Full Time: Oldham Athletic 0 Colchester 1

It was shambolic. An absolutely horrendous performance. Liam Kelly was the Liam Kelly that started the season. We had no invention. We never looked like scoring and very few players came out of the game with any credit.

That said, after the season we've had, I think we can turn a blind eye to the odd poor performance. They have been very few and far between this season, especially when you compare it to seasons gone by...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dust down. Freshen up and sharpen up.

We are well placed. But when the chips are down we do seem to piss away "easy" points.

Sort it out and we make the play-offs. Carry on as is and we won't. The two teams that find consistency push us out of the top spots.

As my lad said to me today "this is the reason why the play off's are out of our reach, too many poor performances on the back of a couple of decent results"

We've had a few Sat-Tues-Sat-Tues games and I think today showed how much Tuesday's game had taken out of them. Fortunately they have the week off now until the next game and can get some niggles healed.

Far from the standards we've come to expect recently, tired minds and legs out there. Fair play to Colchester, they harassed, were compact, got at us from the off and nicked a smash and grab win.

. How was it justified? We are in the playoffs with one of the lowest budgets booing them does nothing for moral, nothing. We showed what we could do as fans last season when we were down near the relegation and we all got behind them and we stayed up. Same logic should apply when we are near the top of the league. Boo if you want but for me its pathetic.

I don't boo I like to think I'm fairly reasonable but that today was unacceptable regardless of league position I still expect better than that against a team 4th bottom of the league team. As far as I'm concerned the fans have a right to vent their spleen.

A £5 entry and it was still a rip off.

Just as expected! That says it all. Did anyone have a good game? The tactics against Swindon were spot on and then we play one small striker up front against centre backs a head taller. Did anyone watch Colchester? A management failure. Lower teams need as much respect as those around us. This squad directed properly should take three points from the hapless Colchester but no - nothing! Why or why was Mellis sitting back with that massive hole in mid field. Why or why play it safe all the time. Every run made by the forwards was ignored as yet another sideways/backwards pass. Crazy that Mellis was the only one to get a shot on target just before he was subbed. Head over the ball you useless professional footballers. For f..k sake!

What gets on my goat a little bit is deciding to shove Elokobi up front in the last ten minutes, yet attempt passes through the eye of a needle all the time. I just didn't see the point in that.

As soon as Colchester went 1-0 up after 2 minutes I think we all knew how this would pan out. The match had that eery familiarity about it.

Our only winger is at St Mirren (apart from Forte, but from what I've read was playing through the middle today instead).

Today was bad - probably the lowest (on field) point of the season so far - but at no point did I think; "We need James Dayton, here..".

Edited by JoeP

What gets on my goat a little bit is deciding to shove Elokobi up front in the last ten minutes, yet attempt passes through the eye of a needle all the time. I just didn't see the point in that.

As soon as Colchester went 1-0 up after 2 minutes I think we all knew how this would pan out. The match had that eery familiarity about it.

True, For an hour we hoofed it up to Murphy who had no chance in the air, and after Elokobi went up front we stopped doing that, it defies belief.

Today was bad - probably the lowest (on field) point of the season so far - but at no point did I think; "We need James Dayton, here..".

Why was most of the pedestrian play on the right when we had a fast left winger in Forte who hardly received the ball?

He isn't the answer but he's someone who would give us a different option when our narrow midfield formation doesn't work

Same reason you and everyone else doesn't rain praise on them when we win. Never would have happened if Paul Murray was here

If you bothered to read my previous posts you will see credit given when its been earned

I must remember not to post any criticism of the the manager, coaches and his players in case it annoys people like you.

Edited by BP1960

Why was most of the pedestrian play on the right when we had a fast left winger in Forte who hardly received the ball?

:dntknw:

He isn't the answer but he's someone who would give us a different option when our narrow midfield formation doesn't work

Sorry, but don't think he should be an option at all.

I agree, though, we were too narrow - Kelly drifted out wide at stages in the first-half in an assumed attempt to widen our play. First time I've seen that happen..

Edited by JoeP

If you bothered to read my previous posts you will see credit given when its been earned

I must remember not to post any criticism of the the manager, coaches and his players in case it annoys people like you.

Doesn't annoy me at all. Its a message board, stop taking it so seriously ffs! I apologise if i missed it but I have never read praise from you about Dean Holden? Just negative post insinuating that he was the reason for a dip in form.

1st off thanks Latics as i am £120 richer tonight , 0-1 so predictable especially after Tuesday.

All this rubbish on here about , one of those days etc , move on etc etc,

Absolute sh*te because the next time a lower teams visits us the same thing will happen.

