experienced manager vs 1st job

even though i dont think he will go i thought i'd canvas opinion on any replacements being either experienced or, like johnson, given their first go.

for me, i dont think we'd get any better than him for a first timer, as i think he's doing a good job with our budget restraints. i think we'd have a better chance of success with an experienced manager who knows the league and maybe has experience of putting together teams on low budgets/short term deals and getting the best from them.

you can never guarantee anyone will work out but i'd be happy with johnson snr or danny wilson appointment if worse came to the worse. if not those two, someone who has managed 3/4 teams before, including at this level and not just in the naff bottom division.

thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Experience = experience of failure for someone to be considering us, and what we can afford.

LJ was the right tactic of appointment. Modern coaching qualifications and up-to-date techniques, and young and hungry.

It worked. We stick with the model - like Swansea and Saints etc

We have to. To survive financially we have to have a manager that can train and improve players - not just attract them because of their name but then not be able to improve them (Dickov), and then sell them on and replace with a pre-planned other whilst improving the core of quality and team ethic.

I'm not saying an older manager can't go that but ferocious chewing of gum and a bollocking now and then won't cut it at L1 level (the manager being at that level for a reason).

The Prem and Championship clubs continuing to appoint unproven trendy foreign names leaves a door open for the liked of us to get proper qualified (LJ the most qualified manager Corney's appointed) coaches desperate to get into the game.

Have you seen the football played by Danny Wilson's teams, Barnsley and Sheff U...?! And look at the league table, with the fifth highest budget this season!

Wilson is yesterday's man, no thanks.

I would go all out for Keith Hill if there was interest, be a great fit for us.

More than happy to go down the inexperienced route again though.

All puns intended by the way...

I agree on Keith Hill. Word on the street was he applied for the job when Dickov got it but made it clear how he wanted things to work and was dismissed as being too demanding. I suspect, in actual fact, it was more that he would have cost a lot more than Dickov but I can't see Corney taking to someone who's clearly not a 'yes man'.

Why the hell would keith hill want to leave Rochdale for us..........?

People need to realise what we are, we are not a huge club compared to dale. He is settled doing well and been bitten by moving on. He will also be on a decent % of his players transfer profit which will pocket him decent cash every season.

At dale he has a young side that produces season after season why would he make a sideways move?

Why the hell would keith hill want to leave Rochdale for us..........?

People need to realise what we are, we are not a huge club compared to dale. He is settled doing well and been bitten by moving on. He will also be on a decent % of his players transfer profit which will pocket him decent cash every season.

At dale he has a young side that produces season after season why would he make a sideways move?

Granted, we might not be Real Madrid but, :censored: me, we're a much better option than Rochdale...

Keith Hill was one of my preferred targets when LJ was appointed, alongside Sean Dyche. Now, though, we'd have no chance. Contract 'til summer 2018, so we'd have to pay a lot for his services, and I don't think he'd leave Rochdale for us. We may have the potential to be a far bigger club than Dale, but at the moment we simply aren't enough of an attraction to leave a stable job for. Our budget may be slightly bigger and same with our crowds but it doesn't equate to much in the context of this league.

At this stage in the season a new manager wouldn't be disastrous in my opinion; it'd show a real lack of loyalty by LJ and I'd hate him for it, but who knows the effect it could have on the team before the playoffs? They do say that the first 10 games of a new manager's reign tend to boost form, then it generally goes downhill from there. The real thing I'd miss about LJ is that he seems to be building something here beyond just this season, and we'd still have quite a lot of our best players contracted for the next, so we genuinely have possible continuity if we can again resist selling a host of first teamers and a real chance to improve under his leadership, while he also improves.

I'd have to have a look at the managers out there and available before saying names, but it doesn't leave us much time to choose the right candidate, if he does go now. EDIT: Throwing names out there: Nigel Worthington, Craig Hignett, Uwe Rosler (very much doubt he'd come here), James Beattie, Sean O'Driscoll, Adam Lockwood, Paul Murray.

Edited by NewBlue

A replacement would be found from within the club.

Agree with this, if they let him go it will probably be because the compenation money is wanted to help pay for the stand. In which case they won't want to spend it on someoene from the outside who might want to bring his own staff with him.

We need a consistent approach someone who does things similar to LJ. What we don't want is another massive change in philosophy because will take another 2 years to implement.

LJ has built some foundations if he goes if want someone to build on those foundations not someone who would rip it up and start again. That's why I wouldn't go for Keith hill as he would want it all his way which I think will be different to what we have now and will take longer for success.

Why? Surely we are a step up from Rochdale. We spent 15 years or so at Championship level and 3 in the top flight, they've never been anywhere near that.

What does that count for?

If I was a manager I'd be thinking 'a fanbase still living in the past with expectations far exceeding reality. Why put myself under unnecessary pressure there to perform miracles when I could have an appreciative support at a club on the same level'

Edited by NewBlue