An appeal can only overturn/retry with new evidence or an error by the judge at the trial. An appeal does not go through the case again. I personally think this a flaw in our justice system. There is no appeal for a bad decision by a jury. I am not saying this is the case with CE just stating the flaw in our system.

The courts are stretched enough as it is without every chancer applying for leave to appeal on the grounds of 'bad jury, retrial please'.

Edited by jsslatic

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted · Hidden by Matt, January 7, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Matt, January 7, 2015 - No reason given

But a jury, and the Court of Appeal have deemed him a :censored:ing rapist. He's a rapist up until any point that a court of law changes that.

We can all cut a post to suit an agenda. I could have knocked the 'h' off to make it look like you posted 'im a rapist'.

I'm a liberal person. Hell, I have had a few threesomes etc but when I went out for a pre-Christmas meal with a car-club (sad I know) and had what is now a former friend, suggesting that I and my Mrs should go to an 'adult club' with them, it was one of the weirdest conversations of my life.

I don't claim to fully 'understand' the thoughts behind sharing a bird with someone, it's not my cup of tea (unless it's another girl LOL) but going down on a bird that your mate has been up bareback is utterly VOM!

Rubbish.

It's not his 'match fitness' that worries me, he will be ready to go.

It's his mental strength that concerns me. Granted, he has been the victim of every wannabe-debater with a keyboard or phone for ages but the written word is different to a baying mob of angst from ignorant people with 16th century views. If I hadn't have got pissed a few fat ones would never have sat on my womb broom but I take responsibility for my actions. I wouldn't have touched the blubbery buggers if I was sober. LOL. Does that make them rapists?

He cheated on his bird. He was a lad. He was a drunken prick. He was a letch and an opportunist. He wasn't a rapist.

I spoke to my mate after work this evening, he was a City youth product that didn't make it and his words were (not verbatim);

'You will get a quality player. He didn't rape her. All he is guilty of in my eyes is cheating on his bird. He slipped one to a party slag that woke up feeling dirty. If he's a rapist, it's only the saddos that marry their first :censored: who aren't guilty'. I admit, I laughed.

Still not had a SINGLE bad comment from anyone and I am well known at work as an Oldham fan.

Well, if your mate says he didn't rape her, then he mustn't have. Why did it even go to trial?

Well, if your mate says he didn't rape her, then he mustn't have. Why did it even go to trial?

Different legal system under bridges in Wales.

Opinion is divided.

Society is divided.

Football supporters are divided.

The OAFC board are divided.

Sponsors are divided.

Most importantly we are divided.

That reflects the cross sections we know. One can therefore assume:

The squad are divided.

The club staff are divided.

The players and staff's wives, husbands and extended famalies are divided.

The most important thing about a team, be it 11 or 5000 is unity. We had that in bucketloads up until Nov 29. Now we are divided.

For that alone, opt out. Please.

This sums up the impact of the signing for me. How can we value the need for a half decent striker so highly as to risk the integrity of the entire club? It's particularly cruel having watched the brilliant 4 goals and articulate interview with Matt Smith on SSN. Releasing our coup star striker Rooney 6 months into his contract to see him top scorer for a table topping side. The barely played O'Grady scoring frequently in the Championship. Reuben Reid one of the leading scorers in L2. Any one of these could have clicked whilst here and developed into the player we are about to sell our soul for.

There are no positives to this massive PR cock up.

If Evans had the combined abilities of Steven Gerrard and Lionel Messi I would still think the price paid in terms of our reputation was too high,

Yeah, as we've had players of that calibre, even if they were pissed?

Shows the over action here.

Your colleagues sound like a lovely bunch, who I suppose you fit in with fairly easily.

Nice to see that people want to turn on 'their own'. Sadly, I'm employed to work with people who have their own opinion, rather than the opinion they are told to have by ignorant Twatter trolls. LOL

Well done. You get 10 bonus points for being a pedant.

Nice to see that people want to turn on 'their own'. Sadly, I'm employed to work with people who have their own opinion, rather than the opinion they are told to have by ignorant Twatter trolls. LOL

On the contrary, I am advised by 12 normal men and women selected at random. And the Lord Chief Justice. You are getting your opinion from a guilty party and the Internet.

Sorry if I was off with you though. Tough times for us all, including some who had opinions to share on other matters prior to mid November.

There are no positives to this massive PR cock up.

If Evans had the combined abilities of Steven Gerrard and Lionel Messi I would still think the price paid in terms of our reputation was too high,

Is that Gerrards ability to smash up an innocent mans jaw and then get his friend to do the time for him ?Another player lorded over despite his past.

On the contrary, I am advised by 12 normal men and women selected at random. And the Lord Chief Justice. You are getting your opinion from a guilty party and the Internet.

Sorry if I was off with you though. Tough times for us all, including some who had opinions to share on other matters prior to mid November.

LOL.

Ah, the old 'length of time on the forum' argument? Wow, not seen that one before?

I could point at post count/what else you have in life but I'm not going to. We are on the same side at the end of the day just with differencing views.

