Colchester

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deary me, bang goes any attacking intent on the left flank, seems I was right all along with regards to the Mills/Dunn situation doesn't it!!

I was told a couple of months back that Mills refused to have an op in the summer saying he felt with a pre-season behind him he would be alright. He went off on holiday instead. The club were less than impressed.

Well if the rumours are true about questions being asked by the board, and Blitz (who showed up earlier in the year) and Gazal (at the last game and said to be going tomorrow) still pondering a say... There will be a lot of pressure on Corney to relent on his loyalty to Dunn if we lose.

However, action would need to be taken spectacularly quickly - arguably making dramatic change very unlikely. A rushed appointment could be costly - although I know rushed for Latics would be two months..! Hence, if a change does happen I can only see it being Dowie - who told the paper he wanted the job a while back, and was talking terms when Corney suddenly went hot on Kelly.

It would fit the bill as a quick fix to get the fans on side..would it?

Would he still have decent contacts/respect from his work with Sky?

Would he be simply better at motivating the players we have - if you take the view that steps seemingly haven't been taken forward ever since Holden was in interim charge?

Or do we wheel and deal under Dunn and hope better players, who we hope he knows, can get us out this mess even if the coaching is questionable? And then we reassess in the summer?

Would a potential successor need to be quizzed on the sly about who they would/could sign and why? If there's confidence in Dunn's targets (rumoured board opposition would suggest otherwise), the club could get the players and then make a change if results don't improve.

I'd say we are one to two games away from being cut adrift in the bottom four. Games in hand or not, it would be extremely difficult from there - no matter what ppl say about this many games left etc we might make changes and signings, but so will other clubs. And we're already a transfer window behind after summer's cock-up, and don't have the resources to make up that gap - although Kelly's sale may help.

Defeat tomorrow and we really are in the mire. And whatever route we take, it's a big gamble after recent ones (Kelly, Ched, Fuller) have all failed.

Well if the rumours are true about questions being asked by the board, and Blitz (who showed up earlier in the year) and Gazal (at the last game and said to be going tomorrow) still pondering a say... There will be a lot of pressure on Corney to relent on his loyalty to Dunn if we lose.

What's it got to do with Blitz or Gazal?

All i hear is talk talk talk about Wilson, he just needs to be loved, please tell me why?

I'll be satisified if he gets another chance, i get the sweetest feeling he would have cracking 2nd part of the season, i think he could be crucial in taking us higher & higher, so far all i hear is whispers !!!!!!!!!!!!

Defeat tomorrow and we really are in the mire.

I'd be happy if we played tomorrow. Colchester won't turn up until Saturday.

On a more serious note, though, a 6 pointer at this stage of the season is unthinkable, but it's what we've got. With regards binning off Dunn, I don't think it would do any good right now. To sack another manager within the first 4 months of the season starting would, IMO, undermine the entire team. Obviously confidence is most likely at an all time low, but now is the time to galvanise and pull together, not start making a change that drastic.

Look at it this way. If Dunn is sacked after Colchester, who the hell do you bring in that could immediately use the transfer window to improve the side? I'd rather wait to see what he does with the resources he's got and hope to God it comes off. But don't expect stellar signings; we haven't got the dosh for that sort of player and FFP hits us in the pocket with our financial turnover being what it is.

By the way, when do I start a thread specifically for those that want to moan about undisclosed fees? It's the way football is nowadays. Only the multi-million pound deals are disclosed, so let's forget what we get and what we pay for players. Just support what we've got, take your shoes off, face Mecca and pray for a resurgent second half of the season.

I'd be happy if we played tomorrow. Colchester won't turn up until Saturday.

On a more serious note, though, a 6 pointer at this stage of the season is unthinkable, but it's what we've got. With regards binning off Dunn, I don't think it would do any good right now. To sack another manager within the first 4 months of the season starting would, IMO, undermine the entire team. Obviously confidence is most likely at an all time low, but now is the time to galvanise and pull together, not start making a change that drastic.

Look at it this way. If Dunn is sacked after Colchester, who the hell do you bring in that could immediately use the transfer window to improve the side? I'd rather wait to see what he does with the resources he's got and hope to God it comes off. But don't expect stellar signings; we haven't got the dosh for that sort of player and FFP hits us in the pocket with our financial turnover being what it is.

By the way, when do I start a thread specifically for those that want to moan about undisclosed fees? It's the way football is nowadays. Only the multi-million pound deals are disclosed, so let's forget what we get and what we pay for players. Just support what we've got, take your shoes off, face Mecca and pray for a resurgent second half of the season.

Lol good point. That's the dilemma. But do you give money to a manager who hasn't impressed or shown an ability to improve the players, or do you believe that it's the players' fault.

It's bleak whichever way you look at it, but, if we are selling Kelly and then bringing say one or two in, you are still relying on Dunn to motivate and improve those players who are here now or are fringe first framers now. And he hasn't suggested he can do that at all - the opposite, concerningly, has occurred.

What worries me is the decline of the likes of Winchester, the chopping and changing, the way players have disappeared without trace (Rasulo, Coleman, Yeates not starting) after seemingly impressing.

There just isn't any cohesion and the constant changes smacks of a guy jumping from one plan to the next, with each one failing.

A new guy would need to have players lined up. But if I was a manager out of work and wanting a job, I would be attending games, researching, and already have targets in mind. That's what LJ did before he got the job with us. It's what Redfearn was doing also.

Edited by IceStationLatic

All i hear is talk talk talk about Wilson, he just needs to be loved, please tell me why?

I'll be satisified if he gets another chance, i get the sweetest feeling he would have cracking 2nd part of the season, i think he could be crucial in taking us higher & higher, so far all i hear is whispers !!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn’t think twice and have no pity, so that’s why there’ll be no next time to light my fire.

If Dunn did his next interview completely in puns would you donate a sizeable amount of money to playershare??

Seriously though keep them coming, there aren't many things even vaguely related to Latics worth smiling about at the moment!

The team I'd play tomorrow:

Coleman/Cornell (not fussed either way)

Dummigan

B Wilson

Dieng

Mills

Philliskirk

Wellens (assuming that Kelly won't play)

Jones

Yeates

Rasulo

Murphy

What I think we'll play:

Cornell

Dummigan

B Wilson

Dieng

Brown

Winchester

Philliskirk

Wellens

Jones

Cassidy

Murphy

The team I'd play tomorrow:

Coleman/Cornell (not fussed either way)

Dummigan

B Wilson

Dieng

Mills

Philliskirk

Wellens (assuming that Kelly won't play)

Jones

Yeates

Rasulo

Murphy

What I think we'll play:

Cornell

Dummigan

B Wilson

Dieng

Brown

Winchester

Philliskirk

Wellens

Jones

Cassidy

Murphy

Murphy is not a lone striker that has been proved. He needs to be part of a 2 up top!

Hopefully in that formation Rasulo will be so far advanced that he will effectively play like a 2nd striker.

Rasulo needs to be played behind a front two to give him the options to create chances.

Edited by BP1960

Rasulo needs to be played behind a front two to give him the options to create chances.

Fitting the other 7 outfield players around that is the difficult part.

The only time I've seen that work for us was when Gary McDonald played that position in Shez's first season, he could only do that because Wellens at his peak did everything else in midfield. Kelly might be able to do that role but it's unlikely that he'll be around for much longer.