Anthony Gerrard

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure that was said 12 months ago, and we ended up with Gavin Gunning and Jonny Burn coming in. There's clearly not an abundance of them about.

We'd massively miss him if he went, the rest of our defence has zero leadership skills. Not convinced he'd cut it in the Championship, which is where it sounds like he thinks he belongs.

Presumably we were looking at them because they were cheap/free and Kelly was mad. It's plain that Gerrard is aiming for top whack, there certainly will be options for that.

Sure that was said 12 months ago, and we ended up with Gavin Gunning and Jonny Burn coming in. There's clearly not an abundance of them about.

We'd massively miss him if he went, the rest of our defence has zero leadership skills. Not convinced he'd cut it in the Championship, which is where it sounds like he thinks he belongs.

Depends who finds them.

Edited by BP1960

Can you imagine them in wall. No way would anyone get the ball round that three. Lockwood in the middle of the two larger boned gentlemen - they shall not pass!

The wing backs wouldn't half have a lot of covering work to do though.

Still hoping for Cameron Burgess, just had a fine loan spell at Cheltenham and will have learned a lot from that.

Quite the opposite of an experienced head that we so clearly need, as would the likes of Coleman, Edmundson & Dieng.

Quite the opposite of an experienced head that we so clearly need, as would the likes of Coleman, Edmundson & Dieng.

There will be plenty of experienced heads about when the retained lists are out, but if good young players are available within your budget you snap them up, Shez has shown he has an eye for spotting hungry young players

I don't believe there will be better out there within our budget, Gerrard knows the club, fits our style of play, the rest of the defence obviously respect him on the pitch and up their games accordingly.

There could be defenders who are taller and faster but would that benefit us?

imagine two James Wilsons side by side.....

I don't believe there will be better out there within our budget, Gerrard knows the club, fits our style of play, the rest of the defence obviously respect him on the pitch and up their games accordingly.

There could be defenders who are taller and faster but would that benefit us?

imagine two James Wilsons side by side.....

I'd be amazed if our style of play is similar next season.

I thought Gerrard's interview was very good. In his own way he basically said :censored: you to those that didn't want him. He had points to prove and he has done just that. He now has a "forever" affection with Latics. Irrespective of whether or not he moves on, what he has done in instilling confidence within the defensive unit, should never be underestimated. It will look good on his CV and he may well get the captaincy as a result/reward.

That in itself may free up Kelly to just get on with playing.

There will be plenty of experienced heads about when the retained lists are out, but if good young players are available within your budget you snap them up, Shez has shown he has an eye for spotting hungry young players

And that experienced head in the centre of our defence who can lead the back 4 should be our number 1 target should Gerrard go.

In other areas of the pitch I believe we can find those young hungry players.

I'm struggling to work out the criteria for players that can leave with our best wishes without being abused.

It's seems everybody gets abuse nowadays, unless they do an interview politely telling us all that our club isn't big enough and don't pay enough. It's seen as refreshing & honest?

Now despite the fact we all know that's the reason most players leave us many still go out of their way to abuse them on their return anyway despite offering much longer service than Gerrard.

What happened to 'if they don't want to be here :censored: em'?

Edited by palmer1

criteria?

1. did they bust-a-gut while here?

2. did they make a positive/decisive contribution?

3. did they show some pride, even if it was professional pride?

or

1. were they just crap?

2. did they strut around like a tart?

3. did they look like they didn't give a :censored: and would really rather be anywhere else?

feel free to build on my nearly exhaustive list.

criteria?

1. did they bust-a-gut while here?

2. did they make a positive/decisive contribution?

3. did they show some pride, even if it was professional pride?

or

1. were they just crap?

2. did they strut around like a tart?

3. did they look like they didn't give a :censored: and would really rather be anywhere else?

feel free to build on my nearly exhaustive list.

So every player that ever left is crap?

Because in the last 5 years or so every returning player has been booed apart from Baxter.

Abuse and standard booing are two very different things.

'Standard booing' of a returning player? The fact it has a name. In my first 12 years watching Latics only 2 players where booed on their return. Mick Quinn & Paul Warhurst. They both received abuse. Now it's 'standard'

Complete bollocks. Even Jabo Ibhere got a round of applause...

Ibhere? Did he even play a season for us? I don't recall a big reception.

Dare to suggest someone that actually had a proper contract?

Nearly all returning players are booed.Some get abuse because they decided for themselves they wanted to leave. That's not bollocks!

Edited by palmer1

'Standard booing' of a returning player? The fact it has a name. In my first 12 years watching Latics only 2 players where booed on their return. Mick Quinn & Paul Warhurst. They both received abuse. Now it's 'standard'

Standard booing as in every club in the country does it. A flippant boo by a handful of fans is not abuse. Bloody hell.

I'd imagine it's done sarcastically half of the time n all. Most players that pass through the club don't generate enough passions.

In any case which players have actually been booed by a significant portion of the crowd, aside from Porter in the past few years?

Standard booing as in every club in the country does it. A flippant boo by a handful of fans is not abuse. Bloody hell.

I'd imagine it's done sarcastically half of the time n all. Most players that pass through the club don't generate enough passions.

In any case which players have actually been booed by a significant portion of the crowd, aside from Porter in the past few years?

Furman, possibly.