I would also point out that a family member of mine was raped about 20 years ago.

There is a huge difference between a genuine rape and this case. As stated, I was initially against this, now I think differently.

Does that make me a bad person? Someone that isn't stuborn in their views but can apply a dynamic viewpoint? Not bothered either way. This is the the Internet.

I've seen several posts from people listing out all their reasons for being against the signing but not really one for it other than snippets and 1 liners.

For genuine debate I'd really like to hear all your 'pro' list for wanting him to sign. Nothing about the court case though obviously.

Ok, here goes...dispassionately-

(Personally I would not touch Ched Evans with a barge pole.)

He gets found guilty. I wasn't there but I'm happy because, although I don't have particular faith in the courts, I know they are there through taxpayers money to do the best they can.

He gets sent down. Fine, I'm happy with that, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

He gets parole. Mmm, he hasn't served very long but I suppose he must have kept his nose clean.

He's on probation actually, part of the criminal justice system's scheme to re-introduce him back into the community. He'll need to get a job. Fair enough, all part of the greater scheme and all that, can't say I agree with some of these early releases but I guess the prisons are all full and what do I know anyway?

He wants to return to football. Gosh erm... erm...is there any legal reason why he can't? nope, within the confines of certain parole conditions of course. Are there legal reasons he should return to football? well, I guess that, as part of his rehabilitation (which is concurrent to the original punishment, which I applauded, remember?) there is a duty to return him to work, so why not his original profession - if he so wishes - after all, it's what he knows best. (now it gets tricky) so what moral objections do I have to his returning to football? Straight away It's a kick in the face for rape victims and women in general. And as a sports personality he risks been revered by youngsters. This doesn't sit well! And he's unrepentant! Well, actually no, he's proclaiming his innocence, he has a right to do that (thank goodness). Well, he's a sex offender! yes, and it's strange how we all have a pathological hatred of them buggers, but Evans the sex offender displayed neither violence nor traits of recidivism and certainly no predisposition towards children (if he had, he'd be nowhere near football) How about I try and find moral arguments for his return to football? Well, you could say that his rehabilitation as a footballer will reform his ahem character and people will learn that compassion can change people. But he's a rapist and a role model! an unrepentant one at that! No no, I've already said, he's proclaiming his innocence. In any case he can still become a shining example of someone who's turned their life around , he could even preach the virtues of temperance if his rehabilitation kicked in really hard.

He's signing for Oldham. Oh Jesus...

(Four days of unbelievable internet and media freak-out pass, every jumped up politician and their dog in the land spouting rubbish, hordes of smelly hacks descend on Boundary Park armed with notebooks and wet pencils, when in a normal week we barely get a minute on the FLS. Even the top cop in Manchester has to get his oar in -which is well out of order, his job is to catch them and he doesn't even do that very well. The internet is groaning and creaking under the weight of an online rampage and the heat from the Google servers alone raises the mean earth temperature for January by a whole degree (centigrade). most of the cyber traffic consists of insults, threats, simplifications, false speculation, over-reaction and misinterpretation.)

On the fifth day the press all get bored and go home.

On the sixth day, Latics sign Evans to howls of anger and much vitriol but later become brave, progressive and principled Oldham when there is a slow news week on Fleet Street.

Edited by piglinbland

Its fine to disagree with me... :-)

One thing i would say is that although the 'case isn't over' there are only two outcomes.

Either way, CE has paid his debt in jailtime so its over in that hes been punished as much as he can by the legal system..

Except he hasn't. One foot wrong and he's back inside to serve the rest of his sentence. Then where will we be? In the :censored: with one less player and a big media circus again.

Fruitygoo, on 07 Jan 2015 - 12:00 AM, said:snapback.png

Either way, CE has paid his debt in jailtime so its over in that hes been punished as much as he can by the legal system..

Except he hasn't. One foot wrong and he's back inside to serve the rest of his sentence. Then where will we be? In the :censored: with one less player and a big media circus again.

That's right. He would be serving the remainder of his sentence on licence in a blue shirt on our pitch. Shameful!

He plays, scores goals, conviction gets overturned, we sell for £2-3m and that funds the redevopment of the main stand, enabling us to push on as a club and we end up in the Prem. It would be a master stroke.

Corney hold out for 2 or 3 million. No chance, he's proven at not being able to negotiate above 500k

Have you seen/heard/read anything to suggest he'll do that? I haven't and I'm sure he'll be keeping squeaky clean.

The Daily Telegraph website has us on the front page again today (as does the Guardian) with this quote from our glorious Council Leader:

Jim McMahon, the leader of Oldham Council, urged the club not to sign Evans.

He said: “Oldham Council supports and enjoys a strong partnership relationship with Oldham Athletic, and I’ve personally worked hard with the club owners to help secure the redevelopment of Boundary Park because of the club’s importance to the town.

“My view – if I were in the club’s position – is that playing for a professional club puts you in the public eye and that carries important responsibilities. As things stand, I don’t believe that Mr Evans would be a suitable role model and ambassador for the town, or for the long-term reputation of the club.”

Edited by Alan Groves's Perm