Baxter

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Taking e's and coke now and again is hardly performance enhancing is it.

Pathetic isn't it.

It should be a matter between the club and the player, like eating too many pies or drinking too much booze would be....

It's illegal but he's not been caught by the police (which would be different).

What's the actual reason the football authorities test players for recreational drugs - does anyone know?

Pathetic isn't it.

It should be a matter between the club and the player, like eating too many pies or drinking too much booze would be....

It's illegal but he's not been caught by the police (which would be different).

What's the actual reason the football authorities test players for recreational drugs - does anyone know?

Totally agree, recreational drugs is something a club should possibly advise their employee not to take and offer support for them not too. But it shouldn't be a ban from the sport, unless like you say the police believe it to be illegal substances.

I don't understand why so many wouldn't want him back... as for addiction? no chance, just because he's had some with his mates on a night out doesn't mean he's in anyway addicted.

I'd have him back tomorrow.

The only laughable part of the story is that football absolutely refuses to get a grip of the more systemic cheating and performance enhancing drugs that affect the game enormously.

Baxter is a professional athlete who is responsible for what is in his body. Thats ultimately the end of the story. Even in a truly tragic case like the Jake Livermore situation at Hull, he was very leniantly handled.

Anybody with any doubts about the issues the sport faces ought to go and read about operation Puerta in Spain, or the comments Wenger was making about EPO and red blood cell counts in 2004.

The game refuses to take the issue seriously as it would destroy the credibility of some seriously big names and sponsors. Sadly they don't have quite the same concern about a player at Baxter's level, but he himself can have no complaints.

I have to wonder, if it's was a footballer you all hated would you find enough scope to defend him for being a coke head. What if he tested positive while at Latics?

I'm not defending him for being a coke head, nor do we know he is a coke head. He might have consumed it on a few occasions, what I'm saying is he's not cheating the game... if he was 'tested positive' for recreational drugs, whilst at latics id have the same stance - I'd think he was a bit of a clown possibly wasting his talent, but wouldn't want the club to ban him from the sport, just advise him on what's right and wrong to do of a weekend.

Ironically, many recreational drugs are illegal to use.

Many performance enhancing ones aren't.

I struggle with the concept that one type is okay so we should just ignore it.

Quite right, the use of it today is so rampant that it is just seen as ok, I'm far from being a Daily Mail reader but if Rio Ferdinand can be banned for 8 months for missing a drugs test then a suitable punishment needs to be dished out here.

I was staying in Ibiza for a month in June 2008. I stayed with a mate and her mates who were working there.

A lower league footballer was on his stag do there and a member of their group pulled one of the girls staying in our place.

The next day 5/6 lads turned up. 2 of which were footballers. Both taking alsorts. The groom was the captain of a league 1/2 side - and would be known by most people on here I would think. They hadn't said they were footballers the girls, but I recognised them. They tried to deny it, but I started giving them facts about instances vs Latics and they admitted it.

They told me a few stories of other players, much more senior players, internationals - at PFA, FA events. None of which I can verify, but I have no reason to think are false.

They told me that as long as they did it in early June, they wouldn't get caught.

I won't post names as I don't think Mods will be happy.

Edited by pukka

If the story that Baxter glassed a young Accrington player is true and that's the reason for his suspension, would this materially affect the desire for his return?

I would imagine that if anyone had 'glassed' someone then it wouldn't be a suspension they would be facing, but police charges. Cannot imagine someone being glassed and not taking it to the authorities.

I would imagine that if anyone had 'glassed' someone then it wouldn't be a suspension they would be facing, but police charges. Cannot imagine someone being glassed and not taking it to the authorities.

The football code. Taken care of between clubs rather than police!

I suppose your opinion on recreational drugs plays a big factor in how a player in this situation should be dealt with.

I personally don't partake in any drugs because the law of the country tells me they are illegal (not the rules enforced the FA) but if I did get caught twice while at work. I would expect the book to be thrown at me! Recreational or not if it's against the law it's a bid no no. I'd have to be right dick head to get caught twice wouldn't I?

Edited by palmer1

Seriously, i haven't taken drugs and believed they should remain illegal. However, while the law is clear, the underlying hypocrisy remains. Alcohol is incredibly destructive, in every sense. The just destructive drug in our society. But we accept it. Gambling is booming, but it creates untold misery. We don't judge a heavy drinker, and wouldn't ban him, because it's legal. But we would throw the book at someone who takes a recreational drug because it is illegal.

Personally, if it doesn't impact on someone else (like rape, murder, child sex etc), don't judge. All this holier than thou :censored: is sanctimonious bollocks.

If, however, he has attacked someone, then he can :censored: off.

Seriously, i haven't taken drugs and believed they should remain illegal. However, while the law is clear, the underlying hypocrisy remains. Alcohol is incredibly destructive, in every sense. The just destructive drug in our society. But we accept it. Gambling is booming, but it creates untold misery. We don't judge a heavy drinker, and wouldn't ban him, because it's legal. But we would throw the book at someone who takes a recreational drug because it is illegal.

Personally, if it doesn't impact on someone else (like rape, murder, child sex etc), don't judge. All this holier than thou :censored: is sanctimonious bollocks.

If, however, he has attacked someone, then he can :censored: off.

So because someone does something legal in the eyes of the law & believes you shouldnt do something illegal including drug use its sanctimonious!?

If he broke the law for a 2nd time & got caught :censored: him! It's the 2nd time!

Unfortunately we don't get to pick the laws but we should abide by whatever your role in life.

If you had been caught breaking the law especially drug use how many chances would your employer's give you. I doubt even 1?

Edited by palmer1

So because someone does something legal in the eyes of the law & believes you shouldnt do something illegal including drug use its sanctimonious!?

If he broke the law for a 2nd time & got caught :censored: him! It's the 2nd time!

Unfortunately we don't get to pick the laws but we should abide by whatever your role in life.

If you had been caught breaking the law especially drug use how many chances would your employer's give you. I doubt even 1?

:censored: em.

And their law.

I can't believe people still have sentiments like 'its a :censored: law, I dont like it, but we must just do as we are told'

:censored:in sickens me. No wonder the world is so :censored:ed up.

Couldnt agree more.

I dont do recreational drugs but I dont agree with (a lot of aspects of) the law regarding it's use, and dont disagree with some people who choose not to accept that law.

Like many criminal laws it's outdated - it isn't that long ago that homosexuality was illegal (and a diagnoseable mental health condition) - fortunately laws do change.

If footballers or anyone else want to do some e's on holiday in Ibiza then good for them - we only live once - enjoy it.