Darren Kelly Appointed Halifax Manager

The Northern Ireland lads may reap rich dividends in the future, if that happens and they were down to him it would be his legacy, we will have a good idea if they eventually finish up at Halifax in loan.

But that doesn't help us now. Big if...

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they'd made a mistake they should've just sacked him at the time rather than dragging it on. Who decided he was crap?

who decided to play stupid games by sacking his assistant? who decided to bring in his replacement to undermine him a bit more? Why play silly buggers? The reason i ask is because it's a :censored: way of running the club. Why not just say, 'hands-up, we've dropped one, we're not happy and we're getting rid.' It reflects a piss poor way of running affairs. Given SC isn't here most of the time, someone else must be managing the club like a west end farce. I wonder who....?

Anyway, it's over. I hope he does well. Move on.

Oldham & Utd in the transfer market...yep that's the same!

At Oldham where money is tight you don't just pick a name and go and get him. If you haven't noticed that 95% of our signings over the last few years have been friends with the manager having played with them or knew them or knew a friend & nearly all free!

He wasn't up to the job so they sacked him after our heaviest home defeat in years when he bowed to fan pressure to change formation. Pressure after only 7 games. Massive smoke screen....

Don't kid yourself the principles are still the same just on a different level!

His legs were cut off before he had chance

Don't kid yourself the principles are still the same just on a different level!

His legs were cut off before he had chance

Latics; I know this player he is my friend and he is keen to come to play for us. I'd like to look at bringing him in on a short term deal for free.

Utd; I want Martial in France! Go get him!

Not really the same is it?

If they are making piss poor decisions now then I don't see how an extra million quid a year from the stand assuming that goes straight to the club will help them. Because if they are making a mess with f-all then I can't see that changing with the extra resource.

Will it be an extra million quid for us, or just that Corney saves himself a million quid a year that he'd normally put in?

Latics; I know this player he is my friend and he is keen to come to play for us. I'd like to look at bringing him in on a short term deal for free.

Utd; I want Martial in France! Go get him!

Not really the same is it?

I want Jake Cassidy Simon go get him!

Looks the same to me???

He wasn't up to the job so they sacked him after our heaviest home defeat in years when he bowed to fan pressure to change formation. Pressure after only 7 games. Massive smoke screen....

Unfortunately we've lost by 4 twice in the past year.

I think you mean on loan. Just be careful the grammer and spelling police are always out in force on here.

I wasn't pulling you up on the spelling, if you can't see the unintended humour in that line then I despair FFS chill out!!

Unfortunately we've lost by 4 twice in the past year.

First time conceded 5 though and by all accounts could have been more.

Last time we conceded 5? Mk Dons? Sheridan got sacked...

But typing that remembered 7 nil away to them is OK ;)

First time conceded 5 though and by all accounts could have been more.

Last time we conceded 5? Mk Dons? Sheridan got sacked...

But typing that remembered 7 nil away to them is OK ;)

Think the last time we let in 5 at home was, ironically, Peterborough again in 2011.

It can take years to build up contacts not a couple of months, I havent seen anything officially he didn't bring in the players, and how do we know the 2 youths brought in from Northern Ireland weren't down to him, one of them has scored 6 in 3 games so far ?

Given we have already had Ryan Burns, Kirk Millar and Winchester all move over from Linfield like Glackin has I'd say there's bugger all chance Kelly had anything to do with it.

I wish him all the best but I'm glad he's no longer the manager here.

Last week I was at an business awards/dinner. You obviously start talking football and I discovered I was chatting to the dad of one of our players. Obviously I can't name the player but he speaks quite a lot to players and staff at the club.

What I was told was the Kelly was a nice bloke but very quiet and lacked confidence especially around the older more experienced players. He struggled to communicate exactly what his tactics were and when he was questioned/challenged then he panicked and the tail was wagging the dog regarding direction in the pitch. This led to Holden taking the majority of first team training and Kelly withdrawing to his comfort zone of coaching the kids - basically the manager was fast becoming the assistant.

Off field he struggled too. He was recruited on a promise of extensive connections that failed to materialise. He stated that he could bring in specific players but couldn't - Watmore being one. Rumours were going around within weeks that the board had made a mistake as nothing was materialising on recruitment so certain staff and even people outside the club stepped in to assist in bringing players in. He basically had to be forced to attend media sessions hence why directors attended with him and those around were questioning what he was actually bringing to the club.

Now if the player who's dad I was talking to was on the sidelines then I would dismiss as sour grapes but the player is a regular. The dad said the players actually liked Kelly but as a quiet member of the team rather than an inspiration.

Hope he does well at Halifax as I do think that's his level being from that same level with those players - or coaching kids.

That was all echoed in his demeanour pitchside during games...

and how do we know the 2 youths brought in from Northern Ireland weren't down to him, one of them has scored 6 in 3 games so far ?

Because they were already coming to the club in March.

For those wondering what drove Cassidy's move, in his first interview after it, he mentions about it first cropping up months ago. It was clearly another one done before Kelly was here.

Edited by Twisbrogan