The "Oldham Athletic" Anthem!

Guest nonaenever

Guest nonaenever

Following on from the excellent Athleticos thread and the suggestions for a new song - I`ve always thought we need our own "signature anthem" at BP - so here's a little ditty I`ve put together, to be sang to the tune of that famous football-adopted song "Wild Rover":-

I`ve been an Oldham supporter for many a year

And I`ve spent all my money on football and beer

I`ve been down to Portsmouth and Stoke on the Trent

And because of the football, my money is spent

And it's no nae never

No nae never no more

Till we play Blackburn Rovers

No never no more

The Reebok, the Britannia - they're just fancy names

It's our Boundary Park that's the true home of the game

We've had "ooh Roger Palmer" and "Andy the Stitch"

And we once beat the Arsenal on our green plastic pitch

Repeat Chorus

My marriage is in tatters - my life's in disarray

Because I follow the Oldham, at home and away

God bless Alan Groves - the finest winger in the sky

I`ll follow the Oldham, till the day that I die

End with chorus

A few hundred Latics' fans blasting this out - sends shivers down my spine just thinking about it !

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nonaenever

Just "bless our Alan Groves" then if people object to God in there - those who remember the mercurial left winger Alan Groves will recall he died before he was even 30 from memory - finest dribbler of a ball I ever saw.

It would be brilliant to have something like this. Very good words too. It might be good to have a more original song - we already sing no nae never, as do Blackburn and Burnley - but I'd be well up for singing this in its own right.

Good luck spreading it out to the relevant people but if it's our anthem it should be our song.

Edited by NewBlue

Guest nonaenever

Totally agree about "Mouldy Old Dough" but that was just a record played as the teams came out at one time - was utterly brilliant but nobody sang to it. I`m thinking more of a song for us to "belt out" as fans containing some relevant stuff about the club - just a thought.

Does anyone else use the tune for oh when the blues??

Surely that's our unique tune.

I'll never forget the first time we sung it at Swindon in 2004. Fantastic atmosphere for a vital win.

I remember Sheff U doing when I was a kid (relegation game in the prem on a Tuesday night). Really slow and different sections doing at different times. Sounded class.

That game at Swindon was immense.

Does anyone else use the tune for oh when the blues??

Surely that's our unique tune.

I'll never forget the first time we sung it at Swindon in 2004. Fantastic atmosphere for a vital win.

Not that I'm aware, but I can see where nonaenever is coming from. When you think of Sheffield United, Liverpool, Everton, Blackburn, Norwich, City etc. they all have a longer song which they call their own. It would be good to have something like that, as much as OWTB is great.

I'm all for it apart from the bit about God.

i have the opposite problem. I don't mind singing 'god save our gracious...' but i just can't sing 'it.' i alway replace 'it' with Quinn.

'God save our gracious Quinn, God bless our noble Quinn, God save Mickey Quinn.' It doesn't make sense after that. 'Send him victori-arse, to kiss my hairy arse, long to reign over arse, God save the Quinn.' See, makes no sense.

Each unto their own....

I appreciate this isn't necessarily the right thread....

To I am the resurrection by The Stone Roses. Easy enough drum beat for the Athleticos to replicate.

Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you...

I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do....

You are the Shezurrection and you are alive....

I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I cried....

You are the Shezurrection and you are alive....

I'm glad you're back home stood upon my side.

Edited by lookersstandandy

The Hollies - The air that I breathe. I've said it before and I'll say it again; Oldhamify the lyrics to that and you've got an anthem that would sound BELTING ringing out from a packed stand of Latics fans.

Woof.

I've seconded before and I'll second again. Would be quality. So simple.