New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's been some crap put on here about my source says this and that not naming any names but all this seems believable when you consider we're now supposedly ready to appoint someone who manages a kids team at Sunderland after a damn average career as a player!! This should have been the time for Oafc to really move forward but this smells of cheapness even worse than Holden!!

I couldn't give a toss who the next manager is, I've already paid my £350 for the season ticket and am looking forward to August to start again on the long drawn out trudge to somewhere between 16th and 10th. Any one holding out for someone they have heard of or would be happy with is deluding themselves.

Corney is a risk taker, he'll take a punt on a gamble that might pay off, might not but to expect otherwise is the path to disappointment.

We appointed Johnson and Dickov with no experience and they were both promising, but they both took at least a season of mediocrity to get going. If we appointed this fella we'd be giving him next season to learn the job and hopefully stay up.

Everything positive the club are trying to generate about the new stand would be pointless if they appointed him. Dowie wouldn't be perfect but at least he'd know what he was doing. If they're going to go for inexperience, they may as well give the job to Holden, who's had a few months head start of being mediocre.

Who knows what the circumstances are, maybe he's got a couple of big name managers speaking up for him or maybe as he's been kocking around the youth set up's of a couple of clubs Tony P speaks highly of him.

Lets not dismiss him because he's not some has been more interested in reporting on matches instead of managing in them

This guy is coaching Under nines

8 year olds and 9 year olds.... You're telling me out of the best 70 applicants we have ever received HE is the man to take the club forward? Woop

Maybe I should have applied

I'm coaching under 9's

I'm impressed you made the effort.

Having another look, judging it with your classifications there are, of the 36 over 11 years:

10 Big name non-managers

10 Small time managers

12 Big time managers

4 Small time coaches

Obviously that's my discretion when it comes to grading them on subjective stuff like small time/big time, and doesn't account for the amount of managers in each category that have been appointed in the division. Although that doesn't bode well for Darren Kelly or this strategy of Corney's...

Edited by NewBlue

Let's be honest. Say Kelly gets the job. It'd only take a win in one of the opening matches before most of us are crowning him the messiah and including them in their parade of biff mags fanned out on the floor anyway.

A win in a pre season friendly would excite most.

I'm all for giving young coaches a chance and he may be the real deal in time but we needed a real buzz appointment to go with the new stand and the inevitable increase in season tickets that a Dowie type would have given us.

This was a massive opportunity to boost an ever decreasing fan base at a time when there was so much positivity surrounding the club.

I'm pretty sure if this is the route taken season ticket sales will drop still further which with FFP will severely impact our ability to compete with yet another reduction in our budget.

Edited by oafc1955

Let's be honest. Say Kelly gets the job. It'd only take a win in one of the opening matches before most of us are crowning him the messiah and including them in their parade of biff mags fanned out on the floor anyway.

The hardcore will get behind the new manager whoever he is (I've already renewed my season ticket). But we need to attract the stayaways back to move forward.

For that to happen an inspiring managerial appointment to go with the new stand would really have helped.

I've seen people defending the appointment by saying Joe Royle had no experience at all when he was appointed, but I think they're missing the point completely.

There would be quite a buzz around the place if we were to appoint a recently retired England international now rather than an under 9's coach no one had heard of.

I think history has proven the only thing that gets the stay away fans back is good, solid success. A genuine promotion push. And history has also proven that clubs with our sort of budget rarely make that impact. A quick glance at the league table suggests as much with 5-6 clubs boasting budgets that pretty much dwarf ours.

I guess what I'm saying, is it doesn't matter too much who is in charge right now as the infrastructure isn't in place for us to be one of those clubs. Any talented manager or 'big name' will see that initial spark of success duely snuffed out by a couple of key injuries, players sold to service our debt and the annual home defeat to a relegation contender or two. We seem to be early on our journey for the framework to be there but can't see us seeing any real benefit for a couple of seasons at least. And even with the new stand in place; will it provide enough for our playing budget to improve significantly?

I think history has proven the only thing that gets the stay away fans back is good, solid success. A genuine promotion push. And history has also proven that clubs with our sort of budget rarely make that impact. A quick glance at the league table suggests as much with 5-6 clubs boasting budgets that pretty much dwarf ours.

I guess what I'm saying, is it doesn't matter too much who is in charge right now as the infrastructure isn't in place for us to be one of those clubs. Any talented manager or 'big name' will see that initial spark of success duely snuffed out by a couple of key injuries, players sold to service our debt and the annual home defeat to a relegation contender or two. We seem to be early on our journey for the framework to be there but can't see us seeing any real benefit for a couple of seasons at least. And even with the new stand in place; will it provide enough for our playing budget to improve significantly?

The best way to service any debt is to trade on a profitable basis. I dont expect our wages budget to be anywhere near that of Bristol City and Preston or even Sheff United's but if trading profits are being taken out of the club it has 2 repercussions;1. FFP Regulations 2. More sales of players to cover losses!

We urgently need a manager to identify targets and motivate the players or we will not even be competing with the likes of Crawley and Walsall etc.

Over to you Mr Corney, get it right this time! It does matter, it matters a lot and it's probably your last chance

Edited by ChaddySmoker