New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"What I would want is the chance to be competitive in the division"

Well the core of the squad is under contract and that squad had us in or around the play offs for the bulk of the season. The standard of the division should be pretty similar to this season really.

So, as it stands now we've got a chance of being competitive in the division.

So basically

Backs up everything Midsblue said about the playing & training budget etc.

How many extra season tickets would Dowie sell & would the increase pay for what he wants?

My post was all based on a chat but not a recent chat...so the Chron exclusive was nothing new. I was hoping they had an exclusive that he was signing...

Anybody who knows or has chatted to Dowie knows exactly what his position is;

1. He doesn't have to take a managers job as he earns decent money already

2. He wants to come back purely because he loves the club, the people, the fans

3. However, he'll have to give up a lot of his other business interests because he wants to be 100% committed

4. He sees the new stand as a springboard for cementing us as a Championship team but wants the budget to strengthen

5. Massive advocate of youth players and hugely supportive of TP - sees that as fundamental and can entice more decent players with our coaching set-up

6. Wants a 3-year deal because he sees this as a long-term project - stadium redevelopment, youth system delivering 4-5 players per season into the first team squad and resale value

He hasn't met with Corney according to Chron but he speaks to him loads and I mean loads!

...but as the article says, they've not met in 8 weeks in which time Corney has been over here a few times. If it was going to happen, or even if there was any will to try and make a deal, wouldn't they have met up?

Edited by Twisbrogan

Just watched DH's press conference on Latics Player. He seemed remarkably upbeat in comparison to his demeanour last week when he was very agitated and behaving like someone who'd recently received some bad news. He played a straight bat to questions about his future , ' I'll speak to the board next week and I'm sure it'll get sorted one way or the other soon ' etc etc.

Although I thought Gordon's line of questioning suggested that he thought Sunday's match would be Dean's last one in charge.

...but as the article says, they've not met in 8 weeks in which time Corney has been over here a few times. If it was going to happen, or even if there was any will to try and make a deal, wouldn't they have met up?

Simon speaks regularly with Dowie and will know what will be needed to bring him back. I'm guessing he can't be approached until after the weekend when his current contract with Sky could be up.

Perhaps we are monitoring ST and corporate sales before putting a package together and a budget that both parties could work with.

There must be some legs to all this and I think is why there has been such a delay in the appointment of any new manager.

I reckon if Dowie's the man, an offer will have to be made to him within the next couple of weeks before any further contract with Sky is on the table and also to maximise the impact on ST sales before end of the offer period.

I think if this happens Holden may keep his coaching role at the club and could save on the entourage any other new manager would possibly want to bring in.

If there were better applicants than Dowie amongst those interviewed I think we'd have a new manager by now.

All guesswork, but that's my take on all this.......we will find out soon enough!

I've been in contact with Yates' agent in the past, think some of the reaction on Twitter has been a bit harsh - he appeared to me to be more connected than some of the current mocking Twitter folk seem to realise.

But on what he's said today, ironically, given Sunday's game, the name that comes to my mind, which I think was mentioned a while ago - probably in jest, was Darren Ferguson....

He hasn't won titles though - but he has obviously got promoted from L1 with Peterborough a few times, and I think he won something at Wrexham in non-league??!

I've been in contact with Yates' agent in the past, think some of the reaction on Twitter has been a bit harsh - he appeared to me to be more connected than some of the current mocking Twitter folk seem to realise.

But on what he's said today, ironically, given Sunday's game, the name that comes to my mind, which I think was mentioned a while ago - probably in jest, was Darren Ferguson....

He hasn't won titles though - but he has obviously got promoted from L1 with Peterborough a few times, and I think he won something at Wrexham in non-league??!

Please not that t**t!.....I'll be seriously pissed off if it's him.

The Club could be thinking if ST sales are going to soar with the announcement of Dowie, it's best to wait until after 21st May when the 'early bird' reduced rates end.

I think the club think that season ticket sales might be helped by feeding rumours of Dowie for a while. Before appointing someone less appealing later.

Wasn't liam Watson linked last time round? Won a couple of titles with Southport and AFC Telford I think, Just took over at staylybridge celtic.....oh dear

Watson's stock has gone right down the :censored:ter since he was linked last time around.It won't be him.

I think the club think that season ticket sales might be helped by feeding rumours of Dowie iiifor a while. Before appointing someone less appealing later.

Doubt that very much, however, I do find it very odd that he has declared his interest through the media but so far had no meeting as yet with Corney.