New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If an ex player is coaching and ultimately wants to get into management he will leave for the first job he can get and nobody at Sunderland would begrudge him that, nor should they.

Of all the things that are wrong with the idea of this happening that isn't one of them...

I'm sure knowone does begrudge him at Sunderland but from our point of view why does he believe he has achieved enough in 4 months at his job at Sunderland to now believe he is ready to step up to be a league 1 manager?

Remember years ago when nobody could recruit anybody because there was no social media to scope out there personal profile and gauge their character?

If only there were such things as face to face interviews, eh?!

Whatever happened to character references, do employers still insist on them?

Remember years ago when nobody could recruit anybody because there was no social media to scope out there personal profile and gauge their character?

If only there were such things as face to face interviews, eh?!

Point is that social media displays people's true qualities and character without the pretence of conforming to work environments. However over time it rises to the top but you could be stuck with a divisive individual and spend time and money to weed them out. With social media nowadays it gives you insight prior to recruiting. That's one positive social media has delivered versus all the negatives.

Whatever.... sounds like a really nice individual who I want as the figurehead of my club and leading youngsters(!)

Whatever happened to character references, do employers still insist on them?

Not really as these are more likely to be fabricated. Past employment references are more a guide... and I even ask why past employers aren't being used as references... and ask permission from the candidate to contact them.

I remember interviewing someone who had an immaculate CV, which I later discovered had been written by a CV writing service, and was leading candidate. It's only when I checked his Facebook, Twitter etc that I discovered that he had certain political and social views that would have been divisive, inflammatory and would have ultimately wrecked the team mentality that we had spent years developing.

We didn't recruit them

Is that even legal?

Point is that social media displays people's true qualities and character without the pretence of conforming to work environments.

It doesn't. Nowhere near. You can't gauge someone's qualities by a picture they've shared to their timeline, nor can you gauge their character. You need to connect with a person on a face to face basis to do that. How you construe text on a screen when reading a social media profile is subjective based on your own prejudices and standards. How someone posts a status is often not meant to be interpreted the way the reader does.

Some people don't take social media seriously at all (and rightly so), it has zero relevance to how well they work, their conduct at work and the integrity of their character.

I can't help but worry our luck is going to run out.

Dickov nearly saw us down, Johnson nearly took us down then did an average job in a poor league this season.

This guy is definitely worse than the last two options on paper.

Totally agree

To be fair I've just had a quick look over corneys Twitter, he's but some dodgy comments on there himself, feel me laughing at Blackpool has come back to bite me!

Corney isn't on Twitter. There are a few parody accounts.

This braincell is also following one of them.

It doesn't. Nowhere near. You can't gauge someone's qualities by a picture they've shared to their timeline, nor can you gauge their character. You need to connect with a person on a face to face basis to do that. How you construe text on a screen when reading a social media profile is subjective based on your own prejudices and standards. How someone posts a status is often not meant to be interpreted the way the reader does.

Some people don't take social media seriously at all (and rightly so), it has zero relevance to how well they work, their conduct at work and the integrity of their character.

I take it you aren't directly responsible for a business reputation? Your views are pretty nieve...

If someone has a picture of them drunk or swearing on social media then these are sociably accepted behaviours. If someone has beyond accepted societal views it sparks alarm bells and could bring any company directly or indirectly into disrepute.

Many of Kelly's social media content is of the latter an could be offensive to not only OAFC fans and staff but people within the game that he aims to promote.

There's a difference between posts that mock but harmless but political views, sexist comments etc aren't really banter?!

What if a youth player doesn't share the same view, is a different religion or supports Glasgow Rangers? To take the time to post such comments on social media confirms a deep-rooters view and opinion. Would love to proved wrong but unfortunately intolerance still exists....

Not really as these are more likely to be fabricated. Past employment references are more a guide... and I even ask why past employers aren't being used as references... and ask permission from the candidate to contact them.

In my days a reference from your doctor, magistrate or someone of similar standing was a necessity, much the same as a passport application

I take it you aren't directly responsible for a business reputation? Your views are pretty nieve...

If someone has a picture of them drunk or swearing on social media then these are sociably accepted behaviours. If someone has beyond accepted societal views it sparks alarm bells and could bring any company directly or indirectly into disrepute.

Many of Kelly's social media content is of the latter an could be offensive to not only OAFC fans and staff but people within the game that he aims to promote.

You call me naive and when you hold your standards to what is considered "socially acceptable"? Seriously?

