Positive give over..... bandwagon jumping on a sad situation at best.

I'm not saying it's not cheap but to the wider public, yes, it'll be received positively - the company that was principled enough to take a stance. Verlin can't buy national publicity like that.

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it has also been said many times that Evans isn't showing remorse because that would be admitting he had done wrong. Which he denies, therefore why would he apologise?

Does that ring any bells for you?

I don't give a :censored: for Ched's apologies. Fact is he's been running an unnecessary and ruinous campaign against the victim. There's no reason for it but malice. It won't help to clear him if he further ruins her reputation.

I'm willing to continue contributing - but Playershare shouldn't transfer any cash until Evans leaves. That way, we keep Playershare mothballed but ticking over for the duration. Any existing agreements to contribute to the club are null and void for the duration of Evans's registration. That's my idea.

I'm unwilling to contribute if we sign Evans and carry on giving the club money.

And before anyone asks, I don't care how much it is. I don't care if it's only a brass farthing. It's the principle that counts.

A fair compromise and thoughtful too

I don't give a :censored: for Ched's apologies. Fact is he's been running an unnecessary and ruinous campaign against the victim. There's no reason for it but malice. It won't help to clear him if he further ruins her reputation.

Bingo. Yet he's the one that's been "hounded" according to one poster. Incredible.

And it has also been said many times that Evans isn't showing remorse because that would be admitting he had done wrong. Which he denies, therefore why would he apologise?

Does that ring any bells for you?

If he wants to be a footballer again he can never admit to the crime, regardless if he did it or not.

Its how its done surely and after todays farce club to blame but plenty will agree with you and plenty with me its an opinion that choosing to appear on Sky is not very supportive telling Simon hes out directly another matter and his choice. Personally didnt like it at all.

Of course it's not supportive. We're trying to sign an unrepentant rapist. I'd hope anyone against it is doing their bit. If I thought going to the press with my views would help I'd do it but I don't so I haven't.

Bandwagon jumping?

There's 25% of us on another thread who won't be back. If my name was on top of that stand I'd want it down too.

Jess Ennis said that at Sheffield United, and some of Ched's supporters threatened to rape her. Bizarrely he never condemned that. Lovely bloke.

OK, this is where I'm still at. I've read and re-read the arguments for and against signing Ched Evans. I haven't read through the Court proceedings or Ched Evans' website. I am simply making my decision on two things.

1) Ched Evans is a convicted rapist and will remain so until such time as it is proven otherwise

2) The incredible and almost unbelievable balls-up by those that run the club

So, here's the thing.

1) If Evans signs, I will never again contribute one penny to the club. That means that my Direct Debit and pledges to Playershare will cease. I will not attend another game and will cancel my subscription to Latics Player. I would consider reinstating all of the above once he leaves the club but it would still leave a nasty taste in my mouth, so that is a decision for another day.

2) If he doesn't sign, I will continue supporting OAFC with all of the above, but will lose all faith in those at the helm except LJ who I reckon has been dumped on from a great height. In consequence, I would join any fight that I am able to from this distance away to dislodge those who have brought our club into disrepute and made us a laughing stock.

There is a third scenario. If Evans doesn't sign, is later cleared by the Court without any shadow of doubt and a miscarriage of justice is irrefutably proven, I would continue to support the club, but still wouldn't want him anywhere near Boundary Park purely because of the stigma.

When a decision and announcement is made that makes the delay reasonable, I'll hold fire until then. After that, one of the above will happen. As I said earlier in the thread, I'll continue with the Prediction League until the end of the season no matter what. Hopefully, I will carry on long after that.

And for those that view this as a dummy spitting, toy chucking strop, please remember that I am potentially throwing away all that I have supported for over 64 years. We all have opinions, we all have our own minds to make up. We have to respect what others decide.

OK, this is where I'm still at. I've read and re-read the arguments for and against signing Ched Evans. I haven't read through the Court proceedings or Ched Evans' website. I am simply making my decision on two things.

1) Ched Evans is a convicted rapist and will remain so until such time as it is proven otherwise

So, here's the thing.

1) If Evans signs, I will never again contribute one penny to the club. That means that my Direct Debit and pledges to Playershare will cease. I will not attend another game and will cancel my subscription to Latics Player. I would consider reinstating all of the above once he leaves the club but it would still leave a nasty taste in my mouth, so that is a decision for another day.

2) If he doesn't sign, I will continue supporting OAFC with all of the above, but will lose all faith in those at the helm except LJ who I reckon has been dumped on from a great height. In consequence, I would join any fight that I am able to from this distance away to dislodge those who have brought our club into disrepute and made us a laughing stock.

There is a third scenario. If Evans doesn't sign, is later cleared by the Court without any shadow of doubt and a miscarriage of justice is irrefutably proven, I would continue to support the club, but still wouldn't want him anywhere near Boundary Park purely because of the stigma.

When a decision and announcement is made that makes the delay reasonable, I'll hold fire until then. After that, one of the above will happen. As I said earlier in the thread, I'll continue with the Prediction League until the end of the season no matter what. Hopefully, I will carry on long after that.

And for those that view this as a dummy spitting, toy chucking strop, please remember that I am potentially throwing away all that I have supported for over 64 years. We all have opinions, we all have our own minds to make up. We have to respect what others decide.

I understand and respect your views, but i don't entirely agree. We all make mistakes and SC has made his fair share. However, after all these years I'm still happy to stick by the man who has stuck by us. He's made a mistake based on the prospect of a £2.5 million player becoming available for nothing. If he withdraws and apologises i for one will forgive him, draw a line under it all and move on.

