Anthony Gerrard

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While not asking Shez directly on LP. Got the impression he's staying. As for Gerrard you cant tell but give him a 2 year contract with an option for another year and you never know. Hope it happens.

Why not 3 years?

Pace isn't a part of his game so he should still be doing what he does at 32 & beyond...

Lets not :censored: about for once. I don't think its an exaggeration to say he could be worth 5 to 10 league places next season...

Gregan's long range passing was sublime at times, as was Stefan Stam's...

If Gerrard stays, which I think he will, we might benefit from widening the pitch :grin:

Gregan was a lardy bugger but he could play, unlike the vast majority of centre halves at this level.

Gregan's long range passing was sublime at times, as was Stefan Stam's...

If Gerrard stays, which I think he will, we might benefit from widening the pitch :grin:

I think we'd lose from it, as he struggles to reach the touchline to clear danger under pressure. Genuinely the first player I've seen who can head a ball further than he can kick it.

I'll not mind if he signs on terms for an average 3rd division stopper if Shez wants him, but that's all he is. He was crucial at the time because he was available - because he massively overestimated how good he is and was out of work. It's a different story now.

He's done brilliantly for us but he genuinely seems to believe he can do better and believes that his stint here has demonstrated that(look at his twitter feed).

If we do sign him it will probably be just before the start of the season when a better offer has failed to materialise. He won't leave it until January to start getting paid this time. His wife won't let him with another baby on the way.

It was interesting to hear him say that it was Corney who signed him and he didn't meet Shez until he got on the coach to Shrewsbury.

The only kick in the teeth is if he goes to another run of the mill League 1 club like us, if it's only teams like that show interest then I'd hope he'd sign for us as long as the wages are similar.

He's not fast and if he gets dragged out following his man then he's out of the game as he's too slow to turn and get back but for his aerial ability, positioning, no nonsense approach but most importantly his influence on Coleman, Dieng, Wilson etc you have to push the boat out. He makes at a minimum 3 other players games better by being on the pitch.

Yes. Exactly what you said.

You see that little squiggly thing at the end with a dot under it? Important as it gives my post a bit of context. I was asking not saying.

The reason I asked was to see why loyalty should be expected of some and not others. Gerrard has openly said that he's looking to get back to the Championship and this spell at Oldham was to put himself in the shop window and prove he still had it. He's never been anything but open about his future. If we can offer the best deal for him then he'd stay. Fair enough.

Shez - I'm massively grateful for what he's done in keeping us up but that doesn't buy a free pass for him to do as he wants as far as I'm concerned. He's talked of unfinished business, planning for next season, and has signed a long term contract. He would have been kept on and had the backing of the majority of fans if we'd gone down and he's always talked as if he's here to stay for a while. I'm not naive though, I know that if a good opportunity presents itself, both financially and as a career move, then he's right to go for it. But I don't consider Bolton to be that move. They're in our league, are in a financial mess, and there will be huge pressure to go straight back up. It's all about personal opinion, and while I don't think Shez 'owes' us anything, he has an opportunity here to build something long lasting which will hopefully mean more than a few extra quid every month. And if he achieves it then a lot bigger opportunities would come up than Bolton. I'd be disappointed if he left.

Porter - I can't remember what he was saying or promising at the time but it felt like a :censored:ty thing he did and I was really pissed off. But as players/managers we like are excused for getting the best deal for themselves, why so much hatred for him? He scored a lot of goals and got us to the play offs, we didn't go up so he went off and got the best deal he could. Looking back on it with a bit more perspective, why was loyalty demanded of him so much?

Porter - I can't remember what he was saying or promising at the time but it felt like a :censored:ty thing he did and I was really pissed off. But as players/managers we like are excused for getting the best deal for themselves, why so much hatred for him? He scored a lot of goals and got us to the play offs, we didn't go up so he went off and got the best deal he could. Looking back on it with a bit more perspective, why was loyalty demanded of him so much?

He said one thing and then did another, exploiting a loop hole to deny Latics a fee.

I'll not mind if he signs on terms for an average 3rd division stopper if Shez wants him, but that's all he is. He was crucial at the time because he was available - because he massively overestimated how good he is and was out of work. It's a different story now.

Aye, whilst he's played a key role in Latics avoiding relegation this season, he seems a bit of an arrogant prick to me. He's not as good as he thinks he is.

Twice in the last 3 seasons we've brought in an experienced, agricultural stopper who's transformed a leaky defence (Lockwood then Gerrard).

Twice in the last 3 seasons many of you have decided - "I'm not bothered if he goes, he's just a clogger"...

Twice in the last 3 seasons we've had to sign a new vastly experienced clogger to replace the vastly experienced clogger many of you weren't bothered about keeping and that vastly experienced clogger has saved our season...

Let's just start next season with a vastly experienced clogger at the heart of our defence from the off for once, preferably Gerrard...

Edited by HarryBosch

If he goes there will be plenty of centre backs just as good if not better available within our budget pre season.

Sure that was said 12 months ago, and we ended up with Gavin Gunning and Jonny Burn coming in. There's clearly not an abundance of them about.

We'd massively miss him if he went, the rest of our defence has zero leadership skills. Not convinced he'd cut it in the Championship, which is where it sounds like he thinks he belongs.