• Replies 3.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

60,000 pétition signed telling us what we should do ?

We only get 3500 home fans

The Sheffield Utd petition reached 160,000. I don't think they get that many either. It's an open petition just as any other on Change.org or 38 Degrees etc.

Yeah i know what you mean. My opinion is scatterd across pages of this thread but im happy to openly discuss why i think he should be allowed to sign.

Some people just wouldnt fancy the discussion with someone who simply shoot them down

I've seen several posts from people listing out all their reasons for being against the signing but not really one for it other than snippets and 1 liners.

For genuine debate I'd really like to hear all your 'pro' list for wanting him to sign. Nothing about the court case though obviously.

I know you can't believe everything you read in the press, but if Ched's future Daddy-in-Law is stumping up the readies to get the deal through as according to The Independent, it just makes the whole thing even dirtier in my mind. I wonder how much lower we can go?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/ched-evans-to-oldham-athletic-family-will-pay-up-to-pave-the-way-for-deal-with-league-one-club-9961432.html

Ched's girlfriend's Dad making up lost sponsorship money, as well as paying wages, and upto 75% of Oldham fans would welcome him. Riiiiiiiiight..

I'm pro signing him as you know but he is a very lucky lad in terms of his backing if that's true?

How many people would give someone so much as the time of day if they had cheated on their Daughter? Not many. Even fewer for what he's done time for.

For him to then be paying legal fees and helping to pay a clubs losses is beyond bold. It's high leverage when you look at the toxic press surrounding this case and his fortune is based on a Jewellers who I would wager make a lot due to marriages etc. Marriage and this case go together like steak and custard.

I hope he gets it over-turned and repays everyone who has shown loyalty, faith or even a blindly, opportunistic faith. He'll be washing up on Christmas Day until the day he dies!

For one season, no (if he does a good job).

For the lifetimes of those who would boycott and then never go again once Ched leaves. Yes, even if he gets us promoted.

As 0000s and others have shown if you stop going you get out of the habit of going and it becomes harder to start going again. So even if those who will boycott whilst Ched is here intend to go back once he leaves, (and not all of them will), many might not end up doing what they intended.

This is a big worry for me. I won't see him play for us, I would certainly hope to come back afterwards, but who knows how any of us will feel by the time this :censored: is through? Some certainly won't return including families and our next generation.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/ched-evans-to-oldham-athletic-family-will-pay-up-to-pave-the-way-for-deal-with-league-one-club-9961432.html

Ched's girlfriend's Dad making up lost sponsorship money, as well as paying wages, and upto 75% of Oldham fans would welcome him. Riiiiiiiiight..

Unforgivable from the chairman that he is happy to alienate a significant part of the very small, very loyal remaining fanbase just because he can get a player for what is essentially free. It's quite clear the fans don't and never have mattered a jot to the ones making this decision. I didn't know further disillusionment was possible but this has somehow further increased it.

I've seen several posts from people listing out all their reasons for being against the signing but not really one for it other than snippets and 1 liners.

For genuine debate I'd really like to hear all your 'pro' list for wanting him to sign. Nothing about the court case though obviously.

Been a long day...im also typing on phone so as brief but well explained as i can

Firstly, i'll start by saying i took myself away from being an oldham fan to make my decision.

Once i did this i came to the decision that i would ignore the claims of innocence. Until i read otherwise and the conviction is overturned, ched evans is a convicted rapist. I will believe a jury of peers because that is how our system works.

I actually disagree with his sentance. For me, the period of time which was given was insufficient however that is my own moral stance. Greater powers than I judge what is deemed to be a sufficient punishment and this is what was handed out.

To me, therefore, now out on licence, i accept Ched to be eligible to take his place in society which, again, is how our system is meant to work.

If hes eligible to take up his chosen profession (and remember, there are no legal reasons why he shouldn't - rightly or wrongly!), then in my opinion ched SHOULD be allowed to play football.

If i think he should be allowed to play, but then put my oafc hat on and say 'but not for us' that makes me a hypocrite.

I dont want all the media furore so id PREFER him to go elsewhere but i will accept the decision if we offer him the way back in.

Ultimately, i disagree with his sentance and the fact that there are no rules to stop him restarting as a footballer but they are based on my own personal judgements and not the actual law/rules in place.

Theres nothing to stop him playing therefore he should be allowed.

Edited by Fruitygoo

Been a long day...im also typing on phone so as brief but well explained as i can

Firstly, i'll start by saying i took myself away from being an oldham fan to make my decision.

Once i did this i came to the decision that i would ignore the claims of innocence. Until i read otherwise and the conviction is overturned, ched evans is a convicted rapist. I will believe a jury of peers because that is how our system works.

I actually disagree with his sentance. For me, the period of time which was given was insufficient however that is my own moral stance. Greater powers than I judge what is deemed to be a sufficient punishment and this is what was handed out.

To me, therefore, now out on licence, i accept Ched to be eligible to take his place in society which, again, is how our system is meant to work.

If hes eligible to take up his chosen profession (and remember, there are no legal reasons why he shouldn't - rightly or wrongly!), then in my opinion ched SHOULD be allowed to play football.

