4 players needed

IMO before the end of Jan we need 4 players if we have any hope of staying up.

A keeper as Cornell is done at this club and Coleman although potentially a great prospect his decision making is :censored:e! He was involved with another mistake that cost us the game and his decision to punch (poorly) in the instead if catch 2nd half was horrendous and very nearly ended the game early.

2 centre half's as neither Wilson & Dieng are strong enough nor have the brains to defend for 90 minutes at this level. Leon Clarke & Tom Pope had no service at all today but he still made these 2 look mugs by winning every single header and out muscling them at every opportunity. They are both prone to at least 2, mistakes a half & their distribution is non existent. The fact that Dieng is not the worse of the 2 shows how far Wilson's game has dropped. His mistake could relegate us alone!

I never rated Mvoto but he wouldn't be out muscled every week & he never made the consistent mistakes Wilson makes.

We need a striker in the Ibhere mould. He doesn't necessarily needs to be a goal score per say but Forte showed last season he can thrive of f someone who he can play along side who will bully and hold the ball up for him. I believe Murphy could do the same but Cassidy is not the answer.

Shez reckons 9 wins! If we change that back 3 & add strength up front then maybe. If not then between the 3 of them they will cost us week after week!

Edited by palmer1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed about Wilson J. Costs us almost every game. The lad's head has gone completely. You can see he hates playing for the club and if what has been said about him having a pop at Shez today during the game is true then he needs to go on loan or released to do both parties some good.

Dieng is/will be good enough with a natural leader to tell him what to do and I think Coleman will be the same. Wilson's negative blame and back chat is crippling their development.

I agree about a striker. We do need a wrecking ball big lad. He doesn't need to be skillful or fancy, just a player that can hold the ball or flick it on that can bash defenders about a bit.

I'm hopeful we can extend Palmer's loan and I think Lafferty will also cone good with a leader on the pitch at the back. Unsure if Dummigan will come back after injury.

In light of all that we definitely need a new bolshy CB. Cover for wing back and a big striker. So I'd say 3 more players.

Will we be paying money for these players? No. They are likely to be LT loans or freebies. Do I trust Shez to bring in the right players? Absolutely. Just think they will arrive in dribs and drabs and not all next week.

I'm certain Shez knows how many we need and in what positions but question is will he be allowed to bring in exactly who he wants?

Defence is a must as you always build from the back and develop a strong spine to the team, which of course means a decent striker. My concern is whether one striker is enough or do we need two as the current crop don't appear to be capable of putting ball in the net.

I'm scratching my head because last season a midfield and strike force containing Kelly, Jones, Forte and Poleon generating us chances and goals. Players ability doesn't change but fitness and confidence are major factors - motivation and training regimes via the management influence this. Hopefully Shez delivers that impact as it's clearly obvious both have deteriorated since LJ left....well just before LJ's head was turned to pastures new - Yeovil in December 2014 was the day our decline started and we haven't recovered since.

Their must be a player infact a couple who are between 30-35 sat in the reserves of a championship side who's contracts are coming to an end and at the very least want to put themselves in the shop window.

This is where I would be looking in the first instance. Imagine if we could get a Gregan at the back and a Kuqi or a Beckett up top it would give us a fighting chance. Plus surely a Goalkeeper who is in the same brackets.

Their must be a player infact a couple who are between 30-35 sat in the reserves of a championship side who's contracts are coming to an end and at the very least want to put themselves in the shop window.

This is where I would be looking in the first instance. Imagine if we could get a Gregan at the back and a Kuqi or a Beckett up top it would give us a fighting chance. Plus surely a Goalkeeper who is in the same brackets.

grant holt would do a job for us ,if Wigan would share his wage.

grant holt would do a job for us ,if Wigan would share his wage.

Not a bad shout that and I believe we have the players such as Murphy and Forte and even Poleon when he puts his mind to it who would benefit from plaing alongside a player like that.

He could of course prove to be the next Chris Iwelumo but we need to take a chance right now.

If money is short spend it all on a centre half. The foundation of the team is soft and pulls everything out of shape.

Our position is the result of turning wins into draws and draws into losses as a result of a poor disorganised defence. Neither keeper is experienced enough to make up for the mistakes in front of them and confidence has suffered - either will perform better if the centre backs are co-ordinated and stronger.

If we can't get the centre half we need I suggest Corney finishes the North Stand and gets ready for league 2.

Every team around us are strengthening their squads and it looks like we are going to be picking up the scraps that nobody wants.....evidently it looks like we are offering peanuts and we all know what that buys don't we?

We need a striker and CB in tomorrow at the latest because if/when we lose at Shrewsbury the fat lady will be singing her heart out!!