It used to be socially acceptable to burn young women suspected of being witches, it used to be socially acceptable to keep black people as slaves, it IS socially acceptable to fund war, child abuse, and to partake in mass drug abuse every weekend. It's socially acceptable to spend hundreds of pounds indulging in consumerism to buy a gadget which a 10 year old kid in India gets paid 5p a day to make.

Don't call me naive when you've been bullshîtted into holding your own standards to what is deemed as "socially acceptable". At least my thoughts and views are my own! I've not been told what to believe.

And I'm the naive one! :lol:

In my days a reference from your doctor, magistrate or someone of similar standing was a necessity, much the same as a passport application

As the applicant's doctor, I can wholeheartedly say that he is a stand up guy. Except in the bedroom, but I've put him on tablets for that.

The more I look at his twitter the more I worry.

Very unwise follows and photos. Clearly likes a dig at the English, no doubt under the guise of 'bants'. Sinn Fein supporter. Likes the female form and loves a slightly sexist joke, makes him appear a little disrespectful towards women.

Now none of this actually matters of course, its his business... UNLESS you are about to be unveiled as a manager of a lower league family focussed club.

Clean up your twitter you idiot before the press have a field day!!

Surely PR, Corney and marketing checked out his social media. Its basics these days. Can anyone with Simon's email address bring this to his attention? Doesn't bode well.

They were happy to employ a convicted rapist. Kelly's Twitter account would have sailed through the due diligence process at Oldham "We do things proper round here" Athletic.

They were happy to employ a convicted rapist. Kelly's Twitter account would have sailed through the due diligence process at Oldham "We do things proper round here" Athletic.

Change the record Stevie................................we know we tried to sign Ched Evans. We know you and more than half the fan base didn't like it. We know you along with quite a large number dislike Barry, the club officials but do we need this same old same old bringing into it?

Lets discuss the thread question please.

Is Kelly the right man? If he's appointed should Tics walk away? or is it the excuse what some have been looking for/

You call me naive and when you hold your standards to what is considered "socially acceptable"? Seriously?

It used to be socially acceptable to burn young women suspected of being witches, it used to be socially acceptable to keep black people as slaves, it IS socially acceptable to fund war, child abuse, and to partake in mass drug abuse every weekend. It's socially acceptable to spend hundreds of pounds indulging in consumerism to buy a gadget which a 10 year old kid in India gets paid 5p a day to make.

Don't call me naive when you've been bullshîtted into holding your own standards to what is deemed as "socially acceptable". At least my thoughts and views are my own! I've not been told what to believe.

And I'm the naive one! :lol:

Ha Welcome to the real world...yes all of the above are true and it is all a matter of judgement at that time. Yes you are naive to believe that your own views shouldn't/don't come into consideration for things like job interviews. Your view on reality is somewhat skewed.

When there is an element of choice in a situation it's fair to say that things like personal characteristics should come into the equation.

So for example if John who was great at his job had a glowing CV but attended EDL marches in his spare time was up against Phil who had less job experience and a poor CV but was a stamp collector in his spare time the reality is you would hire Paul.

Edited by Blue_Guru

Change the record Stevie................................we know we tried to sign Ched Evans. We know you and more than half the fan base didn't like it. We know you along with quite a large number dislike Barry, the club officials but do we need this same old same old bringing into it?

Lets discuss the thread question please.

Is Kelly the right man? If he's appointed should Tics walk away? or is it the excuse what some have been looking for/

There was reference to us being a family-focused club, which, on the basis of the Ched Evans nonsense, I don't buy. It remains relevant in how I see the BoD's mindset.

Is the Kelly the right man? He may turn out to be but I think the chances are more remote than with pretty much any of the other candidates mentioned over the past few months. Should fans walk away? Their choice; it's another action by the club that's likely to erode people's interest. As for looking for an excuse? People will only be seeking an excuse if they're losing interest anyway and the club needs to consider why that be.

There was reference to us being a family-focused club, which, on the basis of the Ched Evans nonsense, I don't buy. It remains relevant in how I see the BoD's mindset.

Is the Kelly the right man? He may turn out to be but I think the chances are more remote than with pretty much any of the other candidates mentioned over the past few months. Should fans walk away? Their choice; it's another action by the club that's likely to erode people's interest. As for looking for an excuse? People will only be seeking an excuse if they're losing interest anyway and the club needs to consider why that be.

You'll make a UKIP politician yet Stevie, they always find a reference to immigration on every question.

I for one know nothing about Kelly.

I for one know due to experience, Chairman, players, managers come and go. Some I've applauded their leaving other's I've mourned. Also down the years there have been matches I've choose to miss ( even with my ST) because I'd lost the will. I'd lost the will not because of an inward coming manager.

Edited by Lags