New Shirt 2016-17

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was speaking to staff in sports direct said that both home and away kits are ready, there just waiting to get rid of more old stock. Was told the home is very similar and away will be white. The red shirt will become the third kit.

So the home shirt will be a clone of many other clubs as usual? We need a kit which gives the club its own identity. The cheapest option has been taken on design though I suppose.

Was speaking to staff in sports direct said that both home and away kits are ready, there just waiting to get rid of more old stock. Was told the home is very similar and away will be white. The red shirt will become the third kit.

So they want to flog us all this seasons shirts before they put next seasons on sale

Hope the away kit is similar to the special white one from a few years back worn at Shrewsbury, I think. That was the nicest for a long time.

So the home shirt will be a clone of many other clubs as usual? We need a kit which gives the club its own identity. The cheapest option has been taken on design though I suppose.

something like this will do me Oldham_Athletic_1961-1962.gif

doesnt the badge do that?

people know us for playing in blue. if we changed to the same strip as the 60s we wouldnt be reconisable

doesnt the badge do that?

people know us for playing in blue. if we changed to the same strip as the 60s we wouldnt be reconisable

The point is the 60s kit was recognisable, it was one of the things that attracted me to club as it was unique.

Wasn't the last time they asked our opinion when we ended up with that god awful monkey sick coloured away kit?

Not too bothered about the away kit, (Sheffield Wednesday's was awful last night) its the home kit that needs a unique identity.

The big problem for me is the manufacturer, the shirts are of such a poor quality.

Some fans would buy them at rip off prices even if they were potato sack shirts.

Edited by BP1960

And the club never takes any notice or asks the fans opinions. Why don't the Trust bring this subject up at board meetings?

Because it will make no difference? Like every year; we do not have the finances to influence the design. Man United, as one of the richest clubs in the world, have to concede on design choices - how in the :censored: can we expect to influence them?

Because it will make no difference? Like every year; we do not have the finances to influence the design. Man United, as one of the richest clubs in the world, have to concede on design choices - how in the :censored: can we expect to influence them?

so we couldnt approach a local textile company like harveys and ask them to manufacture a unique shirt for us ? would keep the money local and i bet they would jump at the extra business and tunover ? they all ready maunfacture work wear etc wouldnt be that much different for them to run off 5k replica shirts

So you are saying in effect the Trust has no influence on the board, just lip service?

Anyway, United's kit is only tweaked, its always the traditional red shirts white shorts.

I hope the colour of blue is kept. This has been the best kit for me for years. Felt like a latics kit.

If we started playing in Orange / Tangerine I can honestly say I would lose some association with the club.

The fans have been divided enough recently. We play in blue, we have done for 50 years. Wanting to go away from that, is frankly bizzare. Why would someone want to change?

Edited by pukka

so we couldnt approach a local textile company like harveys and ask them to manufacture a unique shirt for us ? would keep the money local and i bet they would jump at the extra business and tunover ? they all ready maunfacture work wear etc wouldnt be that much different for them to run off 5k replica shirts

Will they offer them to us for the same price? Will they offer a buy-back guarantee? Will they sell them in their chain stores around the UK?

Example (very simple numbers, ignoring kids sizes, taxes, etc. etc.):

Units 5,000

Sale Price £50

Revenue = £250,000

LOCAL

Cost £15 a shirt = £75,000

Profit = £175,000

Break Even = 1500 units sold

BRANDED

Cost £8 a shirt = £40,000

Profit = £210,000

Break Even = 800 units sold

Now I fully accept the numbers are speculative at best, but I believe they're a fair indication and I am confident that the club have done at least some research in to this. Can we afford to gamble £35,000 in profit? Will sales from a local firm be sufficient to increase the number sold by 700 (again, for simplicity I'm ignoring the fact those 700 would come with additional costs too).

I would love a unique kit like everyone else but economically it would be reckless of the club. We'd all sit here in 18 months bemoaning it!

So you are saying in effect the Trust has no influence on the board, just lip service?

Anyway, United's kit is only tweaked, its always the traditional red shirts white shorts.

Well yes, I've been saying that about the Trust for 5 years but I get what you mean. Of course they can/should talk to the club about it - indeed I would hope that they could share a "this is why we can't" example (not with commercially sensitive numbers, of course) akin to mine above. But like you say, that's not going to happen and personally I think there's more important things they've got to be doing (where's the stand money going, etc.) than worrying about the kit style/shade of blue.

But then this could be a copy and paste from any summer of the last few years when this comes up so what's the point worrying?