Shrewsbury on Saturday

Bit o/t buy I was at the Donny Southend game last night and I honestly can't explain how bad it was. I know a few people are a bit worried about us for various reasons but let me tell you now there is some diabolically :censored: football being played in this division. Donny were so bad it was genuinely laugh out loud at times.

Made me confident we can do something this season continuing with 3 points against the Shrews.

Woof.

Three 0-0 draws to start the season for Donny (essentially).

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It has to be remembered that we did try to sell Forte but he failed the medical. Great for us but starting two games a week would be a bad idea.

All I have seen of Dunn was someone who wasn't up to speed and capable of closing down the game against Fleetwood.

I hope as we are at home and don't have a replacement for Jake that we play two up top and go for it but that is unlikely. Give me another poor performance and a win and I'll be happy

Shrewsbury are going down, so we have to be winning these matches at home. They were often the ones we lost last season.

Like I've been vocal on already, I'd drop Croft and his 'industry' for a bit more class, in Winchester, to enable us to open up their defence, something we struggled to do often last season at home against the poorer sides. I'm aware Kelly won't do that though.

Don't think I'd play Turner either. Would prefer Philliskirk up front for now, we have the midfielders to run off his intelligent play and I think he could replicate the target man element we lost with Cassidy, if the ball is played into his feet.

Coleman

Brown Burn Wilson Mills

Winchester Jones Kelly Forte

Green

Philly

Dunn in the hole if he's fit yet

They have Mat Sadler, who any decent winger in this league would fancy their chances against.

And they've just lost their best centre half.

Football, and life, ain't so black and white. Or as certain.

If croft was to be dropped for winchester...id rather see poleon go to the right ans winchester on the left. Poleon has no left and may benefit from being on his more natural side.

Saying that, if fit id prefer to play forte and croft this week. Winchester still on bench for me due to a less tha average and quite lazy start.

We definitely need more threat, 2 goals in 4 and a half hours of football does not reflect Kelly's 'philosophy'.

We played well at Walsall without creating very much in the final third, I think we were extremely lucky to get the win against Fleetwood and on another day it could have resulted in a heavy defeat.

Didn't go to Colchester but by all accounts we were slightly the better team but they hit the post and a draw was probably about right.

Without the little bit of fortune we've had on our side and the form of Coleman we could easily be near the foot of the table on 2 or even 1 point.

I'm looking for a big improvement on Saturday especially from a talented midfield who should be keeping possession better and creating a lot more chances than they have so far.

A win and few goals is what's needed against Shrewsbury and would give the team a confidence boost and a platform on which to keep this unbeaten run going.

Edited by oafc1955

Shrewsbury are going down, so we have to be winning these matches at home. They were often the ones we lost last season.

Like I've been vocal on already, I'd drop Croft and his 'industry' for a bit more class, in Winchester, to enable us to open up their defence, something we struggled to do often last season at home against the poorer sides. I'm aware Kelly won't do that though.

Don't think I'd play Turner either. Would prefer Philliskirk up front for now, we have the midfielders to run off his intelligent play and I think he could replicate the target man element we lost with Cassidy, if the ball is played into his feet.

Coleman

Brown Burn Wilson Mills

Winchester Jones Kelly Forte

Green

Philly

Dunn in the hole if he's fit yet

Didnt we try Philly upfront alone a couple of years ago against Wolves and it was generally seen as a disaster? granted first half we played with 10 men that night. Philly upfront as a 2 or as a second striker in the number 10 role I'm ok with not on his own its not his strength.

We definitely need more threat, 2 goals in 4 and a half hours of football does not reflect Kelly's 'philosophy'.

What if we could continue the season mainly winning and drawing tight games though?

I want goals & entertainment as much, if not more than the next person, but.....

Didnt we try Philly upfront alone a couple of years ago against Wolves and it was generally seen as a disaster? granted first half we played with 10 men that night. Philly upfront as a 2 or as a second striker in the number 10 role I'm ok with not on his own its not his strength.

Can't remember Wolves, but then they were an exceptional team at this level.

I mentioned Rochdale away last season, when Philly and Daniel Johnson ran the show together, both playing number 10 positions.

Philly could be a decent hold up guy as he has the ability to peel off a defender and find the space to collect the ball. If we had runners beyond him it would work well.

Can't remember Wolves, but then they were an exceptional team at this level.

I mentioned Rochdale away last season, when Philly and Daniel Johnson ran the show together, both playing number 10 positions.

Philly could be a decent hold up guy as he has the ability to peel off a defender and find the space to collect the ball. If we had runners beyond him it would work well.

He did do a decent job then i remember If we are going with 1 uptop then its important that whoever we play up their gets support from midfield and wide positions and people are prepared to go beyond. Phillys goal last week came from him gambling on Turner winning the header and being prepared to go past him we need the other players to be prepared to do that.

What if we could continue the season mainly winning and drawing tight games though?

I want goals & entertainment as much, if not more than the next person, but.....

Don't think we have a team that can grind out one nills all season and when the luck runs out so will our form, besides, I want to see some goals which Kelly promised with his 'philosophy'.

We played well at Walsall without creating very much in the final third, I think we were extremely lucky to get the win against Fleetwood and on another day it could have resulted in a heavy defeat.

Didn't go to Colchester but by all accounts we were slightly the better team but they hit the post and a draw was probably about right.

Without the little bit of fortune we've had on our side and the form of Coleman we could easily be near the foot of the table on 2 or even 1 point.

I'm looking for a big improvement on Saturday especially from a talented midfield who should be keeping possession better and creating a lot more chances than they have so far.

A win and few goals is what's needed against Shrewsbury and would give the team a confidence boost and a platform on which to keep this unbeaten run going.

On the other hand, if Walsall hadn't have scored a superb strike against us and Parish hadn't made a very good save off Croft, we could be joint top with 9 points having not conceded a goal.

If croft was to be dropped for winchester...id rather see poleon go to the right ans winchester on the left. Poleon has no left and may benefit from being on his more natural side.

Saying that, if fit id prefer to play forte and croft this week. Winchester still on bench for me due to a less tha average and quite lazy start.

i would prefer an overweight Lee Croft on the right instead of Poleon. Infact I woudl play an overweight me on the right instead of Poleon

For me Winchester has to come back in, especially without a target man if we have to play in on the ground and keep possession.

Keep the back 5 the same.

If Kelly is fit a midfield 5 of Croft, Winch (right and left), Kelly, Jones and Dunn

Forte up top but will need the support of the 4 'attacking' midfielders. There was a clear difference between DP and Turner reading Dunn's throughballs and then Forte's reading of Dunn's passes - The ball over the top into channels plays into Forte's strength and there are 6 clever/experienced footballers in the front six there. Possibly harsh on DP but barring the goals he isn't contributing enough.

For me Winchester has to come back in, especially without a target man if we have to play in on the ground and keep possession.

Keep the back 5 the same.

If Kelly is fit a midfield 5 of Croft, Winch (right and left), Kelly, Jones and Dunn

Forte up top but will need the support of the 4 'attacking' midfielders. There was a clear difference between DP and Turner reading Dunn's throughballs and then Forte's reading of Dunn's passes - The ball over the top into channels plays into Forte's strength and there are 6 clever/experienced footballers in the front six there. Possibly harsh on DP but barring the goals he isn't contributing enough.

So he doesn't contribute apart from scoring goals?

The useless bastard!