Darren Kelly Appointed Halifax Manager

I struggle with this the club realised they had made a mistake talk tbh. Based on what exactly?? clearly has the qualifications loved in the game by clubs. The squad was poor from the back end of last season. Clearly the club made the decsion to get rid of harvey now he is with darren at Halifax. Weather the club thought they made a mistake or not getting rid of Jim Harvey clearly was the clibs decsion amd clearly would of unsettled Darren. In my opinion they should of got rid of Holden. Then bringing in David Dunn right under his nose, Yes performances wasnt great but Liam Kelly being injured clearly didnt help him.

Lets be claer here the way we treated Darren Kelly was a farce and he deserved more respect and certainly more time. If any other club had treated a new manager the way we did we would be slagging them off. Footballs gone mad

' Lets be claer here '....that's quality!!

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what if Dunn has same record after 7 games? Do we get rid? Then be on our 5th Manager of the calender year? Or does Dunn get more time beacuse he graced the promise land thats the premier league ?

I don't care where Dunn has played, or how many managers we've had...Kelly looked out of his depth, the team were a shambles and he was rightfully given the boot. If we're in the same boat after 7 (9) games with Dunn then yes I hope we'd get rid.

Like I said, he should have been treated with respect. But :censored: me, I'm still glad he's not our manager anymore.

So what if Dunn has same record after 7 games? Do we get rid? Then be on our 5th Manager of the calender year? Or does Dunn get more time beacuse he graced the promise land thats the premier league ?

Again, I'd say it depends on how Dunn has gone about his job as manager....

It's simple this if you think about it just a tiny bit harder...

The club realised they made a mistake appointing him. I think that's clear from what happened. Then they did something about it.

It wasn't ideal how they handled it but in the circumstances what else could they have done? If we'd have been winning games I don't think he would have been sacked and Dunn would have had to go elsewhere for a managers job.

Whether Dunn will work out or not I've no idea but I've got more confidence in him than I did Kelly.

What the club did wrong mainly was give Kelly the job in the first place.

I feel a cancelled protest in the offing here..................

The club stated that he had players brought in for him. He couldn't do it himself so either he didn't have the contacts or he didn't know how?

If he couldn't do the job he was hired to do, a job he obviously said he could in his interview then he should have been and was sacked.

Was Dunn being brought in as a possible replacement for him fair.If that was the actual case then no but the club made a mistake with Kelly, they know it, we know it and they rectified it quickly.

It can take years to build up contacts not a couple of months, I havent seen anything officially he didn't bring in the players, and how do we know the 2 youths brought in from Northern Ireland weren't down to him, one of them has scored 6 in 3 games so far ?

I wish him all the best but I'm glad he's no longer the manager here.

Last week I was at an business awards/dinner. You obviously start talking football and I discovered I was chatting to the dad of one of our players. Obviously I can't name the player but he speaks quite a lot to players and staff at the club.

What I was told was the Kelly was a nice bloke but very quiet and lacked confidence especially around the older more experienced players. He struggled to communicate exactly what his tactics were and when he was questioned/challenged then he panicked and the tail was wagging the dog regarding direction in the pitch. This led to Holden taking the majority of first team training and Kelly withdrawing to his comfort zone of coaching the kids - basically the manager was fast becoming the assistant.

Off field he struggled too. He was recruited on a promise of extensive connections that failed to materialise. He stated that he could bring in specific players but couldn't - Watmore being one. Rumours were going around within weeks that the board had made a mistake as nothing was materialising on recruitment so certain staff and even people outside the club stepped in to assist in bringing players in. He basically had to be forced to attend media sessions hence why directors attended with him and those around were questioning what he was actually bringing to the club.

Now if the player who's dad I was talking to was on the sidelines then I would dismiss as sour grapes but the player is a regular. The dad said the players actually liked Kelly but as a quiet member of the team rather than an inspiration.

Hope he does well at Halifax as I do think that's his level being from that same level with those players - or coaching kids.

It's the level he should be starting management at he may well so a good job there as it's the level he played at.

Whichever way you look at it from his appointment to how we undermined him the board of directors showed piss poor judgement. It's 4 months wasted that knowone will get back.

If they are making piss poor decisions now then I don't see how an extra million quid a year from the stand assuming that goes straight to the club will help them. Because if they are making a mess with f-all then I can't see that changing with the extra resource.

The club stated that he had players brought in for him. He couldn't do it himself so either he didn't have the contacts or he didn't know how?

If he couldn't do the job he was hired to do, a job he obviously said he could in his interview then he should have been and was sacked.

Was Dunn being brought in as a possible replacement for him fair.If that was the actual case then no but the club made a mistake with Kelly, they know it, we know it and they rectified it quickly.

That the bit that bugs me he has no contact the board bought the players????

Ed Woodward buys the players at man United van gaal just says who he wants!! The scouts presuming we still have scouts at the club!! Recommend players and the manager goes to watch them then if he likes them goes to the board to buy them!!! Agents ring up trying to off load players when they have no clubs.....the contacts thing was a bull :censored: smoke screen.

It can take years to build up contacts not a couple of months, I havent seen anything officially he didn't bring in the players, and how do we know the 2 youths brought in from Northern Ireland weren't down to him, one of them has scored 6 in 3 games so far ?

We don't but Matt Chambers (I think?) reported that he had players 'brought him for him' and while it does take years to build up contacts it depends on what he said in the interview.

If it turns out he has no current contacts and he can't bring in players himself then what do should the club do, carry on or admit your mistake? Thankfully they did the latter...

We have seen anything official in regard to the exact reasons he was let go & maybe he did bring in the 2 kids you mention but how are 2 Northern Irish youth players going to help our current situation in league 1?

We don't but Matt Chambers (I think?) reported that he had players 'brought him for him' and while it does take years to build up contacts it depends on what he said in the interview.

If it turns out he has no current contacts and he can't bring in players himself then what do should the club do, carry on or admit your mistake? Thankfully they did the latter...

We have seen anything official in regard to the exact reasons he was let go & maybe he did bring in the 2 kids you mention but how are 2 Northern Irish youth players going to help our current situation in league 1?

For all we know the players might have been brought in by Jim Harvey, if so I would call that a contact.

The Northern Ireland lads may reap rich dividends in the future, if that happens and they were down to him it would be his legacy, we will have a good idea if they eventually finish up at Halifax in loan.

I agree though the Peterborough match was his undoing and hastened the boards decision.

Edited by BP1960

The Northern Ireland lads may reap rich dividends in the future, if that happens and they were down to him it would be his legacy, we will have a good idea if they eventually finish up at Halifax in loan.

I think you mean on loan. Just be careful the grammer and spelling police are always out in force on here.

That the bit that bugs me he has no contact the board bought the players????

Ed Woodward buys the players at man United van gaal just says who he wants!! The scouts presuming we still have scouts at the club!! Recommend players and the manager goes to watch them then if he likes them goes to the board to buy them!!! Agents ring up trying to off load players when they have no clubs.....the contacts thing was a bull :censored: smoke screen.

Oldham & Utd in the transfer market...yep that's the same!

At Oldham where money is tight you don't just pick a name and go and get him. If you haven't noticed that 95% of our signings over the last few years have been friends with the manager having played with them or knew them or knew a friend & nearly all free!

He wasn't up to the job so they sacked him after our heaviest home defeat in years when he bowed to fan pressure to change formation. Pressure after only 7 games. Massive smoke screen....

Edited by palmer1