New Shirt 2016-17

Will they offer them to us for the same price? Will they offer a buy-back guarantee? Will they sell them in their chain stores around the UK?

Example (very simple numbers, ignoring kids sizes, taxes, etc. etc.):

Units 5,000

Sale Price £50

Revenue = £250,000

LOCAL

Cost £15 a shirt = £75,000

Profit = £175,000

Break Even = 1500 units sold

BRANDED

Cost £8 a shirt = £40,000

Profit = £210,000

Break Even = 800 units sold

Now I fully accept the numbers are speculative at best, but I believe they're a fair indication and I am confident that the club have done at least some research in to this. Can we afford to gamble £35,000 in profit? Will sales from a local firm be sufficient to increase the number sold by 700 (again, for simplicity I'm ignoring the fact those 700 would come with additional costs too).

I would love a unique kit like everyone else but economically it would be reckless of the club. We'd all sit here in 18 months bemoaning it!

Well yes, I've been saying that about the Trust for 5 years but I get what you mean. Of course they can/should talk to the club about it - indeed I would hope that they could share a "this is why we can't" example (not with commercially sensitive numbers, of course) akin to mine above. But like you say, that's not going to happen and personally I think there's more important things they've got to be doing (where's the stand money going, etc.) than worrying about the kit style/shade of blue.

But then this could be a copy and paste from any summer of the last few years when this comes up so what's the point worrying?

No worries, I'd still watch them playing in knickerbockers, however I do feel there must be similar designs to the traditional shirt on the current manufacturers shelves, we don't have to choose the plainest nondescript kits.

Edited by BP1960

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it will make no difference? Like every year; we do not have the finances to influence the design. Man United, as one of the richest clubs in the world, have to concede on design choices - how in the :censored: can we expect to influence them?

They could just ask us what colour away kit we want.

I don't understand why we don't just have 3 kits which are always the same colour, with a slight redesign. Blue home, tangerine away, white third. Colours that a lot of fans can identify with. None of this red nonsense, or green, or bloody fluo yellow.

No worries, I'd still watch them playing in knickerbockers, however I do feel there must be similar designs to the traditional shirt on the current manufacturers shelves, we don't have to choose the plainest nondescript kits.

In the style of the Ajax home shirt - blue rather than red. Sorted.

Not too bothered about the away kit, (Sheffield Wednesday's was awful last night) its the home kit that needs a unique identity.

Interesting... I thought Sheff Wednesday's kit was really nice. Unique and looked decent quality to say it was sondico. Especially compared to how cheap :censored:e and boring ours looks. Kits divide opinion anyways... Will never get one that everyone likes

Interesting... I thought Sheff Wednesday's kit was really nice. Unique and looked decent quality to say it was sondico. Especially compared to how cheap :censored:e and boring ours looks. Kits divide opinion anyways... Will never get one that everyone likes

Not sure how you can compare quality from the tv , and it was made by Sondico , the same as ours.

It was certainly unique - although that doesn't make it appealing . You're right that kits divide opinion :-) ?

Edited by LaticsPete

Burton Fans were a bit puzzled about our Kit selection at their place

Fans singing "Johnny Sheridans Blue & White Army" and "Oldham play in Blue & Tangerine"

The Lads were wearing our Red Kit !! :thumbsdown:

Pure Genius

Because it will make no difference? Like every year; we do not have the finances to influence the design. Man United, as one of the richest clubs in the world, have to concede on design choices - how in the :censored: can we expect to influence them?

The club must have some input. I presume they can state, for example, that this year we want blue shirts, blue shorts and white socks? The manufacturer would then use one of their templates to match our 'general' request. Anyone know how the process works?

so we couldnt approach a local textile company like harveys and ask them to manufacture a unique shirt for us ? would keep the money local and i bet they would jump at the extra business and tunover ? they all ready maunfacture work wear etc wouldnt be that much different for them to run off 5k replica shirts

Not during the term of the agreement with Sports Direct we couldn't, no.

The club must have some input. I presume they can state, for example, that this year we want blue shirts, blue shorts and white socks? The manufacturer would then use one of their templates to match our 'general' request. Anyone know how the process works?

Exactly that level of input will be had, I expect (hence why we sometimes end up with the "wrong" blue)... gone are the days of Umbro coming out with 20 different designs to pick from (god love the Green Mountains!). Now it'll be selected just like any of us could buy a Sunday League kit.

Last seasons kits were designed by a local company and then manufactured by Sondico weren't they?

Eden Creative I think the name is.

If so they did a good job, I always thought there would be more money to be made from designing our own kits and merch and getting them made up on the cheap like Portsmouth used to do but that might not be the case anymore considering recent deals with jd & sportsdirect included a town centre store stocking our product/s

Last seasons kits were designed by a local company and then manufactured by Sondico weren't they?

Eden Creative I think the name is.

The design was nondescript, with no Oldham Athletic identity, some may like it, I don't, but that's my opinion and as a self confessed dinosaur I may well be in the minority.

The design was nondescript, with no Oldham Athletic identity, some may like it, I don't, but that's my opinion and as a self confessed dinosaur I may well be in the minority.

You seem to only identify with the kit from the 60s though as thats what you associate with good times & your youth perhaps?

I identify with this seasons kits for the same reason.

The non Oldham Athletic fans would not identify us in a kit similar to the 60s because bar an odd season we have played in all blue or blue shirts white shorts. Id go as far to say that the majority of fans in the country and current Latics fans identify us as wearing all blue. We just need to pick a shade of blue and stick to it.

All this tangerine nonsence I read is bollocks aswell. We play in blue and white

Edited by palmer1