New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that we are stil far from the point where we can give a potential 'big name' manager the budget he demands so taking the job wouldn't have a large risk of damaging their reputation.

Hence Dowie saying things have to be right, and Scholes saying the time is not right.

So... All we have to offer is the opportunity for a manager to establish their name at the point they have nothing to lose.

So we've had Dickov and Johnson.

I expect we're two managers away from having one that would get us jumping up and down excited.

Hope I'm completely wrong though.

History proves nothing, football history proves even less. You may disagree but we could appoint Mourinho and it would have zero effect on season ticket sales, you can't even give Latics matches away for £2-£5 at the minute. The Bovis brigade are gone and are enjoying Etihad, Old Trafford or Sky Sofa.

We need a manager that can steer us through the next few seasons, the marketing department are where the key signings and appointments need to be made, get the reddies into the club from the boxes, conferences and whatever can be done in the new stand and we will slowly see our playing budget increase.

Until that budget increases on paper within FFP guidelines we are going backwards with treading water the best outcome. There is no point appointing an 'exciting manager' who will demand we increase the playing budget as we can't. We can cut the youth budget and divert funds to the 1st team squad but I think that is a false economy.

Appoint a manager who can work with no money, bring the kids through, build a team, use powerpoint, diets, minimal gains, the new fangled stuff so hated by many (Hi BP1960!) and work within the game today as it is different. Billy Hardarcre and Bob Steelsmith are long gone, Fabian Carnegie & Dwayne Thomson are who play the game today, they have agents before they have left the youth team, over-inflated senses of self worth and due to the gap between the average wage and what they can earn :censored: out of 50-50s towards the end of their contract (if not the start too) have been rushed through the development setup as if they are good then clubs can not afford not to play them so they are more often than not lacking many basic skills and do their learning in public and make mistakes in league games rather than the Pontins Central League.

Supplement the youth with experience and players on the way down to stretch the budget, implement a philosophy from the top to the bottom of the club and wait, if we experience success in that time then it is likely that we will lose the manager and several players but by having a philosophy and structure within the club we should be able to weather the storm if we appoint along the same strategic plan.

Bournemouth, Brentford and other clubs have had recent success but have only achieved success by being bankrolled by sugar daddies following a plan. The blood and thunder good footballing man dinosaurs day is over, it may come back in a few years when the arse falls out of the football market or it might not. Powerpoint is here to stay, media trained platitudes, seeing the positives, praising in public, criticize in private is where it is at. No wingers, compact middles, multicoloured boots, percentages, data driven decision making and keepers staying on their line are as much a part of football today as corner flags.

What has us giving a household name, hugely respected ex England international his first job 30 odd years ago got to do with any of what he said?

oh come on. It was WW3 when he was appointed, Thousands did not go. You'll be claiming next it'll be alright give it time.

The general reason stay aways don't come IMO is two fold...they aren't willing to part with season ticket money as it is too big an outlay not knowing what the season will hold.

They may turn up for the odd game early doors in the season but if it looks like the same old of the past 10 years they will probably stay at home after that.

Maximising the feel good factor now and getting people to part with cash up front is the best chance of cashing in this year. The only way they could do that is a big name manager.

Edited by Blue_Guru

It's now or never for me.......Dowie whilst no guarantee ticks the boxes and will add numbers to the gate initially.....the rest is up to him and the team he puts out.

My situation is a good example......if I push the boat out I can afford a box next season and I really want to do it BUT.........I do think why should I push the boat out if SC isn't going to do the same? This mindset changes quite frequently throughout the day though! Heart over Head is never a good mix with business.

For those who wish to jump on the keyboard and accuse me of not being a 'true' fan..........I will come what may be renewing my ST

It's now or never for me.......Dowie whilst no guarantee ticks the boxes and will add numbers to the gate initially.....the rest is up to him and the team he puts out.

My situation is a good example......if I push the boat out I can afford a box next season and I really want to do it BUT.........I do think why should I push the boat out if SC isn't going to do the same? This mindset changes quite frequently throughout the day though! Heart over Head is never a good mix with business.

For those who wish to jump on the keyboard and accuse me of not being a 'true' fan..........I will come what may be renewing my ST

Spot on pal

Everyone should have a chance. It would not be right to write him off, if he is the person appointed. But as others have said, we had " 70-100" of the best applicants ever. It's not even clear if its the Youths or under 9's.

It is no mean feat to get a UEFA Pro Licence either, but not impossible. He's also done a bit of coaching at York whilst playing for Scarborough.

Kelly also has never really stayed around anywhere, playing wise apart from as a Youth player at Derry he has never stayed longer than 2 seasons.

For me most pertinently he has been in the Sunderland role since January, little over 3 months and that is far too soon to judge anyone's skills, much less appoint someone on the back of that experience.

Time will tell if he is the manager role, but the reaction of Matt chambers and Mike Keegan suggests it could be.

Not exactly an inspired choice, personally I'd prefer Dean Holden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Kelly

http://www.derrynow.com/news/ex-derry-city-star-darren-kelly-takes-up-coaching-role-at-sunderland/8291

Edited by singe

Bournemouth, Brentford and other clubs have had recent success but have only achieved success by being bankrolled by sugar daddies following a plan. The blood and thunder good footballing man dinosaurs day is over, it may come back in a few years when the arse falls out of the football market or it might not. Powerpoint is here to stay, media trained platitudes, seeing the positives, praising in public, criticize in private is where it is at. No wingers, compact middles, multicoloured boots, percentages, data driven decision making and keepers staying on their line are as much a part of football today as corner flags.

If I'm bored at a meeting at work I play Buzz Word Bingo!!

http://www.bollocksphere.co.uk/Assets/Resources/BuzzwordBingo-1.pdf