Full Time: Oldham Athletic 0 Colchester 1

cannot say that I was too surprised by today's result, especially after hearing that they had conceded early. has anyone on here that was not at least half expecting it not heard the phrase "typical Latics" before? would it perhaps register better if I wrote it as #typicalLatics ?

so a question, given the squad and given that they went 1-0 down in the second minute what should plan B have been after they had not looked like scoring an hour or so into the match? swap one of the centre backs or defensive midfielders for a forward? push the full backs further forward to provide some width? maybe even bring on Kusunga as a target man? I am genuinely intrigued as to what options we think Johnson had to turn it around. can good coaching create extra options with the available players or are the players better focusing on what they are good at ... and on not conceding early goals?

was it perhaps today where the lack of options up front in the squad really showed? Forte, Philliskirk, Poleon, Winchester and now Murphy all seem very similar to me, all with pace but lacking in physical presence and preferring to receive the ball to feet and whilst facing the goal. do we need to recruit someone like Ibehre on loan to provide a true alternative option?

anyway at least Orient's 101st minute winner means that they won't be bottom when we visit Brisbane Rd next so there is at least a chance that Latics will avoid defeat. now if they can just beat Bradford and climb out of the bottom four beforehand ...

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cannot say that I was too surprised by today's result, especially after hearing that they had conceded early. has anyone on here that was not at least half expecting it not heard the phrase "typical Latics" before? would it perhaps register better if I wrote it as #typicalLatics ?

so a question, given the squad and given that they went 1-0 down in the second minute what should plan B have been after they had not looked like scoring an hour or so into the match? swap one of the centre backs or defensive midfielders for a forward? push the full backs further forward to provide some width? maybe even bring on Kusunga as a target man? I am genuinely intrigued as to what options we think Johnson had to turn it around. can good coaching create extra options with the available players or are the players better focusing on what they are good at ... and on not conceding early goals?

was it perhaps today where the lack of options up front in the squad really showed? Forte, Philliskirk, Poleon, Winchester and now Murphy all seem very similar to me, all with pace but lacking in physical presence and preferring to receive the ball to feet and whilst facing the goal. do we need to recruit someone like Ibehre on loan to provide a true alternative option?

anyway at least Orient's 101st minute winner means that they won't be bottom when we visit Brisbane Rd next so there is at least a chance that Latics will avoid defeat. now if they can just beat Bradford and climb out of the bottom four beforehand ...

The most frustrating think is we don't appear to try and change tactically.

It was obvious as soon as they scored so early how the next 88 min would pan out.

Their 6'7" CH probably had the easiest game of the season.

Why not bring Deing on at CH and shove Elokobi up front for at least the last 30 min and give there CH something to think about.

With a team like Colchester protecting a 1-0 lead sometimes its worth putting somebody like Elokobi up front , push others like Murphy , Turner etc with him into the box and just fire high balls in.

Chances are you will at least get a couple of knock downs for one of the others to latch onto.

Colchester were very well organised in getting 11 men back behind the ball, even good teams will struggle to break down set ups like that.

We haven't got the players to do it intelligently so do it by sheer numbers .

You will create far more chances like that than what we did yesterday.

OK i know we will be open to counter attacks but that's the risk you take.

I would sooner lose 2-0 than suffer that powder puff performance .

I went to the game feariing the worst as our record against the bottom clubs is appalling.

That team today were absolutely :censored:in clueless from start to finish and even the substitutions made no difference.

Another cheap offer for the fans and yet another abject performance. Just booked the train for Orient next week and really wish I hadn't .......supporting this club is a bleeding nightmare!!

Supporting this club is a nightmare at times, but this just adds to the fun!

The most frustrating aspect of the game yesterday was the pointless passing of the ball to no effect in a game in which we trailed.

The grand total of our slow and predictable attempts at rotating the origin of our attacks was to allow them to regain their shape and remove any attacking impetus.

The game was crying out for Mellis and Philliskirk to start linking the play between the lines yet the lack of movement or willingness to show for the ball was appalling at any level. Kelly was poor....but at least he wanted the ball!!!

We more than most teams set the tone for our performances early in games. If we start as poorly as we did yesterday we seldom recover. There was no tempo, rhythm or balance to our play at all!!

The goal was a shocker from our perspective. Elokobi has to clear his lines....doesn't..... We have to deal with the second ball....we don't......and we have to pick up the runner into the box....we barely looked like we knew he was even there!!!!!

A dire afternoon completely lacking in nous which is completely unacceptable for a team in our position. We must be better and show more desire and character than we did yesterday. The observations of all about our performances against the divisions poorest teams are spot on in the main!!

Oh and a final thing which actually predates LJ...... I have never seen a team take worse throw ins than Latics.

At one point yesterday we didn't have anybody willing to move within 20 yards of the poor bugger trying to take one in front of the main stand. Absolute pish and in keeping with the performance yesterday!!

I went to the game feariing the worst as our record against the bottom clubs is appalling.

That team today were absolutely :censored:in clueless from start to finish and even the substitutions made no difference.

