The Main Stand - do it up or drop it?

Personally I think it's a cracking stand, but it was at best mediocre compared with some of the fabulous stands of the past - perhaps this tells us just how much of football's heritage has been lost.

One thing about BP circa the 70's - 80's was that the layout was textbook English - ie.covered standing end, open standing end, seated side stands with standing paddocks in front. Ethnic.

http://92club.blogspot.fr/2015/05/no-85-boundary-park-oldham-athletic.html

If it ran the full length of the pitch It could possibly have been renovated, but to extend both ends, deal with the kink and completely refurbish the interior would surely not be cost effective.

Not to mention the problems encountered when adding a cantilever style roof, ie. no roof supports obstructing the view of the pitch.

Its a lovely reminder of days gone by but I think it will have to be knocked down and completely redeveloped.

It houses the heartbeat and pulse of the club. We could maybe move the back room staff into the new stand.

But the main entrance, changing rooms, laundry room, players lounge etc appears to be staying in the main stand.

Not forgetting the tv gantry and other media stuff we have just spent loads of money updating.

Maybe close the upper part next season and renovate it is the most I can see happening.

bulldoze it - and don't waste a moment thinking about it

but would love to see something using the old bricks to give the new main stand character

Almost this. If the guts can be done without affecting the exterior than I don't see the poison change for changes sake. I'm sure more could be made of the internal space with a new build, the facilities there now are :censored:e in terms of fans and club business alike.

I've always thought they'd have been better sticking away fans in there (both top and bottom) and utilising the smaller bit in the Rocky to help out/accommodate whilst any work was being carried out to it. Alas I think that due to the time and money taken to build our new stand nothing will happen anytime soon.

If I remember correctly (no doubt this isn't the case anymore) I'm sure the club suggested once over they would just renovate the top half the stand, gut it to just above the changing rooms etc so they could still be used on matchday. Im guessing the lower tier is fine with the more modern seating.

As others have said too I would like to see it run the full length of the pitch!

If I remember correctly (no doubt this isn't the case anymore) I'm sure the club suggested once over they would just renovate the top half the stand, gut it to just above the changing rooms etc so they could still be used on matchday. Im guessing the lower tier is fine with the more modern seating.

As others have said too I would like to see it run the full length of the pitch!

Be mint if we were allowed 'safe standing' at either end in them two unused blocks.

Pointless having shiny new stands if your home games are against the likes of Barrow and Woking (disrespect intended)

If the owner/s are planning on sticking around then need to see investment on the playing side.

Edited by deyres42

Gut it. Rip the roof off, side walls,and everything downwards keeping literally just the outer wall. Build a new modern stand (reclaiming bits as ya go for character) using the outer wall. Would be a first in football wouldnt it? And im sure wouldnt cost that much more than throwing up a complete new build.

Residents on furtherwood couldnt complain as it would stay exactly the same from street side. You could also extend each side to pitch length if you so wish.

Edited by philliggi

I can think of between 6 and 8 millions why it will stay as it is for sometime

But if we ever get the chance bulldoze it and rebuild a new one it's a dump, I've sat in it for the past 6 years. The only redeeming feature is that the two tiered structure allows for an elevated view.

Rebuild a stand that has 2 tiers and a tunnel where the players walk down the steps and that will be fine.

bulldoze it - and don't waste a moment thinking about it

but would love to see something using the old bricks to give the new main stand character

you cant polish a turd knock it down build build build

Gut it. Rip the roof off, side walls,and everything downwards keeping literally just the outer wall. Build a new modern stand (reclaiming bits as ya go for character) using the outer wall. Would be a first in football wouldnt it? And im sure wouldnt cost that much more than throwing up a complete new build.

Residents on furtherwood couldnt complain as it would stay exactly the same from street side. You could also extend each side to pitch length if you so wish.

Hands off - it sounds like there will only be a few hundred of us diehards next season - best view in the ground too - leave untouched until we are back in the premiership...

Anyone have any pics of the main stand during 1990's and any interior images of the stand like the boxes etc. cant seem to find any good images on google

Private boxes visible as the plastic pitch is removed, Summer 1991.

19211865326_08b00d933c_z.jpg

Summer 1994, the main stand receives a £450,000 ’upgrade’. Private boxes removed and seating is erected in the Paddock areas.

19051926339_3ce7b16071_z.jpg

Pictures courtesy of ‘Pine Villa & Oldham Athletic, A 100 year Journey’ by Stewart W. Beckett.

Private boxes visible as the plastic pitch is removed, Summer 1991.

19211865326_08b00d933c_z.jpg

Summer 1994, the main stand receives a £450,000 upgrade. Private boxes removed and seating is erected in the Paddock areas.

19051926339_3ce7b16071_z.jpg

Pictures courtesy of Pine Villa & Oldham Athletic, A 100 year Journey by Stewart W. Beckett.

Good trivia question I was asked. Who was the first team to install executive boxes? Apparently the answer is us