can see why it's a draw to fans because the experience is a lot better. Ticketing fair even if the food and drink within the stadium was a tad pricey at our level - £3 for a sausage roll, £3.50 for a pie and £1.50 for 400ml bottle of pop!

Nice little club, great facilities and I hope they do well. As someone said, on doorstep of both Sheffield clubs and in easy reach of Derby and Forest. Similar to us and with the revamp of our stand and facilities, we could/should aim for c7k per home game

It's £2 for a 500ml bottle of Pop at Latics, £3.50 for a pie sounds expensive but at least they had some at HT, and according to my Dad it was quite good.

Whilst they are within easy reach of Chesterfield, all those clubs are Championship level clubs, and not arguably the 2 biggest clubs in the country (one of which is a bit closer to Oldham than those are to Chesterfield). We've got more than 4 other Prem/Championship clubs in that range too. Plus, Chesterfield haven't really got much to the West of them for quite a while, but I can see them having problems recruiting against United in those areas.

Don't get me wrong I think for them to get 6,000+ home fans is a good achievement, it isn't as currently problematic as it would be for us.

Edited by rudemedic

It's £2 for a 500ml bottle of Pop at Latics, £3.50 for a pie sounds expensive but at least they had some at HT, and according to my Dad it was quite good.

Whilst they are within easy reach of Chesterfield, all those clubs are Championship level clubs, and not arguably the 2 biggest clubs in the country (one of which is a bit closer to Oldham than those are to Chesterfield). We've got more than 4 other Prem/Championship clubs in that range too. Plus, Chesterfield haven't really got much to the West of them for quite a while, but I can see them having problems recruiting against United in those areas.

Don't get me wrong I think for them to get 6,000+ home fans is a good achievement, it isn't as currently problematic as it would be for us.

This. We have City and Utd on our doorstep - the only other small clubs who have such a problem would be those from London (Leyton, Dagenham, Barnet).

Yes Man Utd, City and Liverpool get a lot of support from the North West.

But don't underestimate the fanbases of those clubs down the M1 corridor. Sheff Wednesday, Forest and Derby in particular are well supported for what they are and get a lot of support from outside the cities they play in. When I got off the train at Chesterfield station yesterday there were a number of Wednesday fans off to Hillsborough.

Yes it's hard for Latics being where we are, but lets not feel sorry for ourselves everytime a club passes us by because it isnt plane sailing for other clubs at our level. Chesterfield have done really well considering where they were a few years ago struggling to get 3,000 fans in their partially condemned ground. For us to get the sort of crowds we were getting 6-7 years ago won't be an easy task but it isn't impossible.

Yes Man Utd, City and Liverpool get a lot of support from the North West.

But don't underestimate the fanbases of those clubs down the M1 corridor. Sheff Wednesday, Forest and Derby in particular are well supported for what they are and get a lot of support from outside the cities they play in. When I got off the train at Chesterfield station yesterday there were a number of Wednesday fans off to Hillsborough.

Yes it's hard for Latics being where we are, but lets not feel sorry for ourselves everytime a club passes us by because it isnt plane sailing for other clubs at our level. Chesterfield have done really well considering where they were a few years ago struggling to get 3,000 fans in their partially condemned ground. For us to get the sort of crowds we were getting 6-7 years ago won't be an easy task but it isn't impossible.

Possible but I'll reiterate, look at Dale. They have just been promoted and are doing well in this division and their crowds aren't even breaking 3k at times. I don't think the rise of Citeh can be under estimated, historically they would pull in around the mid to high 20's and sell out for the big games, then moved up to the mid 30's breaking 40k for the big games, now it's a sell out every week and at a comparable cost to what we can offer. To the floating fan, even if they don't go to city that often we look like a relative rip off. I can see a number of those who used to support us and city being swept up by titles and cup wins and forgetting about Oldham treading water in L1 for the trillionth season in a row (whether we have made progress or not of late).

We, like Rochdale, Bury, Stockport and Macc have found ourselves in a uniquely awkward situation. I think we're coping with it better than the rest down to having a decent manager and a chairman who has his priorities straight as far as the club is concerned (despite our disagreements over player sales). I think the only clubs that can be effectively compared to us are those in Greater Manchester, the rest are apples to oranges.