Another cheap offer for the fans and yet another abject performance. Just booked the train for Orient next week and really wish I hadn't .......supporting this club is a bleeding nightmare!!

I have to agree - I hate supporting this f#%%*€g club!

Their keeper hàd an easy time.Where was the will to win?Utter garbage yesterday and anotherPR disaster . We are off to Orient and almost càn know the result ........Latics win 3_0!,Now that would be typical .That would make my birthday even better.☺

Can anyone fathom why Mellis played most of the time in his own half when he has the ability to create chances?

From what I saw there midfield dominated and pushed our lads deep to receive the ball hence the long balls. No excuse though as most could see this after 15mins but we didn't seem to change shape or formation.

It's what we did to Swindon in the 1st half on Tuesday and got us 2-0 in front.

Edited by super_blue

From what I saw there midfield dominated and pushed our lads deep to receive the ball hence the long balls. No excuse though as most could see this after 15mins but we didn't seem to change shape or formation.

It's what we did to Swindon in the 1st half on Tuesday and got us 2-0 in front.

Its the same pressing tactic employed by all four bottom teams who have taken the points from BP this season, press the ball, put the centrehalfs under pressure its simple, whats wrong with playing with width against these teams, at least pass it around them and make them work hard to get on the ball, the value of a player like Winchester in these games shouldnt be underestimated, he takes the pressure of the midfield with the ball at his feet and is a much tougher player for the opposition to deal with as he is unpredictable and can take a couple of players out of a phase with one bit of skill, playing against teams like Swindon is better for us as they came to play football and we match up quite well with these teams but surely between a coaching set up involving LJ, Wright, Holden and Tony P they have it in them to form a plan B when we go behind against the poor teams, other than against a ten men Crewe team we havent even looked like scoring when we have gone behind at home to the divisions lowest ranked teams.

Part of the problem is the reluctance to run at these teams. We end up trying to pass the ball through 5 or 6 players, resulting in passes being picked off. Winny came on on Saturday, ran at them a few times and scared the :censored: out of them.

Part of the problem is the reluctance to run at these teams. We end up trying to pass the ball through 5 or 6 players, resulting in passes being picked off. Winny came on on Saturday, ran at them a few times and scared the :censored: out of them.

Forte outpaces defenders when he's on the wing, but when played as a striker he's too advanced to do this, maybe a deeper lying central role could be tried with him. I wouldn't expect him to do much tracking back, but I'd sooner see opposition centre backs on the backfoot rather than what we saw on Saturday?

Edited by BP1960

True, For an hour we hoofed it up to Murphy who had no chance in the air, and after Elokobi went up front we stopped doing that, it defies belief.

Probably because it was Elokobi that did most of the hoofing?

A pretty decent stopper, but not the most gifted in terms of long pass acuracy.

Have left it a few days before posting to give me some perspective. I think the first thing I would say is that the result and performance was predictable based on past experience of followng Latics - an offer incentivised larger crowd and a on paper poor team regularly results in a poor frustrating performance and 0-1 defeat. Sometimes being able to see something happening doesn't make it easy to stop though...

LJ put out a team that looked good enough to win the game, and overall I thought the triple substitution was OK and seemed to have an impact for 5-10 minutes but then rather than the subs bringing the rest of the team up, the rest of the team brought the subs down. If the drive by Jones at the start of the second half had gone it - and it was a poor shot - then it might have panned out differently.

A number of players had poor games IMO - with a lot of simple passes going wrong and putting us under pressure or at least preventing us building up a head of steam. I thought the midfield of Jones, Philly, Mellis in particular were below par - and perhaps following the Tuesday game it was the midfield that put in the hardest shift?

Due to other teams results (and I am sure their fans are bemoaning what happened their every bit as much as we are here) it wasn't a disaster in terms of the league. Also, we have shown that this team is capable of putting in a performance of this standard (Barnsley recently was pretty much on par with Saturday for me) and then recovering to pick up points to keep us in contention.

We know we are not good enough (yet?) to dominate this league, but we are good enough on occassions to be pretty dangerous. Between now and the end of the season there will be days like Swindon, Scunthorpe and Notts County....and there will be days like Colchester and Barnsley. What keeps it exciting is that the same can be said for most of the teams around us, and even if we do get into 6th spot (or better) we will have many ups and downs to go and it will be bloody tight right down to the wire.

If we don't and we fall away because we start losing more than we win and end up in midtable, then it will be a sad end to a promising season. But we are still on for our highest points total in 5+ seasons which has to be a sign of improvement. If you look at our gates and likely funds, and then look at the teams above us and around us - even that would be OK.

Exactly. Last few minutes we started running at them, even Elokobi, and made more progress then than in the rest of the match altogether.

Winchester was just as bad as the rest of them. talk about selective memory! We had no width that was the main problem and it was the problem for all 90 minutes

We don't run at teams because the coaching manual brainwashed into people taking coaching badges tells them to stop payers running at the opposition because they might lose the ball. Players have to receive the ball and pass it on like a hot potato, with either one or two touches. To play that kind of football players have to always be moving to spaces to receive the ball when faced with packed defences.