Read the article and what people are saying about that woman. That IS an online mob, I agree

Saying "I don't want this man to play for my football club because he's a convicted rapist" is not the same as saying, and I'm quoting the article here, "....retreated from the pitchfork-wielding mass keen to rape u n leave aids drippin down ya face, as one person wrote on Twitter." If you can't see the difference then, well, words fail me.

If you fail to see the difference

I understand and respect your views, but i don't entirely agree. We all make mistakes and SC has made his fair share. However, after all these years I'm still happy to stick by the man who has stuck by us. He's made a mistake based on the prospect of a £2.5 million player becoming available for nothing. If he withdraws and apologises i for one will forgive him, draw a line under it all and move on.

He has made that mistake before though. It didn't work then, and he hasn't learned from his mistake.

Edited by dave_ragg1984

Ched might be very old by the time he clears his name. My feelings have changed slightly. I hate him more after reading his awful "Justice for Ched" website. He's clearly going after the victim and her friends and family. This is not the way to establish your innocence in such a case. For that alone, and regardless of whether a future court finds that the conviction was unsafe, I still hate him and want him never to play football again. It's true he's badly advised (his lawyers are milking him dry via the website and other ruses) but he's responsible for taking that advice. He's offereing money to anyone who will help him further sully the reputation of the victim. He's a grubby little :censored: who deserves nothing from anyone.

I've rad his site too. How is he clearly going after her and her family? He's trying to clear his name because he firmly believes he did no wrong and feels there was a miscarriage of justice. Ask yourself, if it was you, wouldn't you do as much as you could to clear your name? Or would you pander to the tabloids and just crawl in a hole and accept defeat?

He has made that mistake before though. It didn't work then, and he hasn't learned.

I'm not excusing his stupidity, but i would still forgive him and hope we could all move on...without the rapist. That would be of greatest benefit to the club. Otherwise, we'll all remain bitter, twisted and divided, even if most of us seem to agree.

A disqualification from working with Children is perhaps the main one (may not be an automatic condition). Given that we have a youth team and children attending matches, measures would have to be put into place to monitor him and ensure compliance.

He hasn't been accused or tried for offences against a minor so why should he be banned from such activities. And frankly, to pin him as some predatory paedophile is way out of order, regardless of your stance on the original offence.

I've rad his site too. How is he clearly going after her and her family? He's trying to clear his name because he firmly believes he did no wrong and feels there was a miscarriage of justice. Ask yourself, if it was you, wouldn't you do as much as you could to clear your name? Or would you pander to the tabloids and just crawl in a hole and accept defeat?

1. I'd have stuck her in a taxi, paid for it and rang her and/or the driver to make sure she got home okay.

2. When I fight, I fight hard but clean. Also smart. If I were trying to convince the CCRC or a court of my innocence, I'd avoid going after the victim. I also wouldn't get sucked in by lawyers who would encourage such a course of action.

Alas, Ched and I are worlds apart.

Read the article and what people are saying about that woman. That IS an online mob, I agree

Saying "I don't want this man to play for my football club because he's a convicted rapist" is not the same as saying, and I'm quoting the article here, "....retreated from the pitchfork-wielding mass keen to rape u n leave aids drippin down ya face, as one person wrote on Twitter." If you can't see the difference then, well, words fail me.

If you fail to see the difference

What you fail to see is the online mob jumping all over the web and news sites every time his name is mentioned with a football club then. Not saying you are part of it, but I bet the same lot are behind a chunk of it every time he gets mentioned

Edited by Max Damage

You don't know me, I don't post often but I do read regularly and I feel I know some of you !!

I have supported Latics for more than 35 years, I used to go with my Dad, we loved it because Latics was a family club and as dad said 'it just felt right'.

I live in Birmingham now, Dad's died and I take my son to away games when we can afford it. I love supporting OAFC. I'm a teacher and I have a latics flag over my whiteboard - it really confuses my class of 7 year olds! I'm not proud to support them today.

I feel sick today, I've struggled with footballs moral compass for years anyway- trying to justify the money, the dodgy dealings , Sky tv and all that gives with it but I've always thought, I love latics.....they are different...

No no no I just don't believe all this.... Evans doesn't deserve to play professional football anymore he needs to go away and get a proper job out of the public eye.

I'm so sad. What an utter balls up. What have they done to our club?

So, here's the thing.

I've reached my quota for the day. This is very sad but totally understandable.

What you fail to see is the online mob jumping all over the web and news sites every time his name is mentioned with a football club then. Not saying you are part of it, but I bet the same lot are behind a chunk of it every time he gets mentioned

I've followed most of this thread most of the day (very sad I know) and I've not seen anyone or can't remember anyone saying anything worse about Evans than that he's disgusting or a disgrace. Having an opinion about someone's actions is different to going out of your way to find that persons online profiles and abusing them, not unlike a lot of Evans' fans have done with the victim. That is an online mob, chasing, hounding and abusing a woman to the point she's had to change her name five times.

If Evans doesn't sign, is later cleared by the Court without any shadow of doubt and a miscarriage of justice is irrefutably proven, I would continue to support the club, but still wouldn't want him anywhere near Boundary Park purely because of the stigma.

Thats a pretty :censored:ty attitude to have. If he was acquitted and declared innocent there would be no moral objection to him playing. There wouldn't be a stigma.

Publicity, of course, but nothing as negative and tarnishing as this torrid :censored: we've had over the past couple of days.