New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tony Carss would be my choice for the job. A regular at latics and knows the club very well, with a very similar CV to LJ, which Corney likes. Carss has lots of coaching badges and whether you value you them or not no fool can acquire them. He has done a great job at academy/youth level winning cups and reserve team leagues. I really think he would fit the bill. We have a strong tradition at Latics of giving our youth a chance and watching Tony deliver coaching sessions many a time I know he would definitely adopt this policy.

His nickname whilst at Latics was Duracell, and watching his teams play all of his players never stop running for him!

Duracells blue white army!

I'm off to the bookies!

Having a quick look at Plymouth's forum they seem pretty liberal about Sheridan moving on. They are probably underachieving, being just below the play offs at a club that size in that league. Then again you could look at it as when he took over they were in a relegation scrap and the next year they were top half. Decent managerial record, although he has got a relegation from this league on his record since his time at Latics.

Tony Carss would be my choice for the job. A regular at latics and knows the club very well, with a very similar CV to LJ, which Corney likes. Carss has lots of coaching badges and whether you value you them or not no fool can acquire them. He has done a great job at academy/youth level winning cups and reserve team leagues. I really think he would fit the bill. We have a strong tradition at Latics of giving our youth a chance and watching Tony deliver coaching sessions many a time I know he would definitely adopt this policy.

His nickname whilst at Latics was Duracell, and watching his teams play all of his players never stop running for him!

I'm off to the bookies!

I wouldn't.

I'd imagine the interview last night and names mentioned would keep / move names up the bookies lists.

Having listened to the catch-up (only get the first hour not the extension) I didn't get a strong feeling about any of the names mentioned except I think if Scholes applied he'd get it (but got the feeling he wouldn't).

Sounded as though SC et al will do a genuine recruitment job and intervew a short list and will appoint whoever impresses them the most from that process. Which is far better than picking people based on thier name and a quick review of their history i.e. what we all do.

But for me I am always dubious about people going back ie Dowie / Sheridan. Despite being two of our more successful managers in this division - Dowie was supported by Moore and had crowds of 6500, and even Sheridan had crowds of 5,500 to 6,000, so they would be coming back to a different finacial reality.

I know people are saying that taking our time is giving up on this season, but being honest whilst we have an outside chance of making 6th it isn't that likely based on the form of the last few months and some of the games coming up.

If you rush an appointment then there is a could chance you don't get the best person. If you put a temporary stop gap in then you are likely to get someone who is desperate / fails and then we have another period of uncertainty and disruption.

Not ideal, but I think take time, do a thorough process and in all likelyhood finish where we would have finished under LJ or another other short-term manager......outside the play-offs**

** I reserve the rights to get all Play-off excited if we win tonight

But for me I am always dubious about people going back ie Dowie / Sheridan. Despite being two of our more successful managers in this division - Dowie was supported by Moore and had crowds of 6500, and even Sheridan had crowds of 5,500 to 6,000

At least partly down to the football we played at times under him....

George Boateng was on Talk Sport a while ago and came across really well.

He's been managing in Malaysia for the last year or so.

His hated Oldham Athletic appointing a black manager would make Ollie Holt's head explode. I reckon he would finally get sectioned. It'd be great.

His hated Oldham Athletic appointing a black manager would make Ollie Holt's head explode. I reckon he would finally get sectioned. It'd be great.

Not sure I follow that first sentance.

We should be looking to appoint the best person for the job based on whatever selection criteria the board choose.....irrespective of any other irrelevent criteria. The Brian Deane article looks interesting - wonder if has applied?

I'm off to the bookies!

I thought Tony Carrs concentrated on a career in the media. Where has he worked for the past 10 years coach wise?