Wigan (away): The Latics v Latics

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remember us taking around 4000 Easter bank holiday last time we played them. On the Sat took 3000 to Huddersfield two of the biggest followings and best atmospheres following Oldham.

Can't believe this was 13 years ago.

Particularly dislikeable bunch, these..

Memorable games against Wigan.

The Starbuck abuse game at the old (and one of the most decrepiit) stadium. Never seen before, or since for that matter, such universal vocal abuse for one of our own. That said, he is probably my vote for worst player I have ever had the misfortune to watch in the shirt.

The 1-0 at JJB where "The Leader of the Latics" bagged the winner after 87 minutes to end their unbeaten run. Couple of stand out memories from that evening:

(1) Pulling up outside the pretty impressive stadium for the first time and winding the window down to ask where the carpark was, and how much was it. The luminous coated steward ruefully pointed us the right direction and said "Three" - to which one of my mates in the car let lose with a volley of abuse about being rip-off merchants, should treat fans better when they have such a rich owner etc etc. as I drove off.

Only when we got the parking, we realised it wasn't "three", but "free". The steward must have been very perplexed.

(2) Walking back into the Bluebell (I think - modern-isa pub on Broadway, that has long since gone) after the game with our shirts and scarfs on, and vocal chords destroyed and being treated like heroes from the 'tics that had decided to watch the game on TV.

Guest nonaenever

Remember us taking around 4000 Easter bank holiday last time we played them. On the Sat took 3000 to Huddersfield two of the biggest followings and best atmospheres following Oldham.

Yes I went to those 2 as well - utterly fantastic and very vocal followings - the Wigan fans, police and stewards were absolutely gob-smacked at the Latics' turnout that day - remember the police saying they only expected about 1200 at the most - wonder if we will ever have such days again?

If we could grab another win before then I'd fancy us to take around 2000.

We've not done that for an away game that wasn't Bury or Rochdale for ages. Would be good to topple the 2000 mark.

And nonaenever, have a couple of good seasons and we will. You've got to have consistent success to start attracting crowds, not just a bit of form

Edited by NewBlue

We've not done that for an away game that wasn't Bury or Rochdale for ages. Would be good to topple the 2000 mark.

And nonaenever, have a couple of good seasons and we will. You've got to have consistent success to start attracting crowds, not just a bit of form

Liverpool

Everton

Huddersfield

If we beat Blackpool that'll be two wins on the bounce and then, providing Peterborough can get a replay off WBA, it'll

mean that game is postponed and we'd be then heading into the away game at Wigan on the back of two wins and some fans will have extra money in their pocket. More potential to hit 2000+ at Wigan then.