New Manager thread.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The same friend who's director mate was over at Dowie's for dinner the other night?!

Deal "all tied up" and all that !!!

No. He's a different one... But that guy did say about Blitz, and that Dowie was interested, both of which has since been confirmed - albeit with some flowery context.....! although I thought the same about Blitz, and then fans spotted him...

I think you're intelligent enough to work out the managerial experience point.

But it was a non issue due to Royle's stature in the game.

Just like it would be a non issue if we got somebody like Kevin Phillips in now.

When lack of managerial experience is combined with nobody having a clue who he is and then finding out he's not even coaching pro's its an issue for many.

Whether you agree or not surely you're intelligent enough to understand that?

First step with regards to doing "everything within his power" to get Dowie, would be to actually speak to Dowie!

It was more a hypothetical question.

When be people give the old "I'm not getting a season-ticket because of X" line, it's usually because of something Corney's done or not done. Sometimes it's just beyond his control.

The concern about renewing my season ticket is a fear of yet again more insipid home performances orchestrated by managers worried about how to contain the opposition.If yet another coaching manual theorist is appointed I wont be renewing my season ticket,but will attend the early games to see how he goes on. If he produces exhilarating football as displayed by TPs youth team recently I will carry on paying at the gate.

All the coaches involved in the recent youth team success are big advocates of coaching manuals and the approach in the final was determined only after lots of analysis of the opposition.

All the coaches involved in the recent youth team success are big advocates of coaching manuals and the approach in the final was determined only after lots of analysis of the opposition.

Not so, they HAVE to have the the badges to coach, once they have them they don't need to follow the latest trends as many do like sheep.

The tactics used against MK Dons youths were simple and didn't need lots of analysis, any scout (many of whom have no badges) would have known they play from the back and you need to pressurise them into errors.

I will give TP and his team credit, they did not fear the opposition, they went after them not letting them dictate the game.

With LJ and DH we have seen a fear of the opposition scoring goals leading to a lack of attacking options, that's a rigid tactical strategy I don't want to see.

It appears he starting following Corney (a fake account) and the Oldham official account in March, which makes you wonder how it's taken so long, with so many smokescreens and conspiracies, to appoint a bloke with absolutely no experience who will be asking for no money.

The club are getting this wrong. This style of appointment is for another time, not on the eve of the new stand's unveiling and with a decent core squad contracted. Johnson did well, but I fear the PowerPoint won't always be successful, as Dickov displayed, and it would be tragic if we gave Derry the benefit of next season to learn and we struggled.

It will kill all the momentum of the new stand.

Close but no cigar.

Criterion: are you offering the most cash for the job? (If you are, you'll impress at interview, badges and bull:censored: notwithstanding. If you're not, you'll impress at interview but, unfortunately, you'll be the wrong appointment at this time etc.)

Ask yourself this: if the word wasn't out about Oldham's managerial recruitment strategy, how would these people ever appear on anyone's radar?

What is the base of these claims?

It appears he starting following Corney (a fake account) and the Oldham official account in March, which makes you wonder how it's taken so long, with so many smokescreens and conspiracies, to appoint a bloke with absolutely no experience who will be asking for no money.

The club are getting this wrong. This style of appointment is for another time, not on the eve of the new stand's unveiling and with a decent core squad contracted. Johnson did well, but I fear the PowerPoint won't always be successful, as Dickov displayed, and it would be tragic if we gave Derry the benefit of next season to learn and we struggled.

It will kill all the momentum of the new stand.

The lads aren't interested in the football side, they want someone cheap who will toe the line, who get young players in with a view to selling them 12-18 months later.

They know 2, 2500 people will buy a season ticket no matter what, they know the average gate will be 4000.

My guess is that we will hear and see even less of Corney, 2-3 years of creaming the profits from new stand and they will be off into the sunset.

The lads aren't interested in the football side, they want someone cheap who will toe the line, who get young players in with a view to selling them 12-18 months later.

They know 2, 2500 people will buy a season ticket no matter what, they know the average gate will be 4000.

My guess is that we will hear and see even less of Corney, 2-3 years of creaming the profits from new stand and they will be off into the sunset.

Unfortunately, that's the way to run a lower league football club these days...

Always had optimism with regards to the owner's intentions - maybe blindly - but if this appointment goes through it will be evident. And it will subsequently be difficult to muster the effort to bother attending.

Not so, they HAVE to have the the badges to coach, once they have them they don't need to follow the latest trends as many do like sheep.

The tactics used against MK Dons youths were simple and didn't need lots of analysis, any scout (many of whom have no badges) would have known they play from the back and you need to pressurise them into errors.

OK. The coaches would openly disagree but never mind.

If it was Dowie they would have announced it this weekend IMO.

If it isn't they will announce it out of the firing line I.e next week and as someone has said will have 2 months to let the dust settle. The manager will learn some pre season cliches to get some fans onside and around the merry go round we go again for 18 months.

I really hope it is Dowie as it would be a major sign of intent and an injection of ambition to maximise the feel good factor of the new stand. It would be a risk but an educated one.

Any other appointment is a bit hit and hope but one thing is for sure in 12 months time the new stand effect will have gone and they will be left with nothing but the success of the manager to determine season tickets next year

What is the base of these claims?

Conjecture. It might seem shaky but it makes total sense when you think about the Dickov and Johnson appointments, and the manners of their leaving, and the drawn out process this time, in which the next name connected with the job is even more obscure than the last.

It makes far more sense than to assume that Corney is hell bent on getting a manager in the more conventional way.

There was a real opportunity here to break the cycle of slow decline and generate some real forward momentum.

The new stand has created a new sense of optimism amongst the fans. Had this been augmented by an inspiring managerial appointment, we could have found ourselves back on an upward curve with bigger crowds and subsequently a bigger budget.

An appointment like this, even if he does turn in to a decent manager like Johnson did, will kill all the new found optimism dead before it gets any momentum.

Big name non-manager.

Small time manager.

Big time manager.

Small time coach.

Is there any evidence, at this level (and by that I mean low budget free transfer wielding club), that one type of appointment is more likely to succeed than the other?