Barnsley vs oldham

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont hate him by the way, I just want better for the team.

I hate the way some Oldham fans accept mediocrity on one hand and slam talent becuase its not performing to the level they expect n the other and so want rid.

The fact that he now seems to have his own song above so many better players who never have pisses me off a little bit :crackpot:

The reason we are outside the playoffs and not in it is due to the mediocrity of players like Connor Brown. He has improved to a point but people are falling over themselves it seems to point out what he does ok and ignore the fact that he makes mistakes and is not comfortable on the ball (its never out of his feet after his first touch, its why he stands on the bloody thing when he first gains possession) he allows crosses from which ever side he plays and his positioning is very suspect. At the moment the Cons far outweigh the pros for me, Contrary to popular belief I do hope that changes......

I will try my very best form now on not to comment on him again.....unles someone states something ridiculous about him of course, should be a few days at least :surrender:

Connor for England, Connor for England

6 out of 27 league games and he singles him out, deary me.

Again, you just pick out what you want from what I say. I said mediocre players like. He is an example of why we are not in the play offs. Not the sole reason.

Available for 21 games by the way is a large portion of the season here. I replied as I consider your last 3 post about my opinions ridiculous (see previous post)

Again, you just pick out what you want from what I say. I said mediocre players like. He is an example of why we are not in the play offs. Not the sole reason.

Available for 21 games by the way is a large portion of the season here. I replied as I consider your last 3 post about my opinions ridiculous (see previous post)

He was the only player you mentioned by name.

This is stupid because that mediocrity argument could be applied to almost anyone, Kelly and Forte aside.

Yet Brown is singled out.

Philliskirk climbing the boo-boy ranks too.

They are League One players for a reason.

If they weren't mediocre, they'd be at a higher level - particularly the way LJ has us playing.

They will make mistakes now and then - but it's how the team reacts and performs at the end of the day.

It annoys me that players who are giving their all for the shirt - and I include Philli, Brown and Mellor in that - are being singled out. Particularly when the rationale isn't logical. Eg :censored:e all-round team performance, not an obvious mistake for goal - yet it's all about Brown for being out of position, or for Philliskirk for giving the ball away.

What was our last home gate?

I blame the miserable folk of Oldham who can't arsed turning up or who want to be associated with our PL cousins because they are shallow, fickle and (probably) have to compensate for small genitalia.

We can't have a full squad of Championship players on Conference gates.

Danny Wilson knew we can rarely pass our way through teams so he told his players to sit back and we didn't.

They beat us by not trying to beat us.

Spot on Harry, talked to my Barnsley supporting colleagues and they said their wide men were very quiet and sat back all the time, particularly their left mid, who apparently is one of their main attacking threats, who was given the job of keeping Winchester quiet.

It annoys me that players who are giving their all for the shirt - and I include Philli, Brown and Mellor in that - are being singled out. Particularly when the rationale isn't logical. Eg :censored:e all-round team performance, not an obvious mistake for goal - yet it's all about Brown for being out of position, or for Philliskirk for giving the ball away.

Apart from run

This is stupid because that mediocrity argument could be applied to almost anyone, Kelly and Forte aside.

Yet Brown is singled out.

Philliskirk climbing the boo-boy ranks too.

They are League One players for a reason.

If they weren't mediocre, they'd be at a higher level - particularly the way LJ has us playing.

They will make mistakes now and then - but it's how the team reacts and performs at the end of the day.

Whilst they are currently League One players, that doesn't mean that they can have a different level of ability i.e. some of theem capable of playing in a team that gets promoted / sign for a better team.

Successful sides in divisions tend to have a blend of good players for that level with a few players that are capable of playing at a higher level. Look at the teams that get promoted - even if they go back down some of their players will transfer to stay at the same level. I am not sure therefore that I accept the 'they are only League One players argument' as a reason to defend poor performances.

It can also work the other way round, that there can be players playing in League One that actually are not up to the standard required and end up at League Two or below standard. There are a number of ex-Latics players over the last decade or so that have ended up there.

The idea of a boo-boy list is one that is referred to on this board a lot, and I have sympathy for it. You do read and hear negative comments about players and people getting on their backs when they make any mistake rather than taking the balanced view of them.

But at the sametime, eventually there will come points where we have players in our team that are not good enough and it will be a matter of time before they leave the club. Individual fans will have different opinions on when and who meets the criteria, but what should fans do? Ignore this and blindly support and complement anyone in a blue shirt? Or have an opnion and say when they think a player is not up to it?

Personally, if that discussion and comment is saved for the pub, work coffee area or message board then I have no issue with criticsm of players. Whilst at the game and they are playing - do your best to be positive.

Of the current bunch there are a few that I have doubts about whether in the longterm they are good enough to be the strong League One/Championship quality players we need. Brown and Philliskirk are two such players in the current line-up for me, and Big George has made me feel similar on occasions since his return from injury. For me, they need more time to see how they get on and develop before I'd make a decision, but there is nothing wrong with indiviual fans raising their concerns over the quality of players at the club.

The best thing about the game is that I didn't go. The worst thing about the game was playing Forte up front. We have a delicate flower who has scored loads of goals from left mid and we put him up against the beast. He scored running from left mid Saturday. Can somebody on the coaching staff tell LJ - FORTE LEFT MID NOT UP FRONT. Yes I have criticised the LJ I trust!

In the Chron, LJ says:

"The fans moaned a bit at the end of the defeat by Barnsley this week, but I've no problem with that. Trust me, I was moaning five times as hard when I got back in the dressing room.”

http://www.oldham-chronicle.co.uk/news-features/10/oldham-athletic-news/90194/our-task-tomorrows-as-hard-as-iron