Bloody love this kit

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, me neither. Make it all blue, Marketing Man. With red piping.

Absolutely. If people are talking about identity then what's better than the kits we wore around the time the club became a household name.

I love the kit from 87/88. The away kit could just be a straight switch red with blue piping.

Edited by palmer1

I don't like it. Hopefully the marketing guy takes my thoughts into consideration too.

Fair enough, but don't you think the club needs a kit which everyone can identify with instead of copying common designs?

It was actually that kit which drew me to the club as a kid back in the late 1950s, I thought the kit was different to any others (well maybe apart from Ajax's red) and I had a found team with some uniqueness.

The Latics 1962 kit is mentioned here as one of the classic designs;

Quote:"this remains the definitive Oldham kit".

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Articles/Classics.htm

Edited by BP1960

Needs white sleeves in my opinion.

I think Topoff was wearing (briefly) a '00 Slumberland Ajax-style shirt the other week. Now there's a football shirt.

The story is that Ajax got their famous stripe from this strip. Personally I like it. But I think the way kit manufacturers work these days is that they make generic ones for most teams they supply so they can keep the costs down.

I started with Latics in the seventies, Wood, Whittle, Brycleland, Bebbington, Fryatt, Heath, Shaw etc. Nothing comes close for me to the tangerine, blue and blue. You can't say many have those colours. I know it wasn't for very long but I loved it. Even bought a replica a few years ago, dreadful material in those days but could be done great now. Anyone got a colour picture from then that they can put on here so everyone can admire it.

I started with Latics in the seventies, Wood, Whittle, Brycleland, Bebbington, Fryatt, Heath, Shaw etc. Nothing comes close for me to the tangerine, blue and blue. You can't say many have those colours. I know it wasn't for very long but I loved it. Even bought a replica a few years ago, dreadful material in those days but could be done great now. Anyone got a colour picture from then that they can put on here so everyone can admire it.

How about this .photo-thumb-1087.jpg?_r=0

Oldham1970_600x480.jpg

I've got to say the full blue strip at Fleetwood away was a beauty.

Then again I'd love a bit of identity once in a while. A bit of a change from the regular home kit, whether it was the Ajax style retro shirt, a full tangerine one or one with red piping and those thin pinstripes. I do find the most recent ones a bit boring.

Top man BP.

Now everyone, what do you think of that???

That's what you call a distinctive kit.

Although I do prefer the traditional kit as shown in 1962, I did like the one Ken Bates introduced, the shirt was actually called 'electric orange' and it really did glimmer during floodlit matches. I would make it the away kit as it was in 2012.

New-Oldham-Away-Kit-2012-13.jpg

Edited by BP1960

Thinking about it, you can fantasise about the return of a certain retro kit but it will never come near to anything that was made in the past just because of the quality of the material used to make kits now being so poor and cheap. They look tacky.

Derby's kit this season is the closest to looking properly retro because its plainness makes it looks better made. We'll never have a really nice kit with Sondico, even if we had a direct replica of the red pipe pinstripe shirts, tangerine one or the Ajax style.

Fair enough, but don't you think the club needs a kit which everyone can identify with instead of copying common designs?

It was actually that kit which drew me to the club as a kid back in the late 1950s, I thought the kit was different to any others (well maybe apart from Ajax's red) and I had a found team with some uniqueness.

The Latics 1962 kit is mentioned here as one of the classic designs;

Quote:"this remains the definitive Oldham kit".

http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Articles/Classics.htm

Latics and Ajax - both managed by Jack Rowley.