New Shirt 2016-17

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really smart kits we've had this season, Eden did indeed design them, based on the 90/91 kits.

A real shame that they only last one season nowadays, none of them stick around long enough to become iconic.

By the by, the tacky gold-trimmed numbers and letters on the back of shirts have finally bitten the dust. Plainer, late 80s-style design from next season.

Our first kit was red and white stripes, blue shorts and black socks if we want tradition let's revert to that, as has been mentioned it's a generation thing, I liked last year's kits and most of our fan base can associate with blue home and red away kits, I don't see a problem with them.

Our first kit was red and white stripes, blue shorts and black socks if we want tradition let's revert to that, as has been mentioned it's a generation thing, I liked last year's kits and most of our fan base can associate with blue home and red away kits, I don't see a problem with them.

The red and white was used only for the first three years of the club - by the time we were in the Manchester League & Lancs Combination prior to the Football League we had adopted the blue and white stripes . Red and white was never traditional , a term that implies longevity .

Wolves originally played in red & white stories but no one would say that was traditional for them ..Same with Newcastle.And Norwich began in blue and white .

For all of them it was the later continuity of kit that became "tradition"

Edited by LaticsPete

Keep it blue and bring back the Chaddy!!!!!! every other stand gives me hypothermia......

Red for the away. Reminds me of the glory years. Shankly went to all red because of the psychological edge that red gives you.

Not giving them much edge tonight though eh?

I started watching Latics in 1905, and I'd like to see the red and white stripes back.

and you've grasped the Internet, a very quick learner we have here.

Side note: Sorry BP1960 but you really need to accept that things change, people move on, time moves on and like it or not, everything isn't going to be tailored to your wants and needs - I like some of the stuff you post but when it comes to changing things back to how it was in the 60s it's frustrating to read... especially when it's abuse aimed at the club simply for keeping up with times.

As Opinions said, possibly a vote between 4 different strips that have been created on the internet could be a good idea, but there's only so many things a club of our size can do to accommodate for all different types of fans.

The design was nondescript, with no Oldham Athletic identity, some may like it, I don't, but that's my opinion and as a self confessed dinosaur I may well be in the minority.

I'm not sure how it has no identity when surely most neutrals over 35 would associate us with an all blue kit.

I do think though that a teams home kit shouldn't change, especially as often as we do. So id like us to pick a home kit and stick with it. Whether that's all blue or the one from the 60s (I'd probably vote for that one) or even blue and tangerine.

You could ask for fan designs to be submitted, pick a shortlist then have a vote.

Then probably have to pick the nearest off the peg sports direct design that matches it.

Don't care about away kits, they can dick around with that as much as they like.

The design was nondescript, with no Oldham Athletic identity, some may like it, I don't, but that's my opinion and as a self confessed dinosaur I may well be in the minority.

You seem to only identify with the kit from the 60s though as that's what you associate with good times & your youth perhaps?

I identify with this seasons kits for the same reason.

The non Oldham Athletic fans would not identify us in a kit similar to the 60s because bar an odd season we have played in all blue or blue shirts white shorts. Id go as far to say that the majority of fans in the country and current Latics fans identify us as wearing all blue. We just need to pick a shade of blue and stick to it.

All this tangerine nonsense I read is bollocks as well . We play in blue and white.

I started watching Latics in 1970, but I wouldn't want the club reverting to a tangerine (or was it electric orange?) and blue kit. However, I'd still like to see the club return to the blue and white half shirts, which Latics wore on an off between 1910 and 1966.

As palmer 1 states we play in blue and white and, for me, this season's kit does not have enough white in it.

Templates of all kits can be found at http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Oldham_Athletic/Oldham_Athletic.htm

An interesting comment on Oldham's page about the 1960's: "the distinctive blue and white shirts were dropped in favour of a garish orange and blue outfit."

I'm not sure how it has no identity when surely most neutrals over 35 would associate us with an all blue kit.

I do think though that a teams home kit shouldn't change, especially as often as we do. So id like us to pick a home kit and stick with it. Whether that's all blue or the one from the 60s (I'd probably vote for that one) or even blue and tangerine.

You could ask for fan designs to be submitted, pick a shortlist then have a vote.

Then probably have to pick the nearest off the peg sports direct design that matches it.

Don't care about away kits, they can dick around with that as much as they like.

I used to always buy the home kit when I knew it would be for 2 seasons. I refuse to now at the price, for it to change 12 months later. Last one I bought was when they did the £20 off with a Season Ticket as I felt it was worth it for 1 season. Had I known the new kit would be very similar to this seasons (not that they would release that info) I would've gone and got this seasons...so they would've been better just saying at the start though that they are having this 1 kit for 2 seasons. I'd love to know how many won't buy the home kit now because it changes every season.

Edited by boundaryblue80

I started watching Latics in 1970, but I wouldn't want the club reverting to a tangerine (or was it electric orange?) and blue kit. However, I'd still like to see the club return to the blue and white half shirts, which Latics wore on an off between 1910 and 1966.

As palmer 1 states we play in blue and white and, for me, this season's kit does not have enough white in it.

Templates of all kits can be found at http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Oldham_Athletic/Oldham_Athletic.htm

An interesting comment on Oldham's page about the 1960's: "the distinctive blue and white shirts were dropped in favour of a garish orange and blue outfit."

Some of us might like garish

this is it for me distinctive as stated above pick a kit and stick with it just minor detail changes every season collar trim etc but keep the main part of the kit distinctive either blue shirt white shorts post 73 or blue and white thirds pre 70s .

pale blue you know its city red shirt black shorts manure all red scousers all white dirty leeds barcodes geordie bottlers .