Liam Kelly

It took Johnson two seasons to turn us (briefly) into a decent side.

So you're saying he didn't have a hand in improving us immediately when he took over. Please tell me what it is you see in Dunn that I'm managing to miss? Do you genuinely think he will keep us up?

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you're saying he didn't have a hand in improving us immediately when he took over. Please tell me what it is you see in Dunn that I'm managing to miss? Do you genuinely think he will keep us up?

I don't know if he will.

I don't see anybody obvious and realistic who could come in and make the immediate big difference people want.

Every team who has built a new stadium with the exception of Arsenal has been relegated. For new stadium read North Stand.

I have some sympathy therefore with the problems we are experiencing and I think staying up would be a commendable achievement and a credit to the club.......IF.....

The new stand is not the reason we are going down the football being served up is.

If Dunn stays we may go down. If he's sacked we definitely will, not because I think he's the next Guardiola but bringing in another new manager at this crucial stage of the season is mental. He'll want his own men with him, which he won't get so he'll have DH as his number two and we know how that goes, in addition he'll want to bring in new players, (even though like DK he won't have the contacts) so Kelly, Murphy and probably Philliskirk will all be sold plus I imagine whoever he is will want his team to play in his preferred style, which takes time that we haven't got, I also believe that whoever got the job would be told 'don't worry about relegation' and promised the chance to rebuild from League 2. The real culprit is Corney, if I were to bet on who is the first to go, Corney or the club I wouldn't be putting my fiver on Simon.

Also speaking from within the minority; I really don't know what people expect to happen after we sacked him. Other than a new rookie manager with a lower profile and greener horns than the one we have now.

Sadly I think you're right. As much as I don't trust Dunn, I trust the board even less.

The financial burden of the new stand is hamstringing us just as it did with all the others and it manifests itself with a struggling team

Bull:censored: look at the size of our squad and the budget it's enough to keep us up easily. Explain Swansea success when they moved to a new stadium? We made the wrong decisions in management the bizarre decision to give Darren Kelly the job then the almost equally daft decision to give Dunn the job has left us in this situation not the stand.

I read Simon Jordans book awhile back the ex owner/fan of Crystal Palace, his biggest regrets on running the club & thing he would change the most with the benefit of hindsight was the managerial appointments he made, he said get that right and everything else follows.

That sounds like a post hoc argument. It is a non sequitur.

When will people realise that the football manager is a middle manager in the organisation. In what other business are middle managers held responsible?

That sounds like a post hoc argument. It is a non sequitur.

When will people realise that the football manager is a middle manager in the organisation. In what other business are middle managers held responsible?

What! Practically every business in the country. It's only when there is a disaster do the Board get involved. And then it's the middle managers fault first. Self preservation of the highest order.

It's just seldom in the public domain.

Edited by singe

If Dunn stays we may go down. If he's sacked we definitely will, not because I think he's the next Guardiola but bringing in another new manager at this crucial stage of the season is mental.

Nonsense. Brian Talbot sacked 24th February with us stuck deep in the mire. Stayed up in the end.

I thnk Hank answered this question 10 posts earlier. Wrong time to be employing a new manager at this point, think who we would get? We have a track record of listing managers available on here who wouldn't even consider coming to BP followed by disappointment at the final appointment followed by a period of getting on his back etc. etc.......

I thnk Hank answered this question 10 posts earlier. Wrong time to be employing a new manager at this point, think who we would get? We have a track record of listing managers available on here who wouldn't even consider coming to BP followed by disappointment at the final appointment followed by a period of getting on his back etc. etc.......

In the time Dunn's been in post, Walsall and Burton have appointed managers that I think many would be happy to see here.

If we're just going to appoint another rookie, I agree we might as well stick with Dunn (and probably write this season off...), but the whole "manager X wouldn't even consider coming here" is a myth. If we can't attract decent names because we can't match the ambition of the likes of Burton and Walsall, I really don't know where we go now (other than down, obviously..).

I do get your point JoeP but Clough was always going to be attracted to Burton and Walsall are flying high and therefore a good challenge. Given the much touted impressive list of applicants we had prior to Kelly's appointment suggests we aren't willing or able to pay the salary the better managers want. So we get a Dickov, a Johnson, a Holden etc... all rookies (like Dunn). Reputationally we are probably known for giving new managers an opportunity, not a bad thing but certainly hasn't worked in our favour during 2015.

If we advertise for a new manager there will be plenty of experienced applicants who should realise the kind of salary on offer. Kind of disingenuous to apply otherwise. Or maybe hand Tony P the reigns for rest of the season with proviso and his reassurance that he returns to his current role in May. Whatever our position.

This club as failed miserably for a decade or more in reality. David Dunn's fault clearly. This bunch of players have failed miserably since long before Dunn's reign. Yes I agree sometimes a new manager gets a rise initially from the same bunch, but not always or sustained. I really have no idea if Dunn is clueless or behind the scenes is hampered by financial restraints. One thing I am convinced about is, this club needs new owners, with their own board. If only for fresh optimism and drive, plus a little money.

It's like cards though, you can only play the hand you're given. Wait til the next hand from Jan onwards. If nothing changes, then in my view it's fair to have a pop.

The above is not true i play poker for a living and 10 players can play the same cards with varying & different results.

Which also is the same as managers 10 managers can have the same squad of players & play different formations/systems, play conservative/adventurous, not motivate them by telling them they are not good enough & are being replaced or play the game get the best out of them until such a time you can replace them, but we do agree this transfer window is pivotal and all excuses will be removed.

Edited by mickjagger

This club as failed miserably for a decade or more in reality. David Dunn's fault clearly. This bunch of players have failed miserably since long before Dunn's reign. Yes I agree sometimes a new manager gets a rise initially from the same bunch, but not always or sustained. I really have no idea if Dunn is clueless or behind the scenes is hampered by financial restraints. One thing I am convinced about is, this club needs new owners, with their own board. If only for fresh optimism and drive, plus a little money.

Something definitely needs to happen at the top. Corney barely seems involved and the list of directors with glowing CVs brought in only to be never heard from again is bizarre. What are they all doing?

There are so many simple things wrong at the club. An example - I was in the toilets of the RRE earlier in the season and an advertising poster was asking for support for the submission of plans for the new stand. Do they not do walk rounds? Do they not keep a record of what is being advertised where? If they haven't sold that space then fine, but why not put a club advert in for hospitality, the club shop, boundary blues, playershare? Anything that might generate a bit of revenue.

We get so much wrong that wouldn't take much money to make a positive change. Just a bit of time, effort and common sense.