Think it is a done deal now just crossing the t's etc. Got a feeling that the PFA will be paying his wages for a period of time and from a Latics point of view it is a very cheap striker on the books.

Just have to grin and bear it and either stop watching them or carry on with a stiff upper lip as there will be a lot of flak flying about..

Really don't think the PFA would do that. Very very dodgy ground for a union to pay the wages of a member who's been convicted of a crime to help him get back into employment. Never heard of any union doing that before (and would genuinely be interested to hear if that has happened). Particularly as the PFA also represents female players - what message would that send to them? We financially support the rehabilitation of unrepentant convicted rapists?

• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think it is a done deal now just crossing the t's etc. Got a feeling that the PFA will be paying his wages for a period of time and from a Latics point of view it is a very cheap striker on the books.

Just have to grin and bear it and either stop watching them or carry on with a stiff upper lip as there will be a lot of flak flying about..

There will be the inevitable consequences with some fans staying away and sponsors pulling out but at the end of the day you pay your money and make your choice.

SC is probably working on the basis that this is his last shot at getting us into the championship and if it goes tits up so will he,

also probably thinking that crowds are :censored:e anyway so what difference will a few more stay aways make (give MR Owen something more to moan about)

The big problem may come when the woman that started the online petition then starts a campaign to boycott SD shops , what will Mike Ashley's reaction be then??

If they do go with it they either have balls of steel or heads of concrete !!!!!!!!!!!

If SC thinks his best chance of getting Oldham into the championship is 1 striker, and a convicted rapist at that, he is a bigger fool than I think he already is for getting us into this mess.

Well, since it seems to be anecdotal evidence day today, I've been contacted by friends and ex-colleagues (including people outside the UK) expressing their view that they wouldn't want their club signing him and that it would be a huge mistake. So does that make us all equal on the "someone I know expressed an opinion for/against" stake?

The big problem may come when the woman that started the online petition then starts a campaign to boycott SD shops , what will Mike Ashley's reaction be then??

My guess is headed each a cake. Consider his business and he still doesn't mind being hated by all of Newcastle Nd shortly the less fragrant half of Glasgow

Can't argue with the size of our balls. Always said, if we don't take him on, someone else will, to the detriment of our playoff push no doubt.

Glad we've shown the spine to go for it. You'll be calling it a master-stroke in a season or 2.

He could "fire" us into the :censored:ing premier league - I assure you I will never call this a master stroke

He could "fire" us into the :censored:ing premier league - I assure you I will never call this a master stroke

He plays, scores goals, conviction gets overturned, we sell for £2-3m and that funds the redevopment of the main stand, enabling us to push on as a club and we end up in the Prem. It would be a master stroke.

He plays, scores goals, conviction gets overturned, we sell for £2-3m and that funds the redevopment of the main stand, enabling us to push on as a club and we end up in the Prem. It would be a master stroke.

He plays, doesn't score many goals, conviction stands, we finish 12th, no one wants to buy him. In the process the club loses loyal fans and gains a huge amount of negative publicity.

What then? Still worth the dirty gamble?

Which out of yours and my scenario is the most likely?

He plays - scores nought to 5 goals and we don't sell him at all which is the more likely outcome never mind his murky scumbag background and the fact our club has been dragged through the mud.... Not a masterstroke

He plays, doesn't score many goals, conviction stands, we finish 12th, no one wants to buy him. In the process the club loses loyal fans and gains a huge amount of negative publicity.

What then? Still worth the dirty gamble?

Which out of yours and my scenario is the most likely?

We said the same thing at the same time - I'm with you

Just heard that Johnson wants Evans. It is 3rd hand from me but I know the source who is reliable.

If it is true it may not make any difference to many but allies my fears of meltdown in the dressing room and management, if indeed Evans signs.

Just heard that Johnson wants Evans. It is 3rd hand from me but I know the source who is reliable.

If it is true it may not make any difference to many but allies my fears of meltdown in the dressing room and management, if indeed Evans signs.

Good. Get him signed. Looking forward to seeing what this side can do with a proper striker.

Haven't we all been calling for an out and out goal scorer? If he picks up where he left off, like Hughes did, he's exactly the type of player we need.

I said it previously that Ashley and Sports Direct wouldn't be fussed either way if we signed him or not.

Signing Evans won't affect sales at Sports Direct regardless of the campaign Vera Baird has started urging Ashley to pull sponsorship. SD shoppers shop based on cheap prices rather than the ethics of Ashley. Would it affect the sale of £3 t-shirts or £20 Lonsdale trainers if Ashley was found to be an international arms smuggler let alone a sponsor of a morally bankrupt football club?!

The signing won't even reduce the sales of his OAFC merchandise...the quality of the shirts have probably affected this more than what the Evans signing could do.

Let's face it; despite all the comments on here, the majority of the fans attending home matches will still cheer when Evans scores for us. I expect a few on here to state that they won't but I'll unhappily prove you wrong when it happens. We'll still get the same home attendances for the rest of this season and next if Evans stays longer than May....attendances will probably increase as the press circus attends every game and every goal he scores will be played via the media.

Good. Get him signed. Looking forward to seeing what this side can do with a proper striker.

Haven't we all been calling for an out and out goal scorer? If he picks up where he left off, like Hughes did, he's exactly the type of player we need.

Have fun, hope you enjoy it.

Rumours it is not a single woman but a GROUP of women in London with a very clear agenda on a range of feminist issues. http://jeanhatchet.blogspot.co.uk/ from blog strap line. Radical feminist calling out the wrongs she sees and not always as others would like it said.

Oh no! A GROUP of...WOMEN! Run to the hills!