Liam Kelly

The key thing is to be in a net better off position when the dust settles. Players come and go, Kelly is key to us but it doesn't matter if the rest of the team is deficient. If him going is the only way to get a better overall team then fair enough. But if we get it wrong this window we are well and truly :censored:ed.

The money won't be going on the team.

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cashing in on Kelly and replacing him with 3 or 4 poor/average players is counter productive, all this squad needed was 2 or 3 quality signings instead its been filled up with poor players who we wont be able to shift, barring Dummigan and Higdon we could of worked with what we had and results have proved that. If Kelly goes and it is still an If its going to lead to relegation, Wellens isn't anywhere near the player he was, he was part of a piss poor Donny team that have shot up the league since they dropped him, they won 1 in 18 with him in their side so I don't understand how he will be effective for us in a battle.

Did we not value him at more than £200k in the Korey Smith deal or is my memory amiss?

In isolation the fee looks reasonable but in the context of us recovering our money on a player who has gone from being a long term injury absentee to one of the best players in his position in the division, its not fantastic.

I would have hoped that even given his age we could get £300k+.

Did we not value him at more than £200k in the Korey Smith deal or is my memory amiss?

In isolation the fee looks reasonable but in the context of us recovering our money on a player who has gone from being a long term injury absentee to one of the best players in his position in the division, its not fantastic.

I would have hoped that even given his age we could get £300k+.

Did we not value him at more than £200k in the Korey Smith deal or is my memory amiss....

Think it was £100k so we have doubled our money....which just pays for Poleon who will probably end up going for nowt.

We desperately need the Tarkowski deal to go through in the next few days which would give us every chance of staying up, as it is we are going down!

Cashing in on Kelly and replacing him with 3 or 4 poor/average players is counter productive, all this squad needed was 2 or 3 quality signings instead its been filled up with poor players who we wont be able to shift, barring Dummigan and Higdon we could of worked with what we had and results have proved that. If Kelly goes and it is still an If its going to lead to relegation, Wellens isn't anywhere near the player he was, he was part of a piss poor Donny team that have shot up the league since they dropped him, they won 1 in 18 with him in their side so I don't understand how he will be effective for us in a battle.

Spot on.

I don't know whether he will treat this window as a short-term fix or a building his own squad.

Wellens isn't anywhere near the player he was, he was part of a piss poor Donny team that have shot up the league since they dropped him, they won 1 in 18 with him in their side so I don't understand how he will be effective for us in a battle.

I'd be worried if Wellens is to be a like for like replacement for Kelly, I'd much rather them as a pairing.

But the upturn in form for Rovers is surely down to Darren Ferguson coming in rather than them dropping Wellens??

I'd be worried if Wellens is to be a like for like replacement for Kelly, I'd much rather them as a pairing.

But the upturn in form for Rovers is surely down to Darren Ferguson coming in rather than them dropping Wellens??

You mean a manager goes in and with the exact same group of players wins 8 from 14, previous to that the same group had 2 wins in 16, not heard him tell the press he'd only want half a dozen of them if he had the choice though. Dropping Wellens was his biggest decision and it appears its paying off.

You mean a manager goes in and with the exact same group of players wins 8 from 14, previous to that the same group had 2 wins in 16, not heard him tell the press he'd only want half a dozen of them if he had the choice though. Dropping Wellens was his biggest decision and it appears its paying off.

Give it a rest FFS you don't need to tell us that our manager is :censored: in every single post, take a day off!!! I would love Dunn to turn this round because it would seriously piss you off wouldn't it?

Give it a rest FFS you don't need to tell us that our manager is :censored: in every single post, take a day off!!! I would love Dunn to turn this round because it would seriously piss you off wouldn't it?

What you mean I'd be pissed off watching a team I pay to watch home and away start winning? Nice logic. I'd be over the moon but its just not going to happen is it.

As one swallow doesn't make a summer, one player doesn't make or break a team.

But our manager is :censored:. ......myself yarddog and many others would love it (keegan style) if DD turned it round and shoved it down our throats. ..but he won't

I'd normally agree but the loss of Kelly last season was catastrophic for us.

Agreed, but only because we struggled tactically to adapt to his loss. Same as Donny struggled to adapt to Wellens losing pace and mobility. It worked for us with Shez to take into account his loss of the same/similar attributes and look how that turned.

Is there much point having a defensive midfielder in a team that still concedes goals anyway but doesn't score many?

Especially if he's one of our highest paid which I'd imagine he is.

If all is to be believed, Wilson, Mills and Kelly departing would leave a decent amount of wage free.

Have you watched Liam Kelly off the ball before, the guy's a leader - directing his team mates passes, shouting instructions, getting in the referees face when decisions don't go our way etc.

He's the one player I would of kept because you can tell it means so much to him.

Have you watched Liam Kelly off the ball before, the guy's a leader - directing his team mates passes, shouting instructions, getting in the referees face when decisions don't go our way etc.

He's the one player I would of kept because you can tell it means so much to him.

You've grown.

How many of the Doncaster squad played in the championship, or have won promotion before?

Genuine question as I don't know, but I'd guess more than ours.

Plus they've got Andy Williams, streets ahead of any of our forwards. Any manager needs something to work with.

And on Wellens, I've no idea whether he's still got it or not but he's been after a move back to the north west all season. So any poor form could be explained by that.

I agree but, like Korey Smith before him and, to a lesser extent, Furman are these not the real "luxury" players at a club like ours when creating & scoring goals has been a bigger problem than keeping them out?

Most teams we play are inept enough for us to not have to set up so defensively.

Why don't we try playing 20 yards further away from our goal as a way of keeping the opposition out rather than sitting deep and relying on one player to do pretty much everything.....?

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather we kept him as he's definitely one of our best players (and we might if his medical goes tits up), but - if his sale means we can get 2 or 3 in it might work out well

Losing Tarky & Baxter felt like the end of the world, this doesn't...

Edited by HarryBosch

- he is the ideal guy to lead a relegation battle, he is our best player.

I agree. However, the reality is, is that after 21 games he has played, a relegation battle is exactly what he has led us into Edited by L1onheartNew