Is Dunn the right man?

David Dunn's Managerial Magic  

144 members have voted

1. 1. Who believes David Dunn is the right manager to keep us up and take us forward?

• Yes
    • No

So are they doing it wrong or being asked to do the wrong things, because it's produced no quantifiable improvement?

I just think the biggest problem is a lack of quality, we don't have anyone who can put their foot on the ball in midfield or a striker who you can hang your hat on to get 15 goals.

So we end up with functional teams lacking much spark or dynamism.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone put a pole up whether they would like to see us play with 2 up front.

Would be interesting to confirm my initial thoughts that most of our fans still think its 1996.

A lot of that is due to the fact the one up front is absolutely useless, and is given chances at goal but does cock all with them unless they are on a plate. People then decide its the midfields fault and we need another striker on there aswell.

On another note, David Dunn should be on the pitch still, hes still more than good enough to single handedly win us games, and get someone more experienced in the dugout.

I just think the biggest problem is a lack of quality, we don't have anyone who can put their foot on the ball in midfield or a striker who you can hang your hat on to get 15 goals.

Winchester, Jones, Dunn?

Agree on a striker but teams have gone up without having a 10 goal striker.

A lot of that is due to the fact the one up front is absolutely useless, and is given chances at goal but does cock all with them unless they are on a plate. People then decide its the midfields fault and we need another striker on there aswell.

On another note, David Dunn should be on the pitch still, hes still more than good enough to single handedly win us games, and get someone more experienced in the dugout.

I was relatively (relative to the usual feelings of despair I experience in relation to most things Latics) excited when Dunn signed and talked about how he just wanted to be playing and how much he still had to offer on the pitch. Sadly, it turned out to be a load of bollocks and he was in fact lying in wait for Darren Kelly's job, with Corney's backing.

Corney et al made it very clear when they appointed Holden for the remainder of last season that they don't really give much of a :censored: who's manager, so long as they're cheap. In Johnson, they stumbled on someone who I think will do reasonably well in management, despite the poor run he's having at Barnsley. In Dickov, they found a man who, like Johnson, won over the fans but who it transpired was a terrible manager. In Holden and Kelly they downgraded to guys without the skills to charm the fans and without any real clue about management. It's early days but Dunn looks like a further follow on of that, I'm afraid to say.

It's to be expected though when you're selection criteria is nothing more thought out than 'How much does he want?'

Higdon had always scored at that kind of rate, or better, before his Sheff Utd stint and looks like he could do if he stays here for the season if we attack more.

I agree with you on the midfielder - Jones, Kelly, Winchester can all pass a bit, cross a bit, tackle a bit and go past men a bit but we are lacking a Wellens/Sheridan type who can run a game and consistently thread quality through balls in. That type of player is generally good at set pieces too which we're also missing..

We had a free kick near their box late on on Saturday and I looked around the pitch and didn't have a clue who would be likely to take it. And I don't remember who did now.

That lad who used to play for Blackburn would be exactly what we need - David Du......oh.

Edited by HarryBosch

Winchester, Jones, Dunn?

Agree on a striker but teams have gone up without having a 10 goal striker.

Winchester has some quality but we don't see it often enough, Dunn is done now as a player.

Forte had got 11 goals by this time last year, can't put a price on how much we have missed him fit and firing.

Winchester has some quality but we don't see it often enough, Dunn is done now as a player.

Forte had got 11 goals by this time last year, can't put a price on how much we have missed him fit and firing.

But in games when Winchester doesn't shine he still does the other stuff perfectly adequately and a damn sight better than Croft would...

Agree on Forte. Remember when he would have been "no great loss" a couple of months ago?

Ive never understood this cheapest option thing.

Managers are generally paid a lot less on average than players, aside from fringe or youths. Id happily lose a dieng and brown from the squad and give their wages to a much better experienced manager. The gaps they leave is where the loan market should be utilised properly.

But in games when Winchester doesn't shine he still does the other stuff perfectly adequately and a damn sight better than Croft would...

Agree on Forte. Remember when he would have been "no great loss" a couple of months ago?

So the kop out on Winchester is that he is now better than Croft who we all think is crap anyway!

I have been telling everyone for a long time that Winchester is a liability in midfield and some cannot even see it after the last 2 matches!

Winchester is the one behind the strikers if he plays anywhere and in those 2 games we have created virtually nothing while he plays for about 15 minutes a game.

So how do we set up next time? 4-3-1-2 if we have 2 up top? There will still be no width, no beating a man, no crosses coming in!

So the kop out on Winchester is that he is now better than Croft who we all think is crap anyway!

I have been telling everyone for a long time that Winchester is a liability in midfield and some cannot even see it after the last 2 matches!

Winchester is the one behind the strikers if he plays anywhere and in those 2 games we have created virtually nothing while he plays for about 15 minutes a game.

So how do we set up next time? 4-3-1-2 if we have 2 up top? There will still be no width, no beating a man, no crosses coming in!

What did he do wrong in the last two matches, exactly...?

What did he do wrong in the last two matches, exactly...?

Dec I usually agree with you but I'm right behind chaddysmoker on this one.

Winny for all his ability was dropped by Kelly when he wasnt showing enough. Since he has come back into the team little has changed. He still drifts in and out of games massively.

Dec I usually agree with you but I'm right behind chaddysmoker on this one.

Winny for all his ability was dropped by Kelly when he wasnt showing enough. Since he has come back into the team little has changed. He still drifts in and out of games massively.

The general consensus since he came back in has been that he's proved himself to Dunn, unless I've imagined the comments on here?

Ive never understood this cheapest option thing.

Managers are generally paid a lot less on average than players, aside from fringe or youths. Id happily lose a dieng and brown from the squad and give their wages to a much better experienced manager. The gaps they leave is where the loan market should be utilised properly.

I think the same but I think the issue is that better more experienced manager would want a better budget than the peanuts we offer.

Chaddy "The Contradiction" Smoker was on here after Sheffield United telling us he knew all a long how good Winchester was behind the striker. Now he only plays for 15 minutes and creates nothing.

Poor guy is lost.

I remember it differently. Think he said that is his best position as it allows for his complete lack of industry. Edited by welshgaz

I remember it differently. Think he said that is his best position as it allows for his complete lack of industry.

Thank you Gaz. It just irks me that the same people who want us to play Winchester also want us to play 2 up front too and dont see the inherent contradiction.

There is nothing wrong with playing 4-4-1-1 even at home when we are on the front foot from the first minute, as we were against Sheff Utd.

But some on here were claiming that we had found the solution and it included Winchester. He played well and I said that he had played well.

Then we beat a :censored:e Swindon team full of reserves and Winchester played-I dont know how well but Philly won us the game.

Since then i have sat through 180 minutes of crap, during which Winchester has contributed for about 20 or 30 of those minutes, as has been blatantly obvious!

There was a thread on here asking about his fitness-I didnt contribute. He doesnt even do enough in any game to give us the chance to begin to judge his fitness.