The problem is a constant one we currently have at BP , no coincidence that we have not only lost to the 4 bottom sides at BP but we have scored one goal in those 4

games and that was by a defender against 10 men .

These teams come and park the bus and try and catch us at the break. problem is we just don't have the nous to break them down.

Nobody clever enough to thread the pass through and nobody up front wise enough to make the intelligent run.

I know we haven't got those kind of gifted players to do that so we must have a plan B when these teams do visit.

We end up playing long ball to a 5 foot CF against a 6'7" CH !!!!!!!!!!! what kind of plan B is that ?

Straight from KO today you could see that Colchester were out for the quick goal , 5 players in our box on their first attack.

They are gifted it on their second attack and then just sit back because they know we wont break them down.

It is a constant problem at home and LJ has to sort it out and quick.

We have the best chance for a long time to get into the play offs and we are throwing it away.

The ironic thing is that if we did make the play offs then our record against the tops teams would give us more than a great chance of winning it.

The problem is that these kind of defeats will stop us getting there.

Colchester and the others are in the bottom 4 because they lose far more games than the rest so what do other teams do differently to beat them .

Please find out LJ and get a decent plan B in operation before the next one comes along.

Edited by losesome

:dntknw:

Sorry, but don't think he should be an option at all.

I agree, though, we were too narrow - Kelly drifted out wide at stages in the first-half in an assumed attempt to widen our play. First time I've seen that happen..

Aye he isn't the answer, but someone like him would give us that different option in widening the play and looking to beat the full-backs. Forte has done that well for us this season but LJ seems to prefer to keep him up top.

Quote from LJ;

"As a manager you try and guard against it and try and get them up for it and check everybody's legs and make sure they're alright and they should have been alright."

Problem was they weren't up for it from the start and some players looked decidedly leg weary.

Doesn't annoy me at all. Its a message board, stop taking it so seriously ffs! I apologise if i missed it but I have never read praise from you about Dean Holden? Just negative post insinuating that he was the reason for a dip in form.

I maintain a 3rd first team coach isn't needed, whether its him or anyone else, LJ and Tommy should be perfectly capable at this level of coaching the first team between them, Big Joe and Willie Donachie managed it at Premiership level and I don't remember Jimmy Frizzell having an assistant at all.

It's another of those current fads IMO, every club must have several coaches - including one for first team goalkeepers which is frankly ridiculous.

It reminds me of that other trend, NHS top heavy management.

Edited by BP1960

Quote from LJ;

"As a manager you try and guard against it and try and get them up for it and check everybody's legs and make sure they're alright and they should have been alright."

Problem was they weren't up for it from the start and some players looked decidedly leg weary.

What cr*p -

We played a team today that got dumped at home by Crewe last Saturday , long journey to Sheffield Tuesday to get a bigger dumping 4-1 .

Back home then a long journey back up north today - for an easy 1-0 win.

Were they leg weary !!!!!!!!!

Can hear their manager's talk on the bus back Tuesday night , don't worry lads , we are at BP Saturday.

You know the drill , score early , sit back and laugh at their attempts to score.

Job done ??

Have we found out anything today that we didn't already know?

Mainly we're a good side that's prone to the occasional abysmal performance. That's why we're not pushing for automatic. That's why the players aren't playing any higher. But the reality is we're still challenging for the play offs despite our inconsistency.

I get that everyone is frustrated but do we really need to trot out the same old moans and accusations after every bad defeat? It's as predictable as a :censored:e performance against a relegation threatened team on a reduced admission promotion day.

We're 6th. There is hope. It's not over yet.

. How was it justified? We are in the playoffs with one of the lowest budgets booing them does nothing for moral, nothing. We showed what we could do as fans last season when we were down near the relegation and we all got behind them and we stayed up. Same logic should apply when we are near the top of the league. Boo if you want but for me its pathetic.

How was it justified? Do I really have to answer that?

Ok, I'll humour you - because we were appalling and capitulated at home to a bottom 6 team yet again. Not only lost, but with a whimper. I sang and shouted all game - as did many others, but when the whistle went, it was only right that the players felt the wrath of the fans.

You want to pander to them? Fine, knock yourself out. That won't help either....

That kind of performance cannot be tolerated, 6th, 16th or top of the league....

Edited by Snookmeister

I went to the game feariing the worst as our record against the bottom clubs is appalling.

That team today were absolutely :censored:in clueless from start to finish and even the substitutions made no difference.

Another cheap offer for the fans and yet another abject performance. Just booked the train for Orient next week and really wish I hadn't .......supporting this club is a bleeding nightmare!!

Edited by oafc1955