We would have a record of 3 wins from 27 so looking at the fixture list and who we have to play a minimum of 10 from the remaining 19 is cloud cuckoo land!!!!

Since Chesterfield away we have managed only 2 points from a possible 27 and its now 10 weeks since we won a league game.

Edited by oafc1955

Obviously budget dictates but if Corney doesn't dig deep this week then his apathy regarding the club is there for everyone to see and cannot be argued by even the most staunch Corney supporter...if one exists outside the boardroom.

With our league position and his comments following Shez's appointment, should Corney not act immediately giving Shez the necessary support then it's obvious relegation or survival is irrelevant to his and his mates plans.

If the Independent article is accurate and we've generated £400k profit in the last year then the absence of any meaningful action by Corney is even more criminal.

We all know that it's now just the land and that stand wth the club being a hindrance; a boil on the backside of the north stand. There is a slither of hope that Corney still genuinely wants the club to succeed but I'm honestly not so sure now.

Someone like Ricardo Fuller?

Obviously budget dictates but if Corney doesn't dig deep this week then his apathy regarding the club is there for everyone to see and cannot be argued by even the most staunch Corney supporter...if one exists outside the boardroom.

If the Independent article is accurate and we've generated £400k profit in the last year then the absence of any meaningful action by Corney is even more criminal.

We all know that it's now just the land and that stand wth the club being a hindrance; a boil on the backside of the north stand. There is a slither of hope that Corney still genuinely wants the club to succeed but I'm honestly not so sure now.

The Accounts for the year to 30th June 2014 showed a profit of £450180 but included a FA Cup tie at Anfield.

The Accounts for 18 months to 30th June 2013 showed a profit of £283725 but included a trip to Anfield & home games v. Liverpool & Everton and a trip to Everton

Our lucks ran out, players wont be coming in because we dont pay and any money raised will be ploughed into Corneys more important projects like finishing a half baked stand and building more houses behind the Chaddy, the bloke should hang his head in shame for where he is taking us, I dont know how he gets away with it.

Whoever we want to sign regardless of the 'Corney won't dip his hand in his pocket debate' we have to fall in line with the FFP rules. The experienced players we need are often on silly money and I suspect putting all Our eggs in one basket may not work. It's a gamble.

For example Fortes salary is big and that's why we wanted rid to free up money but he wouldn't go as the deal he was offered at Barnsley was reduced terms. This is what will be happening with other more experienced players towards the back end of their careers. For them to get offered a shot term deal means they want big salary and we're potentially not prepared to give long term deals that would reduce that salary over all.

Just my thoughts anyway!

Whoever we want to sign regardless of the 'Corney won't dip his hand in his pocket debate' we have to fall in line with the FFP rules. The experienced players we need are often on silly money and I suspect putting all Our eggs in one basket may not work. It's a gamble.

For example Fortes salary is big and that's why we wanted rid to free up money but he wouldn't go as the deal he was offered at Barnsley was reduced terms. This is what will be happening with other more experienced players towards the back end of their careers. For them to get offered a shot term deal means they want big salary and we're potentially not prepared to give long term deals that would reduce that salary over all.

Just my thoughts anyway!

FFP is a load of bollocks, we struggle because some revenue generated by the club and surrounding land isn't included in our finances its split into different companies, as a result of this we get restrictions on our budget, Brassbank, OEC are two and theres probably others.

Having seen Shez's interview I'm worried he's being sold down the river by The board he knows what we need but by his expression, body language and tone there isn't the money to bring in targets that will improve us. He doesn't seem confident at all of additions. As chuffed as I am he's back I don't think he'll be here in August if the current hierarchy is. He'll walk away from this circus.

Edited by oafcprozac

We need a run from somewhere but having won only 11 of the last 51 I can't see that run happening. Relegation has been with us for some time positive momentum builds over time like it did over 4 or 5 years under Joe it felt like promotion was coming. Relegation has been coming since they sacked Shez we've been :censored: for seven years you can't keep selling your best players at the sniff of an offer year on year yes we're a selling club but it's been overkill the last 5 years or so. Selling your best players and replacing with loanees is only ever going to end in tears.

Having seen Shez's interview I'm worried he's being sold down the river by Corney he knows what we need but by his expression, body language and tone there isn't the money to bring in targets that will improve us. He doesn't seem confident at all of additions. As chuffed as I am he's back I don't think he'll be here in August if Corney is. He'll walk away from this circus.

That's my thoughts. Can the Trust not get the answers to questions around financial turnover, income, expenditure & P&L of the football club plus playing budget and budgetary scope for the remainder of this season?