Big Statement

Good work by LJ and SC. The squad has been improved. It is likely that we will need another 37 points from 20 games to make 6th spot. It could be less as there is an obvious top four with Sheffield likely to join them. We are in a dogfight with a dozen teams but given who we have yet to play it is in our own hands. In LJ I trust!

We are in a dogfight with a dozen teams but given who we have yet to play it is in our own hands. In LJ I trust!

The fact that there are so many teams means teams are playing and taking points off each other every week. Any team that strings together results of 18-20 pts or so out of ten games will soon see a gap appear below them

Rhys Murphy looks a great signing - like Kelly, Forte, Elokobi (and to a lesser extent Wilson) another we wouldn't have been able to sign had he not had his injuries.

On which note - our physio seems to be doing a very, very good job. Who is he?

If he gets fit, he could improve us this season but, if not, he's certainly one who can do well next year and be sold on for a healthy profit, yet again.

If Murphy needs time, Connor Wilkinson will do if he can replicate what he did first time round. If he's improved and added goals to his game we'll be flying.

Mellis looks promising too - how long is his loan for?

We're a bit light in central midfield in the event of injuries or suspensions - yes Dieng can come in but he's not done so well there previously - so I wouldn't be surprised to see a loan come in there....

I can't wait for tonight and thoroughly looking forward to the rest of the season

Good innit?

e5030726_zpsbf32dbcc.gif

Is it wrong that I'm more tempted by the 9/4 for finishing the bottom half. Only because it guarantees me a return as I had similar odds for us to finish top half at the start of the season.

I'd be looking around at the team that's going to sink, as someone always does, Dale and Chesterfield might be very good bets there.

From what I am reading last nights performance could well of been the biggest statement of the week, for me this squad contains too many players with a weak mentality, Rachubkas gone so we cant blame him, Kelly was back so theres no excuse there, in reality we are what we are an average run of the mill League 1 side, we have players who turn up when they want, too many havent got it in them to influence a game or even show some consistency, its a shame because for the first time in a while we had a chance but for whatever reason since Preston in the JPT it just hasnt happened, its not negativity its realism we somehow need to go back to what we had in the 12/13 match unbeaten run, we have the same players all we need to do is adopt the same tatics, get back to basics stop over thinking everything and play our best players in there best positions, one final point is how on earth is B Wilson keeping at least 3 suitable replacements out at right back ? He hasnt performed for weeks and must have something written into his contract to play each week because he is poor, Kusunga for one must think he is never going to get a chance to play if he is immune from being dropped.

From what I am reading last nights performance could well of been the biggest statement of the week, for me this squad contains too many players with a weak mentality, Rachubkas gone so we cant blame him, Kelly was back so theres no excuse there, in reality we are what we are an average run of the mill League 1 side, we have players who turn up when they want, too many havent got it in them to influence a game or even show some consistency, its a shame because for the first time in a while we had a chance but for whatever reason since Preston in the JPT it just hasnt happened, its not negativity its realism we somehow need to go back to what we had in the 12/13 match unbeaten run, we have the same players all we need to do is adopt the same tatics, get back to basics stop over thinking everything and play our best players in there best positions, one final point is how on earth is B Wilson keeping at least 3 suitable replacements out at right back ? He hasnt performed for weeks and must have something written into his contract to play each week because he is poor, Kusunga for one must think he is never going to get a chance to play if he is immune from being dropped.

B Wilson seems a managers fixture no matter how he performs, Elokobi apart from his goals has defended poorly and my heart is in my mouth whenever the ball is near him, and J Wilson seems to be in a world of his own since all the transfer talk.

The main problem is as you say the lack in some players of a battling mentality, we saw this in particular against Yeovil and MK Dons.

It is up to the manager to instill a fighting spirit in his team for every match, if he can't do that with the players he's got all the talk of play offs is irrelevant, in fact with a poor attitude the team could easily slip into a long losing run.

We see very few Latics players run directly through the middle and have a shot at goal, often it take a dozen passes to get the ball in the box, you need some variety, maybe Murphy can provide this when he's fit and ready, I hope so.