New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep hearing Graham Rix's name mentioned by someone who works at Latics. I don't know if it's with view to being this guys assistant. It is also worth noting that he nearly became LJ's assistant during the summer of 2013, but there were disagreements at board level due to not being allowed alone with the youth team. I assume that will still be the case, but he keeps getting mentioned...

Come on everyone; did we honestly think it would be Dowie?

It's not the salary Dowie would need but Dowie's ambition versus that of Corney. The budget would be well below what Dowie believes is needed to compete, the assurances around coaching/fitness outside of TP structure probably not there.

Dowie's reluctance or avoidance to comment created a small glimmer of hope that Corney (more so Blitz) committing to what Dowie needed. When pushed, Dowie stated to the local press what we already knew but there was still that glimmer that he could still be on.

However Kelly sounds more like the candidate willing to work to the budget available. Could be another Johnson but if he exceeds expectation on a shoestring then he'll have his head turned and we're back to square one.

We're in a vicious circle and the owners have a chance now to break it - an increased budget derived from the income via the new stand and Blitz hopefully renewed interest + Dowie's determination for fitness, mental strength and success would be the perfect match at the right time.

Wasn't reading Twitter when first to reveal Holden getting the job until end of the season on here, or that Mark Yates was on the short list, or the first to say Blitz was coming over a day or two before he did, or that Dowie really wanted the job and was instigating talks with the club...

But sorry. Don't worry I don't mind. I'll stop being a source tart :-)

Didn't you say you had permission to reveal your sauce when its finally announced?

I keep hearing Graham Rix's name mentioned by someone who works at Latics. I don't know if it's with view to being this guys assistant. It is also worth noting that he nearly became LJ's assistant during the summer of 2013, but there were disagreements at board level due to not being allowed alone with the youth team. I assume that will still be the case, but he keeps getting mentioned...

Maybe Graham Rix was mentioned when Ched Evans and due diligence were being discussed.

Do we really need any more shenanigans?

Darren Kelly @Darren6kelly

Boxer. YDP Academy Coach. Ex-Professional Footballer. Uefa Pro-Licence holder. FA Youth Award. 100% Irish, Beir Bua

York-Doire/Derry-Eire/Ireland
For what it's worth Kelly is now following Dean Holden on Twitter and being followed by Matt Chambers and Jenny Warburton.
Feels very much like the prelude to the Lee Johnson appointment.
AomIwL1e.jpeg
Edited by Mark59

Would kill off any of the optimism I've been feeling over the last week this. Corneys missing a trick here, he can appoint somebody half decent and give a further boost to season ticket sales.

I thought the new stand & sports direct sponsorship deal was to allow us to compete with the bigger clubs in the league?

I think I'd rather have Mark :censored:ing Yates.

I think that is the plan Gaz. Keep all whelms as low as possible, then sneak in the wine lodge as the saviour at the 11th hour Edited by L1onheartNew

Your post is spot on Midsblue.

If all these possible names for next manager are correct I shall not be renewing my season ticket.

I have supported OAFC for 49 years, have held a season ticket for 30 years, sponsored Mike Milligans kit and Nick Henrys kit, worked UNPAID in my professional capacity for the club and still love the club. However I cannot cope with the emotional upset caused by a club devoid of ambition. Corney should realise that by appointing Dowie the season ticket sale would rise exponentially, giving more income to subsidise the extra Dowie requires. Bigger crowds would make the club more attractive to buy. I am not a fan who moans about SC because his management has ensured we are still a good club ( consider Tranmere and Stockport), however the new stand taps into an optimistic next few years but by appointing an untried manager all could be lost. Dowie exhibits the same love and enthusiasm as we fans feel. He would raise our profile in the media and hence our club "saleability" if that's what Corney wants.

The success of a business is often to invest at the right time and now is that time. If the new manager is a rookie he will either bring some success and be poached or will fail and blow away all this new enthusiasm.

I say give Dowie the job for 3 years. Simon please look outside the box and let your heart join the rest of us. If not I and many others will no longer be buying season tickets.

If all these possible names for next manager are correct I shall not be renewing my season ticket.

I have supported OAFC for 49 years, have held a season ticket for 30 years, sponsored Mike Milligans kit and Nick Henrys kit, worked UNPAID in my professional capacity for the club and still love the club. However I cannot cope with the emotional upset caused by a club devoid of ambition. Corney should realise that by appointing Dowie the season ticket sale would rise exponentially, giving more income to subsidise the extra Dowie requires. Bigger crowds would make the club more attractive to buy. I am not a fan who moans about SC because his management has ensured we are still a good club ( consider Tranmere and Stockport), however the new stand taps into an optimistic next few years but by appointing an untried manager all could be lost. Dowie exhibits the same love and enthusiasm as we fans feel. He would raise our profile in the media and hence our club "saleability" if that's what Corney wants.

The success of a business is often to invest at the right time and now is that time. If the new manager is a rookie he will either bring some success and be poached or will fail and blow away all this new enthusiasm.

I say give Dowie the job for 3 years. Simon please look outside the box and let your heart join the rest of us. If not I and many others will no longer be buying season tickets.

Your money. Your choice.

Why didn't you bugger off when they appointed Joe Royle?

Just wondering.

We can't just "give Dowie the job." Dowie hasn't really said he wants the job, and in any event he wants a top 6 budget. We have a bottom 7 attendance.

Corney can't because of FFP, nor should he, break the budget just for Dowie.

^^^ This!

Not sure ST sales would increase exponentially but agree with sentiment of post completely.

If anybody has his email then please email to SC!

I messaged a friend of one of the directors, asking him after seeing Keegan's tweet from earlier. Just backing it up - not trying to lord it as an exclusive.

The same friend who's director mate was over at Dowie's for dinner the other night?!

Deal "all tied up" and all that !!!

Criteria of getting the managers job at Oldham Athletic:

Say you'll keep the club in league one

Talk a load of bollocks about training techniques

Give a good interview

Ask for a really low wage

Close but no cigar.

Criterion: are you offering the most cash for the job? (If you are, you'll impress at interview, badges and bull:censored: notwithstanding. If you're not, you'll impress at interview but, unfortunately, you'll be the wrong appointment at this time etc.)

Ask yourself this: if the word wasn't out about Oldham's managerial recruitment strategy, how would these people ever appear on anyone's radar?

Indeed now is the time to invest and build momentum with the new stand, as they will not be a better opportunity to do this.

Fully understand previously all finances had to go into the building of the new stand, new stand, new dawn & fresh hope :drinking66:

Get a man in whose appointment going to sell an additional 500 season tickets bringing in extra revenue of around 140k, pay him 120k a year rather than appointing a rookie for 60k and then pocket the additional season ticket revenue. Not rocket science, is it?