• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/ched-evans-to-oldham-athletic-family-will-pay-up-to-pave-the-way-for-deal-with-league-one-club-9961432.html

Ched's girlfriend's Dad making up lost sponsorship money, as well as paying wages, and upto 75% of Oldham fans would welcome him. Riiiiiiiiight..

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/ched-evans-to-oldham-athletic-family-will-pay-up-to-pave-the-way-for-deal-with-league-one-club-9961432.html

Ched's girlfriend's Dad making up lost sponsorship money, as well as paying wages, and upto 75% of Oldham fans would welcome him. Riiiiiiiiight..

It doesn't say 75% will welcome, it says accept.

The poll on here is at 72 - 28 so not a million miles away from a reasonable cross section.

Its a pretty difficult one to poll what % are backing him and what % are not...

In general, it would appear most posters are against it but then those that post as being for it get slated....wonder how many are not posting support for that reason...

Edited by Fruitygoo

In general, it would appear most posters are against it but then those that post as being for it get slated....wonder how many are not posting support for that reason...

It's an anonymous poll I think. Only 28% would boycott out of 335 votes.

Stating that 75% would accept his signing isn't a shot in the dark. Even if some of the 335 votes are rigged, they are more likely to be rigged in favour of boycott rather than against it.

I can actually believe 75% of fans would accept (i.e. not boycott) Evans signing. Question is, does a 25% reduction in future gate/food receipts (assuming some of that 25% are prepaid ST holders) outweigh the potential benefit of him signing? Lot of pressure on him to score many, many goals and to recoup a sizeable fee...

I would think a hell of a lot.

I nearly didn't post my support and I took a hell of a lot of abuse when we were first linked with him. I'm glad I spoke out now and not scared to admit I'm slightly excited about seeing how we do with a proper striker.

So it looks as though the delay has been partly due to Gordon Taylor's unavailability (which I heard him mention in the News on Sunday night), because of his mother's funeral.

I can actually believe 75% of fans would accept (i.e. not boycott) Evans signing. Question is, does a 25% reduction in future gate/food receipts (assuming some of that 25% are prepaid ST holders) outweigh the potential benefit of him signing? Lot of pressure on him to score many, many goals and to recoup a sizeable fee...

For one season, no (if he does a good job).

For the lifetimes of those who would boycott and then never go again once Ched leaves. Yes, even if he gets us promoted.

As 0000s and others have shown if you stop going you get out of the habit of going and it becomes harder to start going again. So even if those who will boycott whilst Ched is here intend to go back once he leaves, (and not all of them will), many might not end up doing what they intended.

Just a feeling that people would sign up to vote against it.

It's a loaded question really. People who won't boycott are less likely to answer.

Fair enough. As much as I'm massively against this signing for many moral and practical reasons, I can't disagree with that.

"Ah, we might lose some genuine fans who've supported the club for years, but as long as their money can be re-couped from elsewhere...."

I would think a hell of a lot.

I nearly didn't post my support and I took a hell of a lot of abuse when we were first linked with him. I'm glad I spoke out now and not scared to admit I'm slightly excited about seeing how we do with a proper striker.

Yeah i know what you mean. My opinion is scatterd across pages of this thread but im happy to openly discuss why i think he should be allowed to sign.

Some people just wouldnt fancy the discussion with someone who simply shoot them down

Edited by Fruitygoo

For one season, no (if he does a good job).

For the lifetimes of those who would boycott and then never go again once Ched leaves. Yes, even if he gets us promoted.

As 0000s and others have shown if you stop going you get out of the habit of going and it becomes harder to start going again. So even if those who will boycott whilst Ched is here intend to go back once he leaves, (and not all of them will), many might not end up doing what they intended.

Yes. Suspect Corney isn't thinking long term. My guess (based on nothing more than opinion) is that he wants out and will sell up at the first sniff of a decent offer. And a vague hope of goals leading to a Championship position, or incremental improvement on current position, is better than nothing, regardless of stayaways, in his mind.

I would accept it and will still attend, but it makes me sick to my stomach that we have become the laughing stock that we currently are.

Also, anybody who thinks we can afford to lose 1000 off the gate (as we did the season after the infamous doggate) is in dreamland.

Its already a horrific decision. I for one can only see it getting worse.....and to think we have done this to ourselves, unbelievable!!

I am just hoping against all my instincts that we keep our manager. I suspect on a balance of time of 6 months, it is highly uncertain.

Whoever made or took that bloody call should be ashamed!!