If i think he should be allowed to play, but then put my oafc hat on and say 'but not for us' that makes me a hypocrite.

I dont want all the media furore so id PREFER him to go elsewhere but i will accept the decision if we offer him the way back in.

Ultimately, i disagree with his sentance and the fact that there are no rules to stop him restarting as a footballer but they are based on my own personal judgements and not the actual law/rules in place.

this is where im at, but it's :censored:ing mingin nonetheless

I think the reasons for for me are as follows

A football perspective are based on his record at Sheff Utd. If he gains match fitness and scores goals and helps the team improve then it makes sense.

Board perspective it's a gamble but I think a brave gamble.

From a moral perspective depends on your view. I have made it clear in my posts I believe in giving a second chance and haven't felt threatened in anyway (I think it is how you put across your view). That doesn't mean I am comfortable with it, nor am I getting excited by it. I understand the opposing view and consider rape abhorrent. Just believe in trying to rehabilitate people back into normal life, don't think any footballer outside the premiership top clubs are role models for a younger generation and even if they are kids are playing violent games like GTA that to me is abhorrent in its representation of violence and assault. I feel the remorse angle is difficult in the circumstances. I don't agree with his website and think it should be taken down. There is a victim and I think that should be remembered.

The appeal will play out in court. I think unsuccessfully but then I also think the justice system has its flaws. He has however served the jail part of his sentence and should be able to rebuild some sort of life, as I said before though he is still a footballer it is at a lower level and in much more difficult circumstances and therefore he has not returned to be a top paid player adored by his fans. He is coming to a club where the majority don't want him.

I stand by the fact that BO has to stand down. He has not reflected the views of the trust IMO and therefore is in a untenable position. If he is not behind it then resign on principle.

Saddest thing is the splitting of the fans and the cost of the whole thing will only be known in a few months/years time.

Edited by aberdeenlatic

Agree...i may not agree with the system but where would we be without it...

The pfa / FA need, really, to come out and say in future that they will look out for the best intrests of a professional until any conviction for a particular set of crimes. Once cinvicted, your out on your ear as per teaching / police etc

This should stop this type of thing in future and also may make one or two think when they get into certain situations.

As of now, this doesnt exist so ched should be allowed

Edited by Fruitygoo

75% would welcome him ??? LMFAO

And could you imagine backing the guy who not only cheated on your daughter but committed rape at the same time. FFS that is one disturbing :censored:ed up family.

Edited by oafc0000

Off to bed..

I wonder how Latics can make this situation any worse?

Drag it on for a 5th Day?

Run around saying that the fans are happy?

Approach ISIS to be the new stand sponsor?

I expect its gunna get worse before it gets better.

* A £3m striker for 'free' (4 times our all time record signing Ian Olney)

* The scope for said striker to commit to the club long-term for the faith shown.

* Whole career spent in the top 2 leagues bar 1 season in League 1 when he got 29 goals in 36 games.

* If this hadn't have happened he could arguably be playing in the Premiership now.

* If it's over-turned the club would be vindicated of any :censored: that has been thrown their way.

* Goals win games.

* People late into the professional game seem to play at the top until longer in my eyes - Stuart Pearce, Ian Wright etc, so it could perhaps be argued that his 'time away' could be recouped?

* At 26 years old, with the right contract and backing (think that's been fluffed in the last few days), we could have had a decent striker for a decade?

* I actually think current players will have doubts about the strength of his conviction and the difference in 'views' seems very generational. Football players don't seem to be the age range that are spitting tampons. Could actually build a siege mentality and strengthen team solidity (I accept that will be contested by most!)

* Durex could offer a £ per click on the forum in which case we can sign Neuer, Lahm, Varane, Hummels, Alaba, Hazard, Pogba, Rodriguez, Busquets, Messi and Ronaldo?

I disagree. But fair enough, and thanks for not using the reason of him firing us to the prem!

Reason for disagreeing about whether he should be back in work is that it's not over. The case isn't closed. Maybe legally it isn't a problem him playing again, but morally in my eyes it is. The nature of the crime and some of the things on his personal website means it's still too raw for him to return to football yet in my opinion with any club.

There are several other reasons for me being against it but another is what our motivation for signing him is. We're not obliged to give him his second chance so why should we? I can't see any other reason for it other than the board see the gamble worth taking in the hope he either helps get us promoted or we can at least sell him on at a profit. Get a 'proven' striker on the cheap. Ignoring the fact he hasn't played for 3 years.

A short term gamble that ignores a lot of loyal fans wishes. And will lose fans in the long term.

It's a terrible way to act and one not befitting a club I want to support.

Its fine to disagree with me... :-)

One thing i would say is that although the 'case isn't over' there are only two outcomes.

Either way, CE has paid his debt in jailtime so its over in that hes been punished as much as he can by the legal system..

Its fine to disagree with me... :-)

One thing i would say is that although the 'case isn't over' there are only two outcomes.

Either way, CE has paid his debt in jailtime so its over in that hes been punished as much as he can by the legal system..

Maybe I'm hoping that when the review is over he'll come out and show a bit of contrition and plead for all the hounding of the victim to stop.