Doncaster Rovers

A game lost by poor selection and tactics.

We know 4 4 2 just does not work for us as our midfield gets over run and the defence is not good enough.

We know Philliskirk does not play well in a centre midfield holding role - our top striker taken out of the game.

We know that Brian Wilson is not good at right back as he doesn't have the engine to get forwards and back again.

We know that putting Winchester in front of Brian Wilson is a mistake because he is will of the wisp and does not defend as well as others.

J Wilson has taken much of the blame but it was the wrong selection and the wrong tactics by the manager and coaching staff that gave us little chance of a win. We were well beaten once again even though due to missing the game Saturday the players had more energy to run around - running round does not win you games.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crowds won't pick up now no matter what happens, the rot has well and truly set in.

With a predominantly northern division, a new stand, operational as promised, and a half decent season we could have been looking at an extra 1000 average on the home attendance. That alone would have generated an extra £3/400,000 just on gate receipts.

I cannot believe how this season is turning out, it's been an absolute nightmare since day one!!!

Goes further back than that mate. Ever since the Ched Evans saga we have been complete crap - and I speak as someone who was in favour of giving the guy another chance. Not trying to go over old ground - what's done is done and this squad should be capable of doing much better than present - but the fact remains that ever since the CE fiasco our club has been on a downward spiral. You reap what you sow.

Edited by perfectOzblue

442 does work and has worked for years with us so 'Hands on' think your analysis is nonsense. Selection was the issue today nothing more nothing less. Winchester should have been benched for yeates, player of the month but sat on the Bench. Dummigan and mills need to start our next game too. J Wilson was a horror show all on his own yesterday and has been for weeks. Time for him to be benched.

A game lost by poor selection and tactics.

We know 4 4 2 just does not work for us as our midfield gets over run and the defence is not good enough.

We know Philliskirk does not play well in a centre midfield holding role - our top striker taken out of the game.

We know that Brian Wilson is not good at right back as he doesn't have the engine to get forwards and back again.

We know that putting Winchester in front of Brian Wilson is a mistake because he is will of the wisp and does not defend as well as others.

J Wilson has taken much of the blame but it was the wrong selection and the wrong tactics by the manager and coaching staff that gave us little chance of a win. We were well beaten once again even though due to missing the game Saturday the players had more energy to run around - running round does not win you games.

Just don't see what part tactics played in James Wilson's lack of defending for the first goal.

Their are 2 common misconceptions about formations

Firstly that 4-4-2 doesn't work in the modern game.

Secondly that 4-2-3-1 is to complicated for league 1 players to play.

Both are false assumptions.

Agreed. If a bunch of pissheads in my Sunday league team can manage more complicated than 442 I'm sure players who do it as their full time job can get their heads round it

It struck me that last season this probably would've been a fixture where one of our lads would've produced the special something akin to Andy Williams for Donny to win us the game.

Whether it was Winchester at Scunny and Fleetwood, Forte against Bradford and Coventry, Johnson and Philliskirk at Dale, Jones against Walsall and Swindon, we had that quality to overcome mid-table sides.

With the same group, it's reversed. That confidence has been lost. I wonder how symbolic the beginning of a new year will be to this bunch, or if it's too late for them to ever show that brilliance they did. If I was Dunn I'd be tugging at that chord. Colchester first game of a new year; you've got to hope that will be the beginning of the resurgence. The more I think about it, the more a Tranmere seems imminent without a change of mentality.

Edited